Diamondback Response Bike 1998 or Older

Response

Diamondback Response SE

ken mccrohan   Cross Country Rider [May 18, 2011]
Strength:

I actually bought 2 diamondbacks. One for 250, and one for 320. They worked great for about 3 weeks.

Rear rim strength is inadequate. The spokes keep breaking.
Derailleur are of low quality. Had one just fall off. Front sprocket improper spacing. Chain pinches in between.

These are the worst bikes we have ever bought. They were definitely NOT worth what we paid. We will NOT recommend to anyone to buy Diamondback bicycles. They are very poorly built! We would have done better to buy a $100 bike at a department store.

Similar Products Used: Mongoose brand
DFDMedic726   Weekend Warrior [Apr 13, 2011]
Strength:

great frame, doesn't feel cramped at all.

none i can detect

this is my first real mtn bike and i love it. i can't say anything bad as it has yet to dissapoint me. the chain was slipping as i put power into the pedals, however, a tuneup and adjustment fixed that. bottom line, i love it and it gets me out onto the trails that kicked my old "mtn bikes" ass

Similar Products Used: iron man bull crap, murry something or other
James   Weekend Warrior [Jul 01, 2010]
Strength:

Size 18 fit and feel with the riser bar. Geometry is responsive yet not cramped. Attractive design and color combo. (White with Black and Red stickering). Aluminum frame is bombproof and stylish. Cable activated disks are responsive yet low maintenance. Drivetrain is smooth and durable. X4 Shifters are comfortable and responsive. Plastic pedals were questionable at first but feel just like my FIT pedals I have on my 20 inch. I prefer platforms.

Spinner fork is horrible.... Spinner customer service is excellent though. I called to ask what I could do to stiffen up the feel and the guy sent me a Heavy spring free of charge. Since then the compression adjuster has blown up and I'm riding around with it popping and snapping with very little compression resisitance and a jerky dampening action... until I get it replaced at least. Stock grips suck... Brake levers are cheap. Had to go over bike assembly little by little. Thought the crank arm was stripped but just simply not torked properly. Rear hub is a little sloppy, minor play in the cassette.

I love my bike... I bought it looking at the welds, bottom bracket, rims and controls. I could tell the price range was because Diamondback saved money throwing that crappy fork on. I figured I'd pay a "Black Friday" price for as much bike as I could and upgrade components as they broke... With exception of the Fork..... I've beat the hell out of it and it still performs. I weight 280 and always bomb a thirty stair at the school by the house... It does everything I would expect a hard tail to be able to do. Especially for a guy my size.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Rock Hopper and Ground Control, GT Timberline.
responsefox09   Weekend Warrior [Sep 29, 2009]
Strength:

The frame! Wheels will take a beating. I am 250lbs and after 3 months of trail riding the wheels are still true.

Brakes, and the most horrible thing about this bike is the Edge Spinner fork. If you buy this bike plan on buying a new fork!

This is a great bike. I have put a lot of upgrades on it of course but it's still a good starting point. This is the perfect bike for someone starting out. I believe it's the best bang for your buck when looking for an entry level bike. Rides like a dream with the fox 36r on the front of it!

Similar Products Used: Iron Horse, Giant Boulder SE, Jamis XAM-1
CBDaugherty   Weekend Warrior [Jun 15, 2009]
Strength:

Super stiff frame, great brakes, very smooth shifting, 0 chain/derailer noise.

None yet only have about 20 miles on the bike.

Love the Bike, strong and silent. Great bike at a great price especially for weekend or beginner usage.
I bought the 2009 Response on clearance @ Dicks in Fayetteville GA, great Service Dept.

Similar Products Used: Frontier GS
vcortes   Weekend Warrior [Jun 13, 2009]
Strength:

frame,brakes,crankset,rear derailleurs and shifters

fork,pedals,tires

It's a good entry level bike for the price compare with other bikes @ same price. Stock bike is good but needs upgrade for xc purpose.

tony_tiger_35   Cross Country Rider [May 13, 2009]
Strength:

Great bike for the money, strong and stiff frame (XL) for taller riders (I'm 6'4") and has the addition of disc brakes.

Tires that came on it (Kenda Klaw) were horrible, washed out way too easily on almost every surface and had MANY flats. Replaced with some Velociraptors that work great. Pedals suck, replace with clipless right away.

This bike is great for accepting punishment and not complaining. I ride at least 30-45 miles/week on monstly firerode and single track and this bike has held in there with minimal upgrades. I suggest this bike for anyone looking to get into the sport but not yet sure if they will still be into it 1 year from now and want to test the waters before a large investment. I am now waiting on my new Sultan 29er, but will def. keep this bike in the roster for future rides.

conceptnext   Weekend Warrior [May 12, 2009]
Strength:

Great solid frame, great control on downhills. I have beeen using it on most intermediate trails in Vermont and Upstate Newyork and havn't had any problems after the first tune up.

Stock pedals could be better, replaced them with clipless

Great bike on the market in for the price, not for those that want to launch off platforms, but for cross-country expeditions couldnt ask for much better than this. I ride almost every weekend and even when this bike was stock (other than pedals)never broke anything on it.

Similar Products Used: Ironhourse Warrier
Savino   Cross Country Rider [Apr 20, 2009]
Strength:

Its a great bike. Has realy good suspention and has very strong disk brakes. The Tires are made strong and wide for off road and never had a flat yet.

There is no Weaknesses

Its one of the best bikes i have been on and it is 100% worth the money. I had for a year and i use it every day and i still had no problems.

Similar Products Used: I use to have a mongus wich was also a good bike but it doesnt compare to this model.
illwill88   Downhiller [Feb 15, 2009]
Strength:

Great bike for beginners on trails. mine is a 2007 model not older than 1998.

NOT for Jumping!!! the only reason i use mine for downhill is cause i am 16 and have hardly any money. front fork sucks i put a bomber44 140mm on front so its a little better. but saving up for Jamis parker 1

Beginner trail riders buy this bike. everyone else look away.