Cannondale F1000 SL Bike 1998 or Older

Cannondale F1000 SL Bike 1998 or Older

Cannondale F1000 SL

[Feb 09, 2000]
Jeff K

Strength:

Excellent Bicycle. I had ridden many different Klien's in the late 80's early 90's and vowed that I would never ride aluminum again after breaking my back.
The F1000SL was purchased after I tried a friends F1000 (1998) due to me loaning my bike to a friend.
The F-1000SL is an amazing bike (and I was not a believer before)

The high points
#1 The suspension....having ridden on everything that is out there except for Sun suspension forks I feel very comfortable stating that this is the best tracking fork EVER. There are some issues with the UL's damping (or lack there of but more on that later). The component spec is a little strange but they have created an affordable bike that has outrageous performance. The parts that matter are of high quality. OVERALL a great spec'd bike, for the money!!

Two front chain rings, many people might not be strong enough to push these, but my first love is single speeds so even having gears is great!!
The fork is an amazing tracking fork, however they are not using the adjusteable dampening cartridge from the high end fork and the max oil weight I believe is 7.5. This is just not quite enough dampening for my liking. I replaced the oil with heavier (7.5) and it got better but still under dampened.
The component selection.....this could be a negative in that the components are a hodge podge, but the bike is only $1500 so you can't expect full XTR anyways. The only realy possible negative is the shifters. Theyput LX shifters on and they are not as crisp as my XTR's or XT, but so far they have worked okay.

Overall a great bike. Sure their are LX level components on it but it only cost $1500. A Great Frame and Fork that would be worthy of a full XTR upgrade!! (If you wanted to)

A note, this is probably one of the least expensive bikes I have yet it is my favorite!!

Jeff

Titus HCR, full XTR------
Ventana Marble Peak, XT/XTR------
Rat Ride, 1x1 (single speed)
Klein Rascals(plural)
Bridgestone RB-1
Many more.......

[Jul 12, 1999]
Gertjan
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

CAAD4 frame
Headshok
Low weight

LX Components
Mavic 220 Rims

My only complaint to Cannondale is the weird mix of components on this bike.
For instance: replace the XTR rear-derailleur with an XT and the pro-max PX-2 brakes with slightly more expensive LX-V brakes.
Since i upgraded a lot of components, i am not going to take in this in account for my rating.
5 stars for the bike (less for cannondales policy on component selection)

1996 M500 (CAD3)
with Marzochi Z2

[Jul 17, 2004]
Adam V

Strength:

This bike roks it is light weight and rides smooth. I am a cross country rider and smoke people now the hill's so I got to love this bike.

The third front cog is way to big and I can only use it on the roads. If your going to race a lot and ride over damp roots, I would change the tires. To the light riders like me I would suggest chagning the oil in the shock the rebound is to slow.

I would reccomend this bike to anny rider thst want's to get searious. I have had minimal problems with it and surived a lot of crashes with it. I am giving it 5 chillies because this bike is well rounded.

None a good as this

[Nov 08, 2007]
BEN LEE

Strength:

an amazing bike!!!!! i've given this bike hell and i haven't had much trouble whatsoever...the frame is very light and extremely durable!! it flies on downhills!!!!! i mean flies too...this was custom built by my father for my 23rd birthday....great job dad!!!

none i absolutely love it!!

best bike i will ever have hands down!!! i would recommend this setup to anyone!!