Barracuda Team XX Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Barracuda Team XX

dgodfrey   Weekend Warrior [Jul 27, 2010]
Strength:

I have loved this bike since I purchased my Team Dos XX model in the mid-90s, brand new. Saw it on clearance in a local shop, rode it briefly and no other bike has ever handled like this. It still has pretty much all the original parts and has been going strong.....until now.

No "weaknesses" for 20 years, but just found out that I have an unrepairable crack in the frame. I'm crushed and wondering how I can restore this bad-boy or at least get a replacement frame that I can stick all my old components on. They still work great and are cool as hell.

May have to say goodbye to my old friend.

Similar Products Used: Nothing else like it.
digitalkreation   Weekend Warrior [Sep 22, 2008]
Strength:

1. Killer paint scheme
2. Strong tubeset (with the teardrop top tube)
3. Product rarity

If you're looking for one? See item #3 above..

I was 21 and took a stroll through a new Bike Shop that opened in London Ontario called "The Spokes People", just off Richmond near Joe Kool's. They had the entire Barracuda product line hanging in the racks. I'd never seen the Barracuda line, and was immediately taken with the XX-Team bike. I asked for a test ride and was granted 15 minutes on the bike. Sold!!

Now, I only had enough money for a frame, but I sweet-talked one of the co-owners into stripping it down. The next day, I had the frame in my hands. I think I paid $600.00 plus taxes.

I was out of work soon after, and the frame sat in my basement for the winter. In the spring, I still hadn't found a great job and needed money, so I sold the frame back to the shop, expecting I'd be able to get it again once I had some cash. Unfortunately, the bike shop went under, and nobody else in town dealt in Barracuda. It's 1995 and the internet wasn't what it is now, so I had little means of locating another shop with access to them.

Fast forward to the present day. I'm searching for these bikes and am finding it hard to find any in decent shape. I'm reading this forum and picking up some history on the brand and everyone's experiences with their bikes, and I see one post stick out from a chap who (when he posted in 2003 or something) offered to part with his. On a whim, I email him to see if it went and for how much. He still has it!

After some negotiating, I purchase the bike and within a week, it's sitting here in my livingroom, stripped and cleaned. Unfortunately, the bike has been loved battlescars) and I will likely need to hire Spectrum Powder Works to refinish it. I'd have loved to keep the finish as it is, for historical purposes, but I'm fine with a new paintjob. They will even recreate the graphics by hand and seal them under the clear coat.

I plan on restoring this bike using the A2X Team Issue components, which included Ringle accessories and period correct XTR components. I will post some pics here in my profile and over at www.retrobike.co.uk (who has a great Barracuda section including some vintage ads and a 1995 catalogue.

Just wanted to share my story and experiences with anyone reading. You never know what you may find with a little digging. :)

Similar Products Used: Rocky Mountain Hammer, Specialized Stumpjumper
Christian Tichatschke   Cross Country Rider [Mar 15, 2002]
Strength:

absolutely great paint job, frame geometry and material, uniqueness and style

rear cable hanger, at leadt if you wanted to use cantis

In 1994 I bought the Barracuda team bike (Durango), which had commercially been called A2X but was completely similar to the XX, only lacking all the fancy red stuff, which came from the master Goeff himself. Well, I bought a ringlé stem instead to give that bike what it needed! I still got the old Tange Ultralight tubed frame, which was changed into an aluminium one in ´95, I think. It is a really nicely welded frame, absolutely light and the design is perfect. I fell in love with it from the first minute I saw it. The harder it was to see how the company went down, and the bikes build after ´96 shouldn´t carry the name Barracuda any more....
The handling of the bike is great. It took me for some thousand kilometers above various mountains throughout Europe and it still works great. Of course some of the old parts had to be removed, but the frame and even the Manitou III still are doing their jobs. I´m very proud of owning one of these fine bikes, which, if it comes to the Cuda team, had never been available in Germany.
This is a hell of a bike, I love it and will never change it into one of these faceless new ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Ehm   Racer [Dec 03, 2006]
Strength:

Solid as hell

rear cantilever mount

At first I thought my XX Team was to big for me(as I enjoy throwing around smaller bikes). After a year of riding this old-school beast, I have gotten totally attached.She handles awesome and she weighs next to nothing(unlike my wife)Anyhoo, my buddy sent me this frame from up north and it sat around for almost 2 years before I gave her an overhaul. I'll be riding this B*tch for a while!!
Not meant for the downhill scene but great for people who like speed!

Similar Products Used: none
Scott Packer   Cross Country Rider [Jul 29, 2006]
Strength:

Old school! This was my first bike. My ex-wife has had it sitting around in her garage, and I just got it back from her. I replace the old marzoochi xcr fork and replaced it with a magura asgard fork. Brings back memories, this bike rides nice after all these years. It still has the original derailers, shifters, wheels. I get a lot compliments when I ride it.

I have a brand new Yeti 575, Cannondale Gemini, GT idrive, but i still like to ride my Barracuda! It is light, climbs well, looks cool, and nobody else has one of these anymore. If you see kickass vintage USA made bikes like this, buy it and appreciate how far technology has come, eventhough I would put this up against most new hardtails.

Similar Products Used: hardtail cannondale, yeti arc
Kindica   Downhiller [Apr 11, 1999]
Strength:

The geometry of the frame. A +

Its weakness is the weak- ass rider behind it.

The bottom line is ride what you got and tear it up....bottom line.

Similar Products Used: Fat chance
Jason Logan   cross-country rider [Sep 30, 1998]

I purchased this bike last year an i is the BEST fron suspention bike that i have ever riden. I think that the shifters need a bit of tuning on mine. I've taken this bike to West Virginia and it was very muddy. I love riding in muddy conditions. In conclution this bike Kicks ASS!

Charles   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 05, 1999]
Strength:

Frame is SOLID.
Big fan of the paint job -- it's DIFFERENT, and tha't refreshing nowadays.

Max size made was 19 I'm 6'4, so I really could have used a 20

Hooray for Old School! (I'm probably going to be a bit epic in this review, so skip it if you don't have the time.)I was searching for a bike earlier this year, so I started checking into MTBR to find some older, positively-reviewed rides. This was one of them. I wanted a UNIQUE, LEGITIMATE, non-new bike. (Basically, I hadn't ridden in a LONG time and didn't want to be the poser with the ultra-expensive, triked-out bike who didn't know how to use it. I can't stand those types.) And, since you don't see older Barracudas around much anymore, I jumped on the chance to buy one off E-Bay. Luckily, I was able to find the '95 model (the last year before the buyout by Ross, I think), so it's been 100% solid. I've heard some less-positive reviews about the newer XX Team models, but that's really all hearsay. My '95 is gold.Only setback I've seen so far is that the bike was designed pre-V-brakes, so I've had to deal with a few MINOR problems making my Avids work. Clearance in the fork is lacking, so I can't fully open the brakes and get the front wheet out without deflating a bit first. (Of course, I could go and buy a new shock, but why spend the $ when mine works fine?) And, one of the frame-mounted cable guides intended for the rear brake wasn't big enough to hold a cable (go figure), so I had to re-rig brake and shifter cables to make it all work out.That aside, this bike is great. It rides well, it's solid, and it gets the job done without complaints. If you ever come across one, nab it, and then enjoy it for all it's worth. That's the bottom line.