Cannondale F900 Bike 1998 or Older

F900

Cannondale F900

gsxr1   Cross Country Rider [Sep 07, 2010]
Strength:

The weight. Its impressive even by todays standard.
stiffness

standard bits.

I got rid of all the standard bits.
Put a lefty on and binned the old 80mm fatty.
It climbs like a mountain goat. I love it. it looks different and is a quality bit of gear. turns very fast in the woods.
Next upgrade will be a XT shadow derailer.

Its a bike you will own a very long time

Similar Products Used: Giant terrago
baggsby   Cross Country Rider [Jun 15, 2009]
Strength:

HeadShok, lightweight, good component group

Absolutely bulletproof XC bike. Ridden hard for over a decade (North Florida=banging over roots, sugar sand but few drops or jumps).

Light, fast, climbs well. Now I've upgraded to a Scalpel

Similar Products Used: Cannondale M800
Arnar Johannsson   Cross Country Rider [Jun 09, 2006]

good

KC   cross-country rider [Sep 27, 1998]

I've had the F900 for about a month and I have to say this is the best biku=ing invesment I could have made. This bile is a rocket and goes wherever you point it. The Fatty-D is the best fork that I have ever used, solid as a rock although a little soft for my weight -- a little tuning will solve that.GREAT BIKE

dennis dennett   weekend warrior [Mar 26, 1998]

My 1997 Cannondale KillerV900 is on lay-a-way at my local bike shop and as soon as I get I will try to break it for you all. With a price tag of $879 how could I go wrong. The bike has everything a weekend warrior needs as well as being light as shit. Everytime I make a payment I take it for a spin and just dream of the day when I can ride it. I'm hoping I can pick it up on 4-20-98. Yes, this is a national holiday for all of the buddha lovers and it,s also my birthday. Hopefully I won't fall off from being too fased. 350lbs-wow, do your flabby butt cheeks rub on the rear V-bra

Michael McNeely   weekend warrior [Mar 26, 1998]

I bought a black/yellow 97 Large F900 last November for $850 clearance. I had looked at Trek 8000 series, Schwinn Moabs, and Raleighs. After a little research and a few test rides I knew which bike I wanted. The following features either sold me or I've grown to love: 1. The headshok is more than just C-dales attempt to be different - it really works and is super rigid around rooty curves and plenty plush. I've only bottomed it out once when I jumped off a ~5ft drop and hit a boulder with the front tire as I landed (I weigh 165lbs - 6 tall). I've taken it numerous times to Austin hill country (very rocky) and am gaining confidence each time in the headshok's ability to soak up the rocks, roots, rutty downhills, etc.
2. Frame design/geometry - when I test rode it I just felt comfortable. I used to race BMX and wasn't sure how easy it would be to maneuver a larger bike with my CG so much higher, but I feel like the bike was made for my frame and my aggressive riding. It's also one impressive piece of craftsmanship. I know as I upgrade the components I'll never feel like I've got a bum frame (unless it cracks - then I'll be pissed, but appearantly they've greatly improved their weld annealing process).
3. Clearance price. Couldn't get a frame or shock I liked more for less money.
4. It's a complete blast to ride. I cannot get off work enough to hit the hill country outside Austin or Ho Chi Min (sp?) here in Houston. Each time I go I realize this bike rocks. I can't wait to take it on MTB vacations all over the US.
5. The grip shifts/Deor LX are almost instantaneous and a cinch to use.
6. The LX V-brakes are unreal. The levers seem like they were custom made for my pointing finger. Steering, shifting, braking, etc are all like second nature with this setup. (I don't like the 98's brake levers however).Couple of things that bug me:1. The paint has already scratched off in a couple of areas
Seems like if you barely ding the frame the paint jumps right off
2. The front rim edge bent pretty badly on me when I jumped off that drop off.
(I've since then found out the Sun CR-18s are fairly prone to bending)
3. The sales person was pretty arrogant and a lier
4. The chain jumps to the granny gear fairly often when I'm bouncing around off roots or rocks (maybe I need to adjust something?)
5. Old school brake mount welded to frame (like I'd ever switch from V-brakes).
6. The cranks are starting to make a slight grinding sound. I have ridden through some creeks and mud, so maybe I need to maintenance them a little.I'm thinking about upgrading the DD60 to a Fatty SL. As I get more experience and time on this bike I'll post again to let you know if the love affair is lasting.Despite the stuff that bugs me - I gotta go with 5 chili peppers for now.

Ed   weekend warrior [Mar 31, 1998]

There's no F-1000 page, so i'm posting here. I've got mixed feelings about this bike, but i bought it new for $950 + shipping, so i'm overall happy.
Bad points: 1. The paint job scratches and chips easily. 2. The headshock takes hard hits great, but feels like a pogo-stick normal riding. 3. the coda stem that came with the bike is like 40 degrees, down too low, reverse too high.
Good points: climbs like a monkey in heat. 2. mavic 221's with IRC mythos are awesome. 3. The headshock/fork really does steer better.
I took this bike all out in the Napa mountains, and it held up better than i did What more can you ask of a bike at this price?

Janice Pottle   cross-country rider [Mar 17, 1998]

I used this page a lot when searching for a new bike about 7 months ago. I finally decided on a '97 Cannondale Killer V 900 (same as the small F900)because it is light, responsive, and I liked the idea of the Headshok and the Coda components - Cannondale seemed different, doing their own thing. And the Headshok seems like a good idea to me in terms of how it works and stuff. Anyway, after buying it and riding it for 7 months I am not disappointed! I have had absolutely ZERO problems... but I have had a lot of fun! I love the shock, it's really neat to be able to turn it off too. The bike really excels at climbing, especially with that shock locked off. Anyway, I don't have that much experience and I haven't tried that many different kinds of bikes, but this one works for me! However, I am pretty light, so maybe it isn't the right bike for everyone, I don't know. Perhaps I'll write another review when I've had it a little longer.

Al Frame   cross-country rider [Mar 13, 1998]

Cannondales are okay, but nowhere near the refinement of Kleins or other high-end aluminum bikes. The handling is sluggish and the workmanship is mediocre. Plus, that headshok is waay behind the times, as far as technology goes... Okay, Missy and Tink ride em.. The company seems to be headed toward the freeride side of things, which is okay.. Leave hardtails to those who do it best... Two flamin chilis at best.

ron   cross-country rider [Mar 11, 1998]

I bought a 97 f900 for 825, not 1200 like some whiners on this page. Anyway the bike is beautiful, handles extremely well, and is a great ride. Of cpourse, I do not weigh 350 lbs., but it has been very reliable in the 3 months I have ridden it. Much better than my old bike, and a good deal to boot. Shop around.