Bike Friday Pocket Llama Bike 1998 or Older

Pocket Llama

Bike Friday Pocket Llama

dcsdiego3   Cross Country Rider [Aug 22, 2010]
Strength:

Definitely it can be flown in case to anywhere I want to go. Domestically I fly SWA for free baggage.

I went with a 24 speed so the derailer hangs very close to the ground. This is NO mountain bike. Another complaint is very often after folding and unfolding the gearing needs to be re adjusted

I have a top end version of a Raleigh road bike and an Ellsworth evolve. Seriously if I could only own one bike it would be the Pocket Llama. I have ridden it up both ends of The "Road to the sun highway" and Rocky Mountain National Park. Have toured CO with trailer and some without. For touring I know my road bike is faster but could never take that on trails off road. Again no rock gardens on this bike. Camp touring I fly by carrying on a day pack and max sized legal carry on back pack. I put helmet, camp gear etc in a golf duffel bag and check that along with the bike. Around town it is great as it is fast, nimble and anytime I can throw it on a bus, train or subway.

Abneycat   Cross Country Rider [Feb 05, 2009]
Strength:

Custom fit, exceptional performance for a folding bicycle, extremely good design able to accommodate multiple riding styles, top notch quality and durability - this bike can handle all the rigors of XC riding one day, then hop on a plane and go for an expedition tour in far off lands the next. The geometry is matched to ride like a "normal" full sized bike, and the performance is up there too.

Smaller wheels handle most off road demands well (exceptional at tight switchbacks, precise maneuvering), but have a weakness in that they will sink into deep ruts harder, as well as being harder to guide over larger rocks - rock gardens are not for the Llama, for instance.

If you're looking for a great travel bike for cross country riding or expedition touring, the Bike Friday Pocket Llama may well be the best. Handmade in the USA from the ground up EXACTLY how you like it. None of this junk where you get to pick from 2-3 colours or something like that - the bike is built to your specification every step of the way.

Performance is astounding. The Llama rides like a full sized bike, and the hinge design presents no real weakness - The Llama has the strength and ride of a good steel XC bike.

The small wheels are exceptionally good for tight maneuvering and switchbacks, beating out their larger brethren in this regard, IMO. They do fall short in situations where the small wheels may sink into deep ruts or strike taller rocks though, so there is a trade off. Overall, the Llama is still a very competent Cross country machine.

Similar Products Used: Dahon Speed D7 - the only similarity is that they fold. Ride wise, the Llama is very similar to my rigid Rocky Mountain Hammer.
Mike Kelly   Weekend Warrior [Dec 25, 1999]
Strength:

Folds into a samsonite suitcase for tariff free travel. Rides like a full size bike.

The small wheels are better on some moves and not as good as 26 on others, it's a wash.

Great Bike! Travels and yet performs like a full size bike. Good company to deal with.

Steve Barber   cross-country rider [Apr 06, 1998]

The Bike Friday Pocket Llama is a folding off-road bike that fits into a standard size suitcase, which
means it does not get charged the outrageous airline fee. It uses a Sachs 3x7 drive train, has a Gianni
suspension seatpost, a Softride stem (recommended), and 20 knobbies. It rides like a real mountain
bike cross-bred with a BMX. In technical situations, it responds better to precision than full speed ahead
and damn the torpedos. The bike is custom made to your sizing specifications (mine is identical in fit to
my Titus HCR). There's a raft of cool extras, including a kit that turns the suitcase into a bike trailer!This is not the bike to race in, or to abuse on a major gravity course. But if, like me, you travel frequently,
it's nice to be able to arrive somewhere with a bike that fits, while sneering, er, smiling at the nice airline
folks! For fitting a specific purpose very well, 5 stars.

Brendan   weekend warrior [Nov 15, 1998]

The Bike Friday sucks. My friend John bought one and he loves it. I rode it and it made me feel like a damn fool!!! I'm 6'3 and this bike does not agree with me. It feels too damn BMX like. That and the fact I'm just too damn big for damn BMX crap. I'd rather ride my 8 year old son's bike.