Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Hoo Koo E Koo Bike

Hoo Koo E Koo

Darcy Bradmore   Cross Country Rider [Oct 27, 2015]
Strength:

Fun to ride, strong, looks great.

Forks.

I bought mine of a friend in Melbourne for $50. His father had bought it in Boston and had it shipped over, he rode it when he was a teenager and then it went into storage until 2015. Totally stock, original tyres etc. absolutely pristine condition. Bright red 1997 hkek. This bike is such a buzz to ride especially after mainly having Cannondale aluminium bikes. I purchased it to just bomb around to uni and up the street in Footscray, wanted something that I would'nt be too concerned with if it was pinched. Now I always carry my most heavy duty lock with me, I don't want this to go missing! Love anything steel by Trek.

Similar Products Used: 2009 Cannondale t2, 1988 Trek 570, various Cecil Walker's
Tim C   [Apr 06, 2013]
Strength:

Durable, frame and all components still in full working order after 26 years.

None.

Bought this baby in the summer of 1987 put on thousands of kms and still humming along. My 16 year old daughter now rides this classic in its original mint green glory.

J. Zachariassen   All Mountain Rider [Mar 19, 2012]
Strength:

So, Bought my Fisher Hoo Koo EKoo in the late 1980's (say 1988-89) - and I still have it and still riding it year round...
And will not be selling it any time soon -- have to admit though not many original parts ...although frame, cables, handle-bars and seat
stand are original. Have had to get a couple of new cog sets and chains -- but then I ride 1 to 2 thousand miles a year...
Yeah, this is a great bike, and has lasted for 20+ years ...paint is very well chipped but that keeps any thieves away ...
bike looks old but is not . I tell friends and pro's that I ride an antique - an original Fisher , well an early model anyway....

None -- but must admit that I've alway's ridden town on this bike, but still almost 25 years is pretty darned good ...
Note: paid $800.00 in 1988/89 -- what would that be in 2012 ??

Great bike !! and it has lasted --- if Fisher and/or Trek want to send me a new model - great !!
But will still ride my old 1988/89 Hoo Koo E Koo

Similar Products Used: None
PisgahWorks   Cross Country Rider [Oct 25, 2011]
Strength:

Have a 1987 like very new. A few nicks from moving and storing. Bike is all original and has hardly ever been ridden. Get in touch should you be interested. A collector should have it.

It's old school

You want this Hoo Koo? Email pisgahworks.

Similar Products Used: Marin somethingwoods. Just as old. Cro-Mo. Cool bike.
pyoung   Weekend Warrior [Jan 01, 2011]
Strength:

Strong frame, components also work as they should and have lasted well.

The 1997 Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo still had a chromoly steel frame, and the metallic red paint on mine still gleams. Love the handling of this bike both on trails and the urban jungle. At just under 27 pounds the way I've got it set up, it's nice and light. I much prefer the ride of my steel hardtail to an aluminum hardtail. And strong... I've taken a few downhill tumbles and the bike has survived with no issues. (My son's 1997 Fisher Big Sur aluminum hardtail broke the frame after just a couple of years).

I've been tempted to buy a new bike but when I clean, polish and tune this one I realize there's no reason to go new. Thanks Gary Fisher and TREK for making a great bike.

txfm740   Cross Country Rider [Jun 23, 2009]
Strength:

rims, frame geometry, rear derailleur, brake calipers, headset and "Quadra" 21R forks

frame dented after multiple wrecks; the bottom bracket finally needs attention, and the cassette needs to be replaced. The chain could use some R & R as well.

This bike is 12 years old, and it has had little to no maintenance, but it keeps on going. I seriously need to put it in the shop so that it can get the attention it deserves. Its unlikely that I would drop a grand on this year's model though.

Similar Products Used: Fisher Wahoo, Trek Antelope, Trek 800
xman   Weekend Warrior [Apr 08, 2009]
Strength:

Solid, quiet, built like a russian submarine and strong like bull.

Seating position

My 1st MTB bike, had it for over 12 yrs and it still cranks like a precision machine. I love the quality. Never got used to the seating position and was considering trading it in for something new. But after reading all these reviews I think Ima gonna keep her and just get a different riser. Thanks all!

Roger   Weekend Warrior [Feb 24, 2009]
Strength:

The entire Bike it is awesome

NONE

This bike is awesome no matter what I throw at it it handles with ease. It is a hard core rider and everyone should use this bike. Awesome!!! lOve it and hate all others

Similar Products Used: Cannondale, Trek
E$   Weekend Warrior [Aug 08, 2008]
Strength:

TOUGH BIKE ALTOGETHER, STRONG COMPONENTS FOR MY LEVEL OF RIDING, EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE RIDE

NONE

BOUGHT IT BRAND NEW IN 1997 AND IT IS WELL WORTH THE MONEY SPENT. BIKE IS 11 YEARS OLD AND STILL LOOKS NEW BECAUSE IT'S WELL MAINTAINED. HAS ALL ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT INCLUDING TIRES. I'M A BIT OLDER BUT STILL LONGING TO PUT IT ON THE TRAILS. THANKS GARY FISHER.

Similar Products Used: NONE
Christopher Zuck   Cross Country Rider [May 27, 2008]
Strength:

Strength, Durability, Geometry, Versatilty

None that I've found, but I did end up changing most of the components eventually. Come on, I bought the thing 11 years ago. I will admit the INDY XC rockshock it came with was horrible.

I'm really reviewing the frame, but the bike in its original set-up was great too. The bottom line is that this bike has hung with me through it all. I've bought new bikes and use them for various reasons, but in the end I love the feel and strength of this bike so much that I just can't stop riding it. The geomotry is perfect and the frame has just the right flex. With all the bikes I've had, its still probably my favorite.

Similar Products Used: Specialized stumpjumper M2comp, Home-built Nuke Proof Hard tail, Custom Kona Dawg Primo FR/XC set-up