Fuji SX Bike 1998 or Older

Fuji SX

[Jan 22, 1999]
Joel
cross-country rider

Picked up a '96 Mt. Fuji SX LTD recently for an incredible price. I work at a bike shop and It's one of the best functioning bikes I've seen. It has XT/Gripshift ESP derailieurs, Ritchey clipless pedals, headset, and saddle. It also came with WTB canti's that I swapped for Avid's 1D-20. It comes with a Manitou Mach 5 which isn't bad. The 17 inch frame weighs about 22 lbs. It rides great too. Talk to your Fuji dealer about one because they might still be able to order you one.

[Oct 13, 1998]
April
weekend warrior

I'm afraid I have to put a little damper to some of the flaming reviews here. I got a SX late last year and found it to be a mixed blessing. The bike's light weight, good component for the price (especially when it's on sale). It's also very stiff, which could be a good x-country bike for anyone over 120 lb. (I'm guessing here, since I'm only 110 lb.) I personally found the bike way too rigid even though it has front shocks. And on rocky downhills it's downright unstable compare to many of the bikes I've riden. I broke 2 spokes riding downhill last week, which is a first for me. I hope the trend doesn't continue. I'll give it 3 flames since it's so light that I can pedal up just about any nasty hill, even though I might have to get a get a chopper to deliver a full suspension bike to coming back down!

[Aug 26, 1998]
Byron
cross-country rider

I picked up this bike this year at a very good price and I love it to pieces! This is the best bike I have ever owned. The frame is incredible, it looks like a million bucks and the geometry is perfect for singletrack or whatever you want. I slapped a marzocchi atom bomb on and it is even better. The frame is light and stiff and I swear that whenever I point the bike uphill, the bike does half the work. Also I upgraded to XT/217 wheels which make this bike fly since it is so light.
It's too bad they stopped producing this bike, although now that I've seen what a great bike this Fuji is, I'm really interested in picking up their cyclocross frame.
Five chilies to the best bike ever!

[Jun 02, 1998]
David
racer

Awesome - Awesome - Awesome! I have had mine for almost a year and wouldn't trade it for anything. I was looking at the Stump Jumper M2, GT's Avalanche and the Klein Pulse before I picked up the 97 Mt. Fuji SX from Colorado Cyclist for $799. The bike was specked at 25.5 Lbs. and my 17 came in just under 25 Lbs. I have had no problems with the Judy C fork and it is smooth like butter. The LX group is economical and reliable but I have chosen to upgrade many of the components, including the handle bar, headset, brakes, cranks & B.B., cables and the wheel set & tires. I have about 2,000 mile on the bike now and the only component that died prematurely was the headset and I suspect that was from smacking a large tree. I have the weight down to a hair over 24 Lbs. The highlight of this bike by far is the frame. It is super stiff and very light. The geometry is perfect. The welds are flawless and the red metallic paint job is the best I have seen on a bike. You would be hard pressed to beat this for only $800. It's also nice to have a bike that you don't see very often on the trails.

[Jun 27, 1997]
Terry
weekend warrior

I have been looking for a good, inexpensive bike to purchase. After weeks of research on the web, newsgroups, friends, and shops . . . I came down to the Fuji SX. Comparable bikes also looked at are Vertex, Diamondback Zetec 2.1, Rocky Mountain Hammer, and Giant 850. All looked good but Colorado Cyclist had the Fuji on sale for $899 w/LX parts, Ritchie logic clipless, and Judy C fork. Anyway, I decided to go with that. I didn't see any reviews . . . no Fuji SX riders out there?