Bontrager Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Bontrager Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Bontrager Privateer Comp Bike

[Sep 27, 2009]
PurpleRACE

Strength:

Very quick and responsive.

NONE.... I have 3 1 inch fork just in case.

Thank's Keith for making the best bike ever

Nothing to compare with.

[Jul 17, 2007]
Scott

Strength:

Smooth as butter. Keith Bontrager new how to build a sweet bike. I bought the frame, used from a bike shop employee that wanted to be able to use discs. I live in utah and don't believe discs are necessary for a XC rider here. If you have the opportunity to get one of these sweet bikes do it, they ride incredibly well with a modern 80mm fork, I actually have a 100mm fork and still love it (with lots of sag though).

not made anymore!

Steel is a great material for bikes, unless your the kind that needs to impress the Mountain Bike Action crowd. i have had my steel bike for over 5 years and it is just as good as the day I bought it. COMFORTABLE, my bike is much more comfortable for even two hour rides than any aluminum bike I have ever ridden, and the fram only weighs a half pound more. Durability over Weight any day.

Many other aluminum hardtails:trek, canondale, specialized, etc.

[Feb 18, 2007]
Mattman

Strength:

almost everything! lightweight steel frame, mostly xt component set, x-ray grip shifters, super comfortable, super reliable!

1" threaded headset makes it impossible to upgrade the fork! my q21r's finally failed and i had to replace it with an RST fork. even trade if anything. would have liked to get an upgrade out of it.

this is the greatest bike ever! steel frame will NEVER wear out and is lighter then many aluminum bikes, climbs, decends, and goes like mad, ALWAYS ready to ride! i've had this bike for just about 10 years now and like wine, it just gets better! the headset is finally failing which will be difficult to replace because of it's 1" threaded nature...but im sure as hell gonna try! if i lost both my legs in some aweful accident i'd still keep this bike just so i could say i have one and you don't!

[Mar 06, 2006]
Michael Murphy

Strength:

Bombproof frame, intuitive handling, retro-sexy, reasonably light. The toughest frame ever.

Not the absolute lightest frame, but light enough for me.

I had my most catastrophic crash on this frame. I hit a protruding root with my pedal and went end-over-teakettle, slid into a tree on my head, bike on top of me. The rear wheel came down upside down hard enough to pull it right out of the dropouts; luckily the wimpy XT v-brake pivots folded out of the way, so my brake studs were not damaged. The rim was trashed but the frame is still right as rain; I had it checked for alignment and it's good to go.

Privateers are the low-budget mass-produced version of the Bontrager Race. I wanted a Race, but I wasted my money to pay off my girlfriends bills, so I ended up with the Privateer; 98 percent of the performance at half the price of a Race (Keith's words, not mine). It's just a little heavier, but not too bad. I love my Privateer; both wheels brake evenly into corners, the steel frame is forgiving (it doesn't beat me senseless like an aluminum frame), it climbs great, and it's Tonka-tough. The slim (by today's standards) True Temper tubing is so elegant, particularly with the wishbone stays and no-bridge chainstay. The dropouts are not only heavy-duty, but in the event of a failure (not very likely) they can be bolted back together with a bottle cage bolt to get you home. No aluminum frame could take the abuse that a Privateer can.

I would say this is probably the most durable mass-produced frame ever. It's at least in the top-five, and I'd recommend it to anyone. Anyone.

I bought this frame second-hand six months after I sold it to a guy from the shop I worked at. He was going into the service and no longer had a need for it. I only paid him $280, and I felt a little guilty about it, but he needed the money right away and that was all I could get together on short notice. I upgraded everything to Deore XT over time. This frame will hopefully outlive me; if I ever have kids and grandkids, I hope they fight over this bike. I've got a Marzocchi Comp coil with a 1" steerer I plan to install soon.

I bought another Privateer which I plan to paint this summer; it's got a 1 1/8" steerer tube, so I can stop hunting for 1" steerer forks.

North Star Estrella, Balance XR 750, Diamondback Response Sport

[Oct 18, 2006]
Chris

Strength:

Steel is real. Geometry is made for single track. Its the only MTB that I feel comfortable on (am a roadie.)

Weight, but that's outweighed by the plushness of the steel frame.

Get 'em.... then give them to me.... I promise to take great care of them for you.... honest

Tried lots of bikes, too many....

