Ellsworth Truth Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Ellsworth Truth

[Apr 04, 1999]
Bruce Jacobs
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Absolutely the safest Sfooted bike you can ride. Climbs like a goat. Easy to maintain.

My wife and I bought the frames from Dreanride in Moab. We both had been riding top of the line HTs. They stay on the bike rack. The bike is like driving a great Swiss watch. It does everything that was promised and more. My wife feels absolutely safe on the bike. We ride some nasty stuff. You get in a downhill position and trust the bike. It gets you there. In Moab we climbed sand hills. We are finesse riders - old and slow, but we can ride anything on the Ells and enjoy every minute of it. Both bikes are under 25 lbs even running 2.25 tires

Other full suspension, all were good, this was better.

[Sep 25, 1998]
jim hardy
racer

ellsworth bicycles you can't really figure out whats better the bike or the people behind the bike, Tony & Teres Ellsworth. Great Performance and Great service
Going up and going down Ellsworths are the Best!!!!!! This bike is super light
weight.
very very very very killer!!!!!!

[Oct 20, 1997]
Ryun Noble
cross-country rider

I just returned from hammering this bike down in Moab, Utah at the Fat Tire Festival. I ride very hard and am very tough on equipment. I was hesitant at first on the Truth because of the lack of weight. As miles progressed on the Porcupine Rim trail the agile tail section proved to be an apt climber, passing by many whom were walking thier steeds. After cresting the incredible overlook, this lightweight work of art became a rocket locked to my feet! It was easier to look further down the trail because the bike was so predictably smooth even through the hellacious terrain under the tires. You hardly had to even think and the bike would be right there. We passed a group of Cannondale freerides on the trail. Back at the Festival one of them confronted me and said, 'That was the smoothest I have ever seen anyone piece together a section that gnarly!' This bike is one well-built machine. I rank it among the best bikes no matter the dollar amount! This bike just plain works!!! I wouldn't hesitate one bit to race this on any course over my hard tail!

[Dec 06, 1999]
JohnM

Strength:

This bike handles best (once it is broken in)on hilly trails. Ascends very well and the rear actually stays ON the trail while turning on descents!

Move the cable braze ons for better cable angle.
Rear Mud Collection Problem...Way too much collects behind the seat tube on the Chain Stays...drill out where the U is.
If you prefer long, flat,fire road death marches, then buy a hard tail ;-)

I dont want the cushiest ride on the block. I wanted the best performance FS and I found it. This bike took exactly the factory suggested 8 hrs to break in. The first 4 rides were pretty stiff. But now all good. I have yet to experience any of the bushing squeek that the others gag about.
Thank You Airbomb.com !

Turner Stinger, Aeon Isis. Thought about a Lefty Raven, briefly. Truth is the best in comparison.
Stinger is a very slight shade smoother, but it bounces you off the rear on steep descents...too light back there.
Aeon does not have the handling that either bike has.

[Oct 31, 1999]
Derek Dailey
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Flawless construction, clinbs like a mountain goat on steroids, bombs downhill faster than a cruise missle, Undestructable paint (shot-peened and anodized), and no one else you know has one!

Whatever!
OK, maybe price.

This bike is the best mountain bike ever created. It climbs better than any other bike I have ever ridden. It corners like it is on rails. And it desends like no other XC FS bike on the market. This bike WILL make you ride faster, further, and you will have more fun than ever. Believe the hype. The bike is very forgiving, it has saved my butt many times. If you want the best on the market, then this is the bike for you. I give this bike 5+ chillies.

GT xcr1000,Jamis Dakar Team,Santa Cruz Heckler

[Jul 14, 1999]
Max
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

In a nutshell, it's light,easy to maintain,laterally and torsionally rigid,compliant without noticable biopacing, and high quality workmanship throughout. I bought my bike at JB mountainbikes (www.JBmountainbikes.com). After test riding his demo I immediately knew my search was over. JB allowed me to borrow various shock/fork and stem/bar combinations until I found what worked for me the best. Like most bikes, set-up is critical to get the most out of the design. With some shock/fork combinations I wasn't satisfied at all. Ask your dealer to supply the various shocks available so you can make a broad based decision. Previous full suspension bikes include a ProFlex 756,Kestral Rubicon, and Giant ATX 990. The ProFlex was a great climber, the ATX was very solid and firm, the Rubicon was very plush, and the Ellsworth is all of the above and light as well. The Truth is manueverable, climbs like a goat, and inspires confidence in rocky, rooty and gnarly single track. I have torture tested my bike for the past 6 months and the only problem I had was a squeak in the main pivot following a 2 hour ride in a torential thunderstorm. This was fixed with a little grease and 30 minutes of time.

My only complaint involves the cable routing for rear V-brakes. The frame mount for the rear brake housing is located on the right side thus requiring the use of a 120-150 degree bend leading into the rear V-brake. This requires you to set up the spring tension on the rear brake pivots asymmetrically for optimum trouble free operation since the cable housing itself tends to apply some lateral force to the brake pivot affecting the ability to return to center when releasing the brakes. Once this is set up properly there is no problem whatsoever.

This bike is a solid 5 stars. Its light, quick, manueverable, excellent climber, plush and yet solid. The best overall performer I've ridden.

Pro-Flex 756, Giant ATX 990, Kestral Rubicon.

[Jun 19, 1999]
Matt

Strength:

Well, its smooth

As an engineer, the frame tends to have a weakness near the main elbow joint when i computer modeled it and simulated it.

Its so-so, too expensive for what you get, not good for hard-core shredding

Trek Y-550

[May 26, 1999]
Phat-Daddy
Cross-Country Rider

I currently own a TREK Y....Y the F**K did I buy that piece 'o crap? Anyway, I have researched and road the hell out of every dually out there. The Ellsworth Truth is the best, no really, it's the BEST. I'm currently having one built and I'll be back to rave some more about it when I have a chance to bond with my new steed. I give 5 chilis 'cause this bike gives me a stiffie.

[Aug 30, 1998]
matt post
cross-country rider

i like your bikes, i think they are the best out there. they look like they work really well, i like the frame style. if i had the money, i would buy one, but i'm a little short on cash flow. tony see you at church on sunday. matt post
ramona 1st ward

[Sep 09, 1998]
Steve

This is the best xc fsb around period! This is my 4th bike in 6 years and probably my last xc bike. It climbs, it decends, it halls ass in the big ring.Its light as hell.Its cheap to buy considering what you get. Its forgiving as hell also. Ellsworth, as a company, rocks, you call them, they send you what you need pronto.When I broke my Kona it took months to get them to do a crash repacement. You can take the TRUTH apart with practaclly one allen wrench!