Avanti Hammer Bike 1998 or Older

Avanti Hammer Bike 1998 or Older

Avanti Hammer

[Aug 01, 2008]
Bruce

Strength:

High level of componentry for the price.

My only gripe would be, the Rock Shoxs, Tora 318's do require a bit of time adjusting them to the rider’s weight. But what good quality shocks today don't.

Having shopped around for the best level of componentry in the price range of $1500 - $1800, I couldn't beat the Avanti Hammer. The contempory frame design that Avanti use on this bike is a proven thing, Avanti just continued to improve on it.

The Avanti Hammer that I bought is the L (large) frame size. I'm 90kg and 5'11" tall. 90% of my riding is on road daily to work and back, I could sit on this bike all day if work didn't get in the way. For the 10% trail riding that I do, it's superb.

I would recommend this bike for riders who prefer their bikes with very little flare in their design i.e. bends and twists all over the bike. The Avanti Hammer would suit riders who just want something that works, and works well.

Avanti Lightning, Avanti Barracuda.

OVERALL
[Jul 29, 1999]
Shane

Strength:

Great value for money light frame
good fork
excellent components package
Cool color (Gold)

The DiaCompe levers sux
The rear brake section of the frame flexs under heavy braking

My first MTB (I switch from road recently) and I love it! Bought mine at the end of finanical year sale and paid a lot less than the RRP. The standard component setup is comparable to bike with $2000 price tag. The bike is light, tipping the scale at about 25 lbs. The frame is made by Kinesis and the welding and finish quality are better than most other bikes in this price range. The Jett XC is a great shock with heap of travel and has excellent damping (by farrrrrrrr...... better than C and T2). The standard stem is too flat and a bit too long for me. I change mine to Icon (90, 7) and the riding position is a lot more comfortable now. The DiaCompe brake actaully brakes as well as the LX. If you want more in the rear, get a brake booster. Oh, and the tires are great too with heaps of grips. Conclusion: A great bike with a smaller price tag. I would recommand this to any beginnner who is thinking of taking up MTB riding seriously. 5 chillies defintely.

Giant ATX 890