Gary Fisher Joshua X Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Gary Fisher Joshua X Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Gary Fisher Joshua X Bike

[Jul 19, 1999]
PALADIN

Strength:

I have only sampled the 98 xo and I thought that it was the best bike that i tried out. I am only regretfull that it was sold before i could purchase it. If somebody knows where i can get a great deal on a 98 or later fisher please help.

Great bike although i never had the chance to abuse it but if any riders in nevada can tell me where i could get a 98 or later model i would be greatly appreciative. At this moment my body is being rocked by my no suspension piece of garbage, but hey we work with what we can...... thanks all for your comments...

[Sep 28, 1998]
Steve
cross-country rider

Do not listen to the people who say this bike sucks. I tried a lot of bikes in the $1000 Or less range. Trek, 'Dale, Klein to name a few. The Joshua was the best riding bike I tried (No, I couldn't ride ALL of them).
Some posts say things like try it and see or try it, and if you don't like it, don't buy it! These are worthy of notice. The bike gives me so much confidence in the some crazy situations. I can also pass *ALOT* of hardtails. Again to paraphase some post-er: Your technique is more important than the bike. The Joshua X is one with you no matter what you do. It's a cross bike, get it? If you get a chance, ride this bike. It's a dream. 10 peppers!

[Oct 02, 1998]
Will
cross-country rider

BLah Blah Blah..Bike works quite well..however..anyone ever have a problem with the pivot point??? Where the rear triangle connects to the main frame?? that damn bolt is always comming loose after every ride..20miles.. I have used blue loctite..teflon tape..and over torquing...if I over torque I get a stiffer ride and more wear on the bushings..if I under torque the frame loses laterl stability and can cause frame damage in the long haul..anyone have this problem??.. Bike works well..shock on XO sucks.. I have already replaced one and 2nd is already leaking after 200 miles.. hard to evaluate the frame with bad shocks. Enough with all this whining. genetically challenged people always find problems with things.

[Oct 02, 1998]
The Black King
cross-country rider

Could someone please tell me what all of the commotion is about? I don't see a need to respond to someone who obviously has a biased opinion on the Joshua (i.e. dinsdale or dim bulb or dimwit, whatever!). However, in this instance, I feel that a rebuttal is necessary. I applaud the efforts of Wondertigger, Ric, PhatHead, Ben Henny, Steve and the rest of my fellow Joshu-ites in defending the Joshua. Dinsdale, we know what we like and we know what works for us. I'm sorry that you have such negative feelings about the Joshua. If you bothered to take the time to set up the Joshua's suspension, I'm sure your opinion would be different (How often have I stressed THAT in my previous reviews?). In addition, I think that you, Dinsdale, really need to work on your grammar and punctuation. You remind me of that other hammerhead from Australia who didn't know what he was talking about, either. Before telling everyone else to educate themselves, I strongly suggest that you educate yourself first. Five flamers for the Joshua. 'Nuff said.

