Diamondback V-8 Bike 1998 or Older

Dimondback V-8

Bob Furneaux   Cross-Country Rider [Sep 01, 1999]
Strength:

comfortable, nice specs

flexy frame

a great bike for cross country riding. light for a full suspension and just enough to smooth out the ride. I wouldn't want to use it for downhill, but it's not meant to be used that way anyhow. overall, very pleased.

Similar Products Used: Diamondback vertex
Trek 930,970
kertte   cross-country rider [Feb 17, 1999]

Great bike.
Super light at 25 lbs.
Great price.
Cool parts.
Nice ride.
xt cranks, sid rock shox super cool and light
Seat sucks WTb sucks1
this sucks that the stupid thing will not send out

Chris   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 29, 1999]
Strength:

Light weight (25lbs.)
Quick/tight handling
Stiff frame
Great climber
Lockout on rear shock
Great fit
Good looks

Chain suck.
Flexy SID fork.
Must deflate rear tire to remove from frame.

I've been riding my DBR V8 for about a year and a half, and have logged a couple thousand miles on it now. I love the bike! I can honestly say that it is the all-around best-riding bike that I have ever ridden. It is light enough to race, but still makes a great trail bike as well. I spend most of my time riding the steep and technical singletrack of the Wasatch mountains, and also get down to Moab as often as possible. I've put this bike through the ringer. Its light weight (25lbs. for my large size frame) and fully-active rear end make it a great climber, and its quick handling is a blast on tight, twisty singletrack. Although it's not a hardcore downhiller, it smooths out the bumps of typical cross country adventure rides very nicely. The bike inspires cornering confidence, and handles tight switchbacks with amazing quickness. The weaknesses listed above are very minor. The only real downside to this bike is that Diamondback no longer makes it. It was replaced this year with the heavier XR8.

Similar Products Used: Ventana Marble Peak F.S.
DBR V-Link 3.1
Specialized FSR-XC M4
Rocky Mountain Instinct
K2/Proflex 4500
Trek Y-11
Josh   [May 24, 2002]
Strength:

fit
stiffness
tracking
suspensions design
is it me or did everyone else copy this after it came out?

DBR aint so easy to deal with.
They discontinued it. bad move on their part.
They should have just refined it.
The XR-8 was far from that.

If I could find a relatively unused V8, I'd buy another one.