Gary Fisher Big Sur '98 Bike 1998 or Older

Big Sur '98

Gary Fisher Big Sur '98

Raub   Cross Country Rider [Jan 16, 2002]
Strength:

genesis, handles awsome over all terrain
component group is good for the price

seatpost will not stay in one position but otherwise none!

I love this bike. I have riden it over all kinds of terrain including some brutal downhill. The big sur is bomb proof, and handles great. Climbs even better. Never had a serious mechanical problem, this bike has made me a loyal fisher fan. If you like to ride hard and go fast this is a great bike to start with. HARDTAILS RULE!!!

Craig Ruhland   Cross Country Rider [Sep 07, 2001]
Strength:

great geomoetry, stiff ride, cuts easily through tight singletrack, good stock wheels, light, strong, well built frame for the money...

crank is weak, GF framed in my opinion seem to run a bit small-be cautious, paint on downtube and chainstays got chipped and trashed, indy C is scary (get a meaty marzzochi!)

When I bought this bike I went for the frame and that seemed to be a good choice, however leaving the bike behind the house (1409) at college during an evening of drinking proved to be a poor choice. I miss that frame. In the college financial vise I would have bought the bike over again. I really don't know about all the trek-klien-fisher-bontrager unity going on but I guess that is a different issue. Anyway-the "genesis geometry" has proven itself for many, many miles both in trail application and in racing so I believe with this kind of price tag, and this kind of quality frame, this bike can certainly be upgraded for years of riding. If you are on a budget and plan to upgrade components this could be your ride. get off the computer and go ride!

Similar Products Used: various FS and hardies-schwinn, trek, kona, klien
Alex   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 04, 2000]
Strength:

climbing descending genesis colour

cranks indy that came with it rims

awesome bike totally upgradable, a must if you don't have the coin, i give er' 5 flamers i'd give it 20 if i could

Similar Products Used: brc
Big Sur   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 01, 1999]
Strength:

Great Components, rite price, and Just as good as any other hard tail

Doesnt pedal it self

unless you plan on riding around the world the big sur is the bike for you. I have had mine for a year and I love it. I know guys with $6,000 joshua's and I still kick there asses on the trail. I spend less time in the repair stand and I ride twice as hard. I looked long and hard and road many test miles and this is the bike I picked.Enough said now go buy a big sur and get muddy!!!!

Similar Products Used: GF Zigerat, Tiki, and Balance FS 450
Mark   Weekend Warrior [May 26, 2001]
Strength:

frame, genesis geometry

components, i.e. shocks, seat-hard as a rock, crank, etc...
also have a lot of paint chipping.

The frame is awesome and very uprgradable. I've had this bike for three years, going on four and have now upgraded everything but the seat post and brakes, coming soon. The ride is excellent and for a 225lb plus rider it has held up incredibly well. I know have an $1800 bike and built it pretty much myself. As long as the frame continues to hold, I don't see getting rid of it soon. I do need a new paint job though.

Similar Products Used: Hoo Koo e Koo
DAN   Cross Country Rider [Apr 17, 2001]
Strength:

STRONG, FAST, RESPONSIVE, SIMPLE INDY FORK

HANDLE BARS, CRANK, LX STX COMPONENTS

WELL ENGINEERED FRAME, SIMPLE FORK(WON'T LEAK OIL), BUY FOR FRAME! SWEET COLOR, FAST AND DANGEROUS, FUN TO RIDE. BIKE GOOD FOR WEEKENDERS AND INTERMEDIATE RIDERS. FRAME GOOD FOR ELITE RIDERS! HAPPY TRAILS!

Similar Products Used: SCHWINN MOAB, SPECALIZED FSR EXTREAM
yoAA   Weekend Warrior [Apr 01, 2001]
Strength:

Good bike great for those weekend poeple that just like to go all out. Wicked in turns and and some good components. The yellow paint just makes people scared!

that thing that they call a shock crap. the crank is a little week

great bike i am going to get a 2001 in about 2 months.

jeff diem   Cross Country Rider [Feb 23, 2001]
Strength:

great climber, wicked in turns, descneds ok

indy xc fork, cranks, and hubs

great bike for the dough... i wish the cranks and fork didnt suck, but i work at a biek shop and the frame is used on the supercaliber, so jsut 600 bux for that was worth it to me!! maybe puttin on a psylo fork turn it into a urban assult vehicle, geometry be damned!

Similar Products Used: umm none.. my first reall mtn bike
Nigel Bagge   Cross Country Rider [Aug 17, 2000]
Strength:

Genesis frame helps on the climbs and suits tall riders. Very stable downhill.

Poor Indy forks, rest okay for the money. Genesis does mean front wheel tends to lift on steep climbs.

Excellent value and with a suspension seatpost it gives high value/light full sus bikes a run for their money, with little maintenance needed.

Anthony Senger   Cross Country Rider [Jul 25, 2000]
Strength:

Genesis Geometry w/ super stiff frame construction kicks serious butt! Wicked yellow paint (can spot another Big Sur a mile away!) Simple yet super effective Avid brakes!

Awesome Bang for the Buck...

Flat bars will kill the top tube paint on big dumps!
Shifting has always been a problem, I believe it to be the cheaper Sugino Crank/Rings with less than stellar STX cassette and front deraileur.

Awesome Hungry bike that is only so slightly let down by some cost sutting stock components. After adding the suspension post I never had problems hanging with my buddy riding a FS K2 Razorback ($3000+)!!! I've had problems with the shifting and chain suck (actually just killed my granny gear on the Sugino cranks...). Tried upgrading the front Derailleur. This did not help, much. I'm looking forward to putting on lighter, stronger cranks, because I just love riding this bike!

Real bottom line is that the bike is so much more than what you get off the show room floor, but the grin factor is so there, and upgrading it has been fun too! So for $800 plus my upgrades, I'm ripping it like a mad man! 4 flamers for value because the bean counters got at some improtant components, but 5 for overall!!!