[Sep 25, 1998]
Ben Henny
cross-country rider

Let’s talk about gravity. If you ride this bike, and you run into a dip, gravity brings your bike and body down. The suspension slows the acceleration of your body downward, and you get a buoyant ride. Similarly, if you jump on the pedals (as happens when some people pedal), the suspension slows the acceleration of your body into the pedal. It’s the same principle under different circumstances. Even hardtails bob when you stomp on the pedals. People who claim that their full suspension bike doesn’t bob when they pedal either are lying, or they have their suspension twisted so tight that it isn’t suspended. People who think the Joshua X1 suspension design is too soft (i.e., bobs when pedaling) don’t have the suspension set up properly, or they don’t know how to ride smoothly. To get the best acceleration climbing or otherwise, a smooth, even pedal is best. If you use your toe clips for more than keeping your feet on the pedals, you know that you can pull up at the same time you push down, which provides a strong, even pedal stroke, and even the softest suspension bike becomes stable.The X1 frame is the same frame used for higher-end Fishers and Treks. Since they are the same bike (they actually come from the same factory and use the same user manual—ask me how I know), you want to look for components and price. I found my X1 for $699 USD—a price that I could not pass up. I test rode several other bikes in the same price range ($1000), Cannondale Super V 400, Rocky Mountain (?), Giant 970, and they all were competent bikes. I found the X1 to have better components. And I couldn’t ignore the price—did I mention it was $699 USD? While it’s not a racing bike, since it weighs 28 lbs., it certainly could be with some upgrades. The rear triangle is chromoly which gives it some character. Upper-end Fishers are all aluminum. This is likely the main difference and is where the extra weight comes in. As for pedal bob, sure it has some—it has more when I adjust it softer, less when I tighten it down. I can virtually eliminate the bob through adjustment, if I were so inclined.I just got through looking at all the '99 bikes in all the mags. Most of them use the Unified Rear Triangle, except for the $4000 Fred bikes, which use some fourteen pivot, off-center, anti-gravity design created by midget engineers in Roswell, New Mexico. And honestly, I couldn't buy one of those GTs with the 4 pivot design, simply because it's UGLY! Anything designed well also should be aesthetically pleasing. In an attempt to preclude semi-literate half-wits from retaliating with the you git what you pay for argument, let me say that I could whop all yer asses on a five-dollar, forty-pound, single-speed, Huffy with a flat tire! After a certain dollar amount, say, most anything over $500, you're not gonna go wrong, provided you do your homework. For all you Freds, homework is that stuff that other people did to graduate from grammar school.In all, I got a full-pogo for (did I mention it was $699 USD?)--that's as good as a $1200 one.

[Sep 26, 1998]
phat head
weekend warrior

why do all the downhillers come to this page just to bag on a bike that isn't built for them anyway. hey guess what hardtails aren't very comfy for downhill either why don't you go to the hardtail pages and tell how bad they are for downhill. anyhow, let's just ride folks. not all people are alike and not all people ride alike. the urt definitely works for alot of people so why don't you all just go out and ride whatever you have. by the way, santa cruz is making a killing off their urt and so is klein. why? because they make sense for some people. the only people who are morons are the ones who are ignorant enough to make generalizations.

[Sep 26, 1998]
Leigh
cross-country rider

I suppose this is the last time I will find myself submitting a review for this page - and it's only to say that if you're going to trash a URT, use a fact-based opinion, don't jump on the wagon and just agree with everyone, have a mind and search somewhere in that feeble mind to find something else to say besides it sucks. Ever heard of education?

[Mar 23, 1998]
Shmo
weekend warrior

SON OF A ...! I made the mistake of riding my bro's new Level Betty FH1. Thou shalt not covet thy brothers bike, but shit! We were out for about two hours on some sick single track. Normally the pack stays pretty tight, but we were soon left in the dust by that BEEAAATCH Betty. I took a quick spin and thought my year-old Klein Pulse Comp 3 was broken! That's dick.So ride this bike at your own expense (literally) because once you get off it, you will know how the other side lives and you won't be happy.

[Mar 23, 1998]
Bob
cross-country rider

96 Joshua X this bike still kicks. I built mine like this: 96 rockshok DH w/speedsprings, XT shift and drive train, LX cranks, XT hubs, LX V's, Fox alps , continental x-country rear, panaracer comp dart front. Unstopable. The only complaint I have is hitting my knee on the stem .

[Mar 17, 1998]
Mark Dougherty

Gary Fischer Level Betty FH1
This bike rules. The FH stands for fun hog and there is no question that she is fun to ride. I can climb and decend routes that I would not of even thought of before. Now I look for the bigger drop or the more technical route and go through with ease. My friends have taken Betty for a ride and they look at their hardtails as a piece of junk by comparison. The ride is very plush, like riding a couch through the woods as one of friend said after taking her for a spin. I am very aggressive rider and am six four 225lbs and I only bottomed out once after going off a big drop. This bike is not cheap(2000) but the FH2 is a grat value at 1299.