[Mar 16, 1998]
Aaron
cross-country rider

Beautiful bike. I tried to by from my local bike shops, but they did not really want my business. Unfortunately to put food on the table and pay rent they have to stock the latest fashions that sell on looks, gimmicks. So I drove and hour and a half to Supergo, got Privateer Comp for $870, 980 after bar ends, cages, pump, and taxation. ANYWAYS, the bike is wonderful, very responsive, lively ride, almost springy, though not flexy.(Whatever that means) It is sweet. I'm so glad my GT got stolen. Of course I have 2 minor complaints. I wish it were lighter- XL 26lbs. I had trouble picking the size, Supergo claims the XL is 21 inches. I'm 6ft. 33 inch inseam. I was looking at a lot of 18 in. 19.5 inch bikes. The XL just felt much better than the L. The XL is about 19.5 inches from BB to top tube. The standover height is about 31 inches. that gives me 3-4 inches between the top tube and my future family contrubutions. I'd like to have more, but on the L it felt to crowded, and like I was gonna fly over the bars going uphill. Choose carefully. Have a nice day. P.S. I will support my local merchants when it is time to service my bike. I hope they don't sabatoge me.

[May 22, 1996]
tracy clark
weekend warrior

model:race I bought the privateer and added a judy dh and so far the bike is great!. My last bike was a cannondale f700 and the bontrager feels soooo much better, more predictable if that makes since. This is my first steel bike and I now wish i had tried it before I spent my money on other bikes. I do not know what else to say except that the bike is great and when I emailed bontrager about some questions KB himself responded, now that is service to me. In the future I plan to try my hand at racing so I will have to update you later.

[May 23, 1998]
Brian
weekend warrior

I love this bike! I got a 97 Privateer S from Supergo for a killer $599. I have had the bike for a month now and it rocks. I put on a Judy XC with Dirt Works Dual rate springs, bontrager barends, and OURY grips. This bike feels so much better than my GT. It is light and agile, I ride so much better. I am 6'2, 195 and 34 inseam and got the XL frame. It is just right for me. I have ridden this bike every weekend and raced once. The XT drivetrain is much better than my old STX and the springs really make the XC into a nice fork. I love this bike and so will you! Gotta go ride...

[May 24, 1998]
Webb Phillips
cross-country rider

This is definately the best material possession I have ever bought. I got a '97 Race for $1400, which I think is a pretty sweet deal. There is no best bike for all people; the bontrager Race is basically designed for singletrack cross-coutry racing. It handles almost too well, feels smooth but accelerates like a panther kitty, and comes with light and durable bontrager components. This is an honest, durable, and light bike that always puts functionality over flashiness. This bike is not designed for looking cool (though it does anyway); it's not a cannondale. It's designed for durability, lightness, and above all, speed.On a side note, I have my own theories about the whole Bontrager - Trek thing. Keith Bontrager answers emails personally, and he writes very honestly and informatively about mountain bike technology on his web site (www.bontrager.com). He thinks high rise handlebars are a fad and are a clear case of choosing aesthetics over functionality. The Race line uses flat bars. But the '98 Privateer line uses high rise bars! Why the contradiction? The Privateer line has, in some sense, been sold out. People who say bontrager has sold out his committment to quality are wrong, and those who say that he has maintained it are wrong. He sold out the Privateer line and kept ahold of the Race line. Don't get me wrong; the Privateers are still the best bikes in their price range. And Bontrager is becomming less stogily conservative than he once was. He's following some good trends: Time ATAC pedals, semi-slick tires, XTR/LX derailleurs instead of XT/XT. But if you want a real bontrager; a bike that puts quality first and always first, get a Race or better.On a side note, I noticed something odd about my bontrager. If I ride with no hands, everything goes fine for about twenty seconds, and then the front wheel starts to wobble back and forth very rapidly, more and more violently, until I have to grab it. On my old 29 lb. Cro-Mo bike I could ride through fields and over fire roads with no hands. On my bontrager, I get nervous on sidewalks. Does anyone else have this problem? I guess it's just a result of racey handling.

[Jan 10, 2001]
Alan

Strength:

drove out to cali just to get this bike after breaking my FTW alum(ouch)hardtail. no more. steel is my friend here on the rocks of Sedona. Everyone else here rides FS. relativity i guess. remember rigid forks? this bike will steer up a 15% switchback w/o the need for a track stand turn-just rolls through it if you keep pedalin'. on the down it corners like a ferrari! just like those Italiains...design, design, design. it makes all the difference. but, i'm glad it's made in the USA.

mine came with a Judy XC(bontrager offset). after blowing the cartridge twice, i decided to get a real fork and found a 1" marzocchi Z-2. It was like having a new bike! a couple of rides got me used to the new geometry(1/4" offset ). no offense keith, but the bike handles even better with the slack offset. also, the wheels had to go. i replaced the mustang/XT wheels with some 2 cross 3 hand built Mavic 217's(3 years ago my friends). the rear is still going. the front was left at the red canyon parking lot near Bryce,UT in july 2000. if you found it i'll pay a reward!

i hope this bike lasts forever. the only other bike i haven't broken in my life of mtn biking(13 years) is my rigid '91 prestige stumpy. the bontrager will not become a 'towny'!

nothing compares at the price, but my rigid stumpy set it all up for the future.......