Bontrager Race Lite Bike 1998 or Older

Bontrager Race Lite Bike 1998 or Older

Race Lite

[Jun 07, 2013]
chikachik

Strength:

triple butted steel frame set from santa cruz legend Keith Bontrager
the extra butting and thinner tubes of the race lite raise this frame to an exemplary standard
the subtle flex makes the frame set really sing when ridden hard.
the quality and attention to detail are the high watermark of hand made californian MTB bike building
now very rare and a cult classic especially if still combined with the original rigid forks
exceptional rarity ensures ultimate trail cred.

The 1 inch head set is now seen as antique, but forks can still be had from marzochi
the thin pipes are easily dented - but what can you expect.
Trek diluted the brand by gate crashing the party. Bet KB got a nice life style out of it though
as his name is now on everything from loo roll to dog biscuits!

The bench mark of hand built american steel frame sets, form a now lost epoch of small custom makers.
Geometry seen as close to perfect favouring climbing over descending
the extra butting and lightening makes for a really responsive ride way superior to the race
if you are lucky enough to own one you will not part with it
if you want one they are now as rare as hens teeth
which is a good thing if you do have one

[Mar 01, 2010]
spacegrape

Strength:

Climbing on loose surface
Point and Shoot downhill handling

The 1" headset is like owning an 8 track player.

As much as I love mine - you may not like running the Rock Shox Quadra that I'm (sortof) cornered into using. I rode rigid bikes for 3 years before getting a suspension fork so the paltry (46mm) travel still feels good to me after 15 years. Off ebay, usually around $60 and yellow, they require black paint. I haven't had much luck with the air/oil rock shox from the period. Marzocchi still makes longer travel (100mm) 1" models but at a price ($300-$400)

Bottom bottom line is you'll buy one of these if you respect mountain bike hall-of-famer Keith Bontrager, and you want a ride with history in it. That said - don't bother with the post-trek Bontragers, the quality is good but they are less cool. You can tell by the seat stays (real ones are two piece (like a telescope))

Very bottom line is I can't imagine riding anything else - and I just bring up the negatives to keep 'em reasonable going forward ;)

[Feb 17, 2010]
bonty06

Strength:

Strong, light and fast. I've had the bike for almost 13 years and it's been through it all. Many thousands of miles and she is still looking for more. My frame is a 1998 model and I see it lasting for ever. STEEL!

1 inch headset & trek buying Bontrager.

Great overall bike, handles single track like a knife. Just upgraded (if that what you call it) to a Titus FS disc brake bike, but I know when I am leaving the garage I'll be thinking of my Race light. One other thing, I converted the Race Light into a 9-speed. Buy one if you can find one, definitely a classic!

Good job Keith.

Many

[Sep 17, 2001]
Berkeley Mike

Strength:

A fine balance of flex and strength. A rabbit out of turns and an crisp climber.

Limited fork selection

This bike has more ability to handle riding than I have ability to ride. No matter how much I learn, the bike is able to take me there. I've gone through a full set of components, put on new ones, and she's ready to go.
I can't imagine a better investment in a ride than this one; crisp, quick, clean, supple, and elegant. Sure, there may be a light XC dually for me in the next few years but nothing will give me the go I have when I step down on this pedal. This bike is a real keeper.

nothing even close

[Jul 20, 1999]
Momar Khadafi
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Light
Light
Stronger than it looks

$$$$

Could not believe the weight. The rear wheel weighed less than most fron ones I've seen. Lateral stiffness is unbelieveable for the spoke count. Believe me, if there's flex, I'll notice on that Klein. The Ceramic does squeal like a ... well, anyways, toe the front pads OUT, squeal is gone. Rattled a stick in the rear wheel the other day, though the wheel was doomed, but no damage. Credit elastic spokes and maybe a bit of luck. This wheelset is a good example of what you get when you take the best you can find in the industry (King hubs, DT revolutions, Bonti Cermet Valiants) and put them together with careful design.

517, Sun, 217, Bont Mustang, Valiant, XT, XTR, Ringle

[Apr 09, 1999]
Matt
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

super duper light!!!
never seen or tried lighter mtb. wheels!

none!!

these wheels rule!
it is true about it not fitting in the sx carbon
but all u have to do is switch the spokes around and then it will not hit the beefy fork legs.
otherwise these wheels are worth it!!!

mavic crossmax

[Apr 02, 1999]
Loren

Strength:

very light
unique King hub mechanism
bike geeks are impressed

shouldn't bike geeks get a cooler-looking wheel for $800? They're just black with some stickers.
the Manitou rumor is true - my dad tried to use a set with the Manitou Carbon fork and the front won't fit without a re-lace to the inside of the hub flange. Both Bontrager and King have advised that its no big deal, just a slight decrease in strength

I've just taken them out for their first few rides. Very light. And, suprisingly, they seem strong. I weigh 190 and have managed to accidently hop them onto some large rocks already. So far, no truing necccessary.

Mavics with Hugi's

[Aug 07, 1999]
Jeff
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

Light Weight, Strong, Reliable

Costly

These wheels are the best. They cost a little bit but they are well worth it. Don't waste your money on anything less because these will last forever. I have abused these for eight months now and they are still as true as the day I bought them.

Mavic

[Apr 28, 1999]
Dave Voduc
Cross-Country Rider

Strength:

strong, very light
easy to service King hubs
decent price for what you get

annoying hub sound
24 spoke front wheel isn't ideal
28 spokes would only weigh 20 grams more and it would be easier to find replacement rims (if necessary)

Great wheelset- awesome hubs, lighter and less expensive than Mavic C-max.
Most of the parts (except the front rim) are easily serviced/replaced.
These wheels offer a noticeable advantage in weight and I haven't had any problems
with stiffness. QRs work well too.

Mavic Crossmax on a friend's bike

[Aug 02, 2000]
tom

Strength:

Strong, Light, Well built, good corrosion resistance, with 1degree reduced rake crown the steering is the best I have ever tried.

Thin tube walls dent easily if you are not careful

Probably one of the finest hardtails in existence.
Frame will last practically forever if you look after it.
Very expensive, but if it lasts five years, then it will have kicked practically every other frame's arse for value, whilst giving you one of the sweetest rides around.

Kona Explosif, Kona Kilauea.