Barracuda A2v Bike 1998 or Older

Barracuda A2v

Chrissy   Cross Country Rider [Mar 31, 2003]
Strength:

So responsive and lightweight! It climbs like a dream and has raised my level of riding to an all time high! Let's not forget the cool paint job! It looks hot! Wellgo pedals are easy to adjust to a light rider. I tried my husbands Time allum pedals an was stuck like glue in them, that is not the case with the wellgo! Components are bomb proof! I ride in every possible condition and haven't had them fail me yet! Snow, ice or 100 degree summer scorchers! I climb, climb, climb!
Nice stiff travel in the fork, yet softens the downhill just enough to ease arm and hand fatigue!

That seat will break your ass! Remove it before you even try to ride it! (Unless you have a crotch of steel or are a masochist!)
Paint is very, very thin! Since the bike was so cheap, this seems trivial. I don't care much for the breaks, but the only other better options, like disk breaks weight alot more. You have to replace break pads like crazy and the cables are in need of adjustment often! I just tried switching to aztec break pads, I understand they are much more durable!

A great bike for the money...who cares if your bike is scratched up! I'm the Queen of endos and if I can't kill or mame this bike, I don't know who can! If you are considering buying it...do it! You will not be sorry!
Great for lighter riders like myself because of the Manitou fork and the pedals are easily adjusted for small folk! I rate it high for value and a 5 overall rate would only apply to a perfect setup...like a 22lb. hardtail with higher end components! This Barracuda, however, is a solid bike!

Similar Products Used: Giant Iguana, 2002 Giant XTC SE2 is my soft-tail, rode both the rockhopper and stumpjumper by Specialized.
gak   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 04, 1999]
Strength:

Great frame.The geometry is very comfortable long top tube 22.5 for a 16 bike.
Very stable and great climber.
Very good paint job.
Resonably responsive
The Feel of Steel !!
Value for money(Got mine at closeout price)

Thin paint.
OEM brakes Dia-compe hardly adequate. OEM fork RS Q21R poor match for my type of riding.
Not quite as quick as I would like to tackle some really technical single track

I have the pre-Ross (1995) frame - Tange Ultimate Superlight MTB steel. Nice ovalized top and down tube. The frame is top notch quality steel. The A2V had known the benefit of comfortable geometry long before Gary Fisher's Genesis geometry.Long TT makes it a very stable and comfortable climber. I can do 95% of climb sitting down. Generaly very responsive handling except the really technical single track.4 stars for performance
5 stars for value

Similar Products Used: '96 Mongoose IBOC
'97 KHS Comp
'98 K2 1000
Conrad   [May 01, 2000]
Strength:

it's strength, speed, fun factor, fit like a glove from the first ride.

Broke the Manitou shock in half, paint is really chippy, broke Cuda handle bars, broke crank, tore derailler in half on a hard shift and an uphill, XT V-brakes broke, brake handles broke, wheel set almost with out saying broke, wellgo peddles suck, seat broke, seat post broke, have gone through like 5 derailler hangers.

I love the Frame. By far my favorite Bike. It climbs fast enough, goes down real fast. Fun to use. I beat the crap out of it, and nothing happens to the frame. I don't race it anymore just abuse it. Though since it seems to go through parts fast I'm going to turn it into a single speed. You should by this bike, if you can find one, if you are ride oriented more than just racing. You want a bike that will never die, seems to get you out of what could have been bad situations. This bike seems to have a soul that wants to make sure you have fun, but don't die or anything.

Similar Products Used: Trek Carbon 9.8, Litespeed Obed, Klein Attitide Race, Univega Aluminum crap bike, Kona Lave Dome(I think).
Jesse Melanson   Cross Country Rider [Apr 26, 2000]
Strength:

Let's leave it at that....Strenth. The frame is more durable than my dad's Chevy. The paint job is a killer design, and the geometry is perfect. I can climb most hills on the saddle. Also, these bikes last long.

The paint chips easy, but so doesn't marriage.

I paid $200 for my A2F in 1998. It came with STX, and no suspension. I upgrade it a lot. After 2 years, I just happened to find a Barracuda A2M frameset in Jenson USA. I bought it, and put some XT, and LX stuff on it. I love both of those bikes. The only thing I didn't really like, was the fact it was a hardtail. I didn't want to sacrifice my awesome bike, so I bought a Rock Shox suspension seatpost. All I can say is...WOW. Super-nice.
So, if you ever see a Barracuda for sale, go for it. They are super nice, and you won't have any regrets. If you want a nice bike to race, or just have fun, then buy a Barracuda. But if you are a guy who just wants a bike that costs next-to-nothing, then buy a Barracuda.>>>>>
PS: I wish there were more than just 5 chilis

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher, Rocky Mountain.
Scott   cross-country rider [Feb 23, 1999]

Bought the A2v last year, and fell in love with it. Have raced it twice , and am planning to do alot more this year. Has a XT,,ESP pakage with magura hdr. brakes. This is a great climbing and handling bike at 19. There are only a few left out on the market, so if you can get your hands on one you'll be extadic with it!!! My only complaint is the paint might be a little thin, and chip marks do show ,,,but what the hell,,,if you don't crash,,,you ain't ridin !!!!