Barracuda A2R Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Barracuda A2R Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Barracuda A2R

[Sep 30, 2008]
Richbert

Strength:

Strong Frame, Great Looking Graphics, decent enough peripherals. Decent weight. Easy to balance.

Single walled wheels. No disc breaks. Not alot of stopping power and the plastic lever brackets flex under hard breaking.

I have used this b!#ch off and on for about 14 years on road to commute and in one hulava tough park. Folded the stock front wheel traversing a down hill (my bad for not changing them out, and had a long sore walk). Bidwell is rocky with alot of drop offs. Never had a problem otherwise. On a kick lately to try and break it though. So far, bike one, me nothing. Smooth, easy to power up and over clefts and big rocky uphills. Fly's downhill. Fly's on smooth dirt. Being a hard tail, gotta get the butt off the seat cause you feel everything. I go 6' 215.......and I don't think I am good enough to do this thing in, I am only an average thrasher. Snapped a chain on a tough rocky uphill, but can hardly blame the bike for that. In the market for my first full suspension, but can't imagine getting rid of the Cuda as long on it still is in one piece.

Mongoose something something ........

[May 21, 2003]
Daniel P.

Strength:

stiff, strong, agile frame

Paint comes off easily, heavy

This was the first bike I assembled myself, with proper maintenance it could last a lifetime. The frame is superstrong and soft on the rear. Has never given me any problems on rides or ultra races. The newer aluminum versions of the a2r can't be half as good as the original steel.

Rockhopper Comp, GT Karakoram, Diamondback Apex

[Nov 10, 2002]
Eric Ratch

Strength:

-Indestructable frame
-nice graphics
-handles well
-stiff

-paint has continued to flake off
-annoying little squeak

***This review is for the frame only***

I bought the frame from Cyclepath in Brantford after my Klein Mantra died and used some of its parts to build up this beutiful hardtail. Its a 1996 steel frame. It handles great, especially in thight technical situations. There is just a hint of flex in the frame but its not even noticeable unless your in a stationary trainer, but I'm also 200 lbs so this could be expected. The damn paint is crap, it flakes off and leaves the steel frame exposed to the elements, causing rust. Luckily I cought this before hand and did some touch ups. If you ever see a bike like this for sale buy it. These old steel hardtails kick ass like a pissed off WWE wrestler. You won't be dissapointed!

2000 Giant Rincon SE
1995 DBR Topanga
1994 GT Outpost

[Aug 07, 2002]
Eric

Strength:

-Super strong frame
-Cool looking decals and paint

-Paint flakes too easily

I bought this frame about 2 weeks ago from my Cyclepath in Brantford. Built it up with the parts from my broken Klein, and now I can't stop riding it. The frame is stiff and there is no noticeable side to side flex while pedaling-ever (and I'm 210 lbs 6'). It corners well and is reasonably light weight for a steel hardtail. Mine weighs in at 24lbs. I had a FS bike (Klein Mantra Comp) but decided to go back to a hardtail after many costly repairs to the rear shock. The final nail in the coffin was when the Mantra cracked at the dropout. Coming from a FS bike back to a hardtail is difficult, I can't sit through the rough stuff anymore but thats ok because now I can feel what I'm riding over. After only 2 weeks I've put on 150 off road km, and I still can't get enough. I'm gonna ride this bike until I kill it. In a few months I will update my post.

Giant Rincon, GT Outpost, DBR Topanga

[Sep 26, 1998]
Gettingridof MeCuda
weekend warrior

I bought my A2R in December '95 but bought a 19. As I'm 16 and into trials, jumping and some slalom my 19 frame is a 'little' big. Actually, the only original part of the bike is the frame. I'm not too sure but I think Barracuda have gone out of business (it wouldn't surprise me by the advertising they had) so I'm buying a small GIANT ATX 890 frame. All in all, after having my Barracuda frame for 3 years (almost) and not treating it the way it was supposed to be treated and yet still it has never had a problem I give it, well, the frame anyway, a 5 star rating is given from me!!! CYA...

[Sep 26, 1998]
Gettingridof MeCuda

[Sep 23, 1998]
Tim
cross-country rider

The A2R is a great bike for the price. I got a 96 in 97 for half off and only ended up spending about 425. This is my first bike since I just started riding last year. Its a great bike to learn on and for the price its hard to argue against. Only disappointment is the weight.

[Sep 23, 1998]
Tim
cross-country rider

[Mar 22, 1998]
Bob
weekend warrior

Just bought a '97 Cuda A2RS from GorillaTrading after thoroughly reviewing price and components of almost all MTB's. For the most part [Cannondale excluded] MTB manufacturers are assemblers of Shimano parts on a limited number of frames. Check the quality of the A2RS components for the money.....enough said. I'll get back if my riding experience differs from the enjoyment I've experienced so far.

[Mar 22, 1998]