Gary Fisher Mt. Tam Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Gary Fisher Mt. Tam Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Mt. Tam

[Jun 26, 2012]
Todd T

Strength:

Solid, well built bike with fantastic handling and looks great too. I bought this bike 10 years ago and have moved from the MB tires to more of a smooth hybrid type tire and getting around town is a breeze. Normally dont ride over 25 miles but it handles that just as well as my old road bike (maybe not quite as fast).

My shifters have given me a bit of trouble over time but that is pretty typical for a 10 YO bike. Have had no trouble other than that. Some people might not like the dark green but to me it looks good.

GREAT bike! If you can find one BUY IT.

[Feb 22, 2012]
Diamond-D
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Handling. Handling. Handling. I just love this bike! It loves to climb and once you get used to the geometry, it loves to descend. That does take a little getting used to, though. The bike is gorgeous too with the polished aluminum frame. I have two sets of wheels for it so with the street tires it makes a grate urban assault bike.

The only real problem is the Rock Shox Judy XC. It is still functional but there is no adjustment left so I have it crank all the way to max.

I went in to a consignment shop to sell my girlfriends old snow board and saw this bike in the rack for $400! It fit me so I took it around the block and had to have it. It had never been ridden. Not a single scratch on the pedals (that is not the case anymore) and all the little rubber teats were still on the 12 year old tires! This thing is a blast on the trails. I was a die hard steel frame road snob before but this bike changed all that. My road bike is getting a little dusty with this new kid in town. Especially with having a set of road wheels for it, I jam around town and ride out to the beach and tear up the actual mountain it was named for- Mt. Tamalpais. This baby does it all and well. Buy one if you can find one. -Diamond D

Basso steel frame road bike with all Dura Ace

[Jun 16, 2008]
johnnym85

Strength:

This bikes a billy goat climbing up a mountain. Its light, fast and really needs no rider when it'll happily climb a hill on its own steam. Gotta admit that going downhill can be a little scary when all it wants to do is race F1 cars or atleast match their speed.

She's a damn bright colour and seems to attract punctures on a weekly basis but that might be due to the area i live in.

I've had this bike for 2 years now and though i don't get as much time to ride her lately. everytime i go out on her she offers me so much joy. I mock those slow riders and laugh at the fools pushing their bikes up hill when all i need do is just shift my weight and by beauty does all the work. The Mt Tam is a very fast and very sexy feeling bike. if only my girlfriend was a little bit the same.

muddy fox

[Jun 10, 2003]
Danick Archambault

Strength:

Genesis Genesis and Genesis. The geometry is just the best out there...at least in my opinion! And after 5 years of racing, the frame is still strong.

Bontrager components. I hope that Bontrager improved their products since 1998! Thus the reason why the overall Chilis is at 4.

I Purchased this bike at the beginning of the 1998 race season...and have been racing with it ever since...Why? Why change something great? Oh sure, most parts have been replaced over the past few years (the Bontrager Race wheels had to be changed after two years, the SID this year) but the overall performance of this bike made it unnecessary t change.

So if you are looking for a good second hand bike, a Gary Fisher will do the job!

Specialized M2, Mongoose NX7.2

[Jun 19, 2007]
Brad Maestas

Strength:

Light, fast, well-balanced, has been reliable for over 10 years

slightly tight cornering, stock Judy front shock isn't very stiff

I have been using this bike exclusively since I bought it in 1997. Being my first real mountain bike, it has a special place in my heart. I wouldn't trade it for anything! If you're a bit of a gearhead and you like to tinker, this bike responds very well to upgrading. All qualms aside, this is (was) one of the lightest and most enjoyable hardtails out there. I'm gonna have to get something else eventually but I just can't bring myself to do it. I'll be riding this one until it's a pile of shavings.

Not surprisingly, it benefited greatly from being upgraded. I have never replaced any of the major components but I got some noticeable improvements with just minor upgrades, mostly regarding the weight. New CF handlebars, seatpost and saddle and super-lightweight calipers brought the weight down quite a bit and the bike became more responsive and swift. The stock front-end is too mushy, even at its highest setting. What can I expect from a low-end shock from 1997, anyway? I am going to give it a complete overhaul soon and I think it'll be as good as new. Frame is still solid. I haven't abused it much so it's held up just great.

Cannondale full-suspension, Specialized RockHopper

[Apr 17, 2004]
Jason Van Elderen

Strength:

Genesis geometry
Wango Mango

Frame creaks a bit

I'm a big guy (260 lbs) and I was a bit skeptical about an aluminum frame. It was a good deal from a friend so I had to get it. This frame has held up incredibly. I just overhauled the whole thing, replaced all of my drivetrain and brake components and finally retired the Future Shock Pro that I've run with for 7 years and two bikes. Its a pretty light frame, but still beefy enough to handle some rough stuff. Although I will probably go with a steel frame next time, I don't regret buying the Mt. Tam.
If you can find a used one for a reasonable price, snag it.

[Jul 16, 1997]
Steve
weekend warrior

It really stinks that Fisher dropped the Mt.Tam for 97. The Paragon pales in comparrison. I had my 96 Mt.Tam stolen last week and cant replace it with another :-< It was great while it lasted!!!

[May 17, 1998]
Bug
cross-country rider

Heyyyy. Wow. I love this bike no...I loooove this bike it is so sweet to ride and I mean...just LQQK at it !!!~ I's a girl and I used to ride a Bridgestone CroMo that weighed a bit more. I sat on this brushed aluminum feather light dream machine and it was like riding on rails through the single track.I cant believe the handling. :)~ I find myself on higher gears now going up the same hills I used to have to granny gear on. I compared my Mt Tam to my hubby's Trek 8000 and I think they are both good bikes but I feel faster on my GF over all and more centered on the corners. My abillity to attack tougher courses has improved incredibly and I cant believe the higher speeds I am achieving on my Mt Tam.... I feels like I gots rockets on me now. ....Of course I would be happy riding a rusty 'Peewee Herman' cruiser as long as I am ON THE TRAIL! ~ (yeah rite)~ I just love to ride and the Mt Tam makes me love it even more. I urge you to test this bike out , you wont be dissappointed. I give this bike five Smoochie ' Make -Yer-Lips-Tingle' Chile Peppers.!!

[Oct 24, 1997]
cheasa
cross-country rider

This bike kicks ass

[Jan 23, 1997]
Dylan Crotty
weekend warrior

Mt. Tam is awesome. I love the control I seem to have over the bike. The bontrager rims work very well and I am yet to bend one after a year. (I weigh 230 lbs.) The Judi Shock is smooth as hell. I got the bike for $900 on a year end close-out. Can you believe that??