Gary Fisher Gitche Gumee 1998 Bike 1998 or Older

Gitche Gumee 1998

Gary Fisher Gitche Gumee 1998

cloughy   Weekend Warrior [Sep 11, 2010]
Strength:

Solid frame

little heavy

I purchased this bike from a private seller has a frame, fork and crank i had the intention of building a winter bike with it. This bike would fit my studded winter tires so scratched that project. I decided to upgrade the fork and stem and set it up has a single speed and couldnt be happier. it has been a very solid bike for me i have riden multiple races and have not had 1 issue with it.

Similar Products Used: specialized other gary fishers kona
Anonymous Anonymous   Cross Country Rider [Sep 07, 2001]
Strength:

I found the product to have a nice solid ride.
It had easy switch gear trains, and durability.
Enjoyable powerful ride, just like a fine automobile.

The rear gear train seems messed up though I might be able to adjust it. It doesn't seem to hit 7th gear in 7th it just hits 6th. I'm gonna see if I could manually adjust the mechanism. No shocks on it, I see shock bikes around; they look cool.

It's a good bike, I paid $20 for it to help out an Italian immigrant make some phone calls I guess. Who's money and passport was stolen. He wanted more but I got a good deal.

It's very sturdy good for long rides, stable. If I had went to a store to buy a bike though. I would buy something more hytech looking. This bike looks too normal for me.

Similar Products Used: I rode ten speeds, GT Properformer, GT and mongoose racing bikes of all varietys. Various other mountain and racing bikes even redline and Giant.
Chris   Weekend Warrior [Aug 21, 2000]
Strength:

fairly light weight, durable, accurate rear derailer, the only lower end mountain bike that came in orange.

hand grips, the front derailer needs improvement.

For the price this is a good solid, durable bike. I ride about a 1000 miles a season both on and off road, and this bike is capable in both settings. Basically I have beaten on this bike for 2 years and it is still ready for more.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Hard Rock, Trek 860.
paul   Weekend Warrior [Jun 10, 2000]
Strength:

light weight, solid frame, good components, good price

needs improvement on rear derailer its cheap and doesnt work

great bike, low price, good quality, i have run it so hard that if it were a different bike it would be garbage, good components, light weight and strong, if you like a good rigid bike thats strong and will last you a long time, you would want this bike

Similar Products Used: none
Nicholas   Weekend Warrior [Aug 17, 1999]
Strength:

Fairly lightweight, lovely colour, good quality components, superb price. It is also made by the inventor of mountain bikes!

Quill stem, lack of chainguard.

This is a very good bike for the money, with components that are sometimes found on bikes twice the price of this. If you want a high performing bike and don't mind the rigid fork then this would be a very good buy.

Similar Products Used: Other bikes!
Nicholas   Weekend Warrior [Aug 17, 1999]
Strength:

Quill stem, lack of chainguard.

Similar Products Used: Other bikes!
Jessica   Weekend Warrior [Mar 23, 2005]
Strength:

Has very smooth shifting. Light, very soild bike. Paint has never chiped. Has good balance for going down hills. It rides perfectly, I have had it for 6 years. Gary Fisher makes a good bike. The tires keep their tread and brakes are good.

The saddle is a little rough at first after long rides. I wish it has front shocks...the front of the bike will jerk a little bit when riding over bumps and rocks. Could be a little lighter.

If you have one of these bikes, you should upgrade and get a new saddle and front suspension. Bottom Line...Gary Fisher makes a solid good bike for off-roading or road.