AMP Research B5 Bike 1998 or Older

Amp Research B5

Rodney Hickey   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 07, 2000]
Strength:

Light!!
Climbing!!
Wow Factor!!
Horst Linkage !!

Small tubing in rear!!
Pivots!!
Shock mount design!!
Cost of parts!!

This is one sweet ride!! I've been riding this bike in all conditions (night and day) for the past 6 or so months and have nothing to really complain about. I'm 180-190 lbs, and ride frequently. This bike climbs like a mountain goat and rides oh so smooth. The rear triangle is a little on the small side and it does flex somewhat (what can you expect from a 24 lb FS rig??). I've ridden IRC mythos XC, Michelin wildgrippers and a set of home-studded Norco tires all with great success.
I'd recommend this ride to a XC rider/racer but not someone who rides on extreme (eg. Canadian north Shore) and is into 10' drops etc.

Similar Products Used: GT XCR
GT LTS
Specialized FSR
Clinton Bylo   racer [Oct 02, 1998]

My review is not on the B5 but on the B4. I have owned my amp B4 for about 6 months and have raced it just as long. I think that the amp bike is an outstanding bike. I have heard lots of people talk about problems with their rear shock, but I have not had one problem. But if you do, I have tested the rear shocks from risse and they rock!

Karl   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 17, 1999]
Strength:

It's super light!
Awesome brakes, plush!

To make it light, AMP skimped on pivot size, which causes them to wear out prematurely!

This is my second review of this bike. I have now replaced ALL of the bushings, and rebuilt the front shocks once, the rear FOUR times. Yes, the rear shock sucks! I have just ordered a Risse Astro-5, hope that fares better. AMP seems to believe that one way or another they will get their old shock to work better, they should save their time and $$ and just install the Risse! They have been pretty good about sending bits to keep the bike together, their shipping dept. is a tad slow, it usually takes 2 weeks to get anything! the brakes continue to be fantastic (and howl like crazy!), the metallic pads still show no wear after 2 years of hard use! The calipers, however, are becoming very rattley on their mounts, at first AMP said there was no fix, then the last time I complained, they sent me new bushings for the sliders. So, I still love the bike, warts and all. If it weren't for slow parts shipping and the shock and bushing problems, it would easily be a 5-chile bike.

Similar Products Used: AMP B-2
John   Cross-Country Rider [May 17, 1999]
Strength:

Disc Brakes
Sloping top tube

Rear shock
Fingerprints in decals

A beautiful bike to have in your collection. Also, a lesson about not paying attention to reviews written by professional magazine writers. I love the fork, I love the brakes. But, if you want to tear it up, bunnyhop railroad tracks and small trees, and you weigh more than about 170, take something stiffer. I never got the bike set up correctly, and got speed wobbles because of that. I could only get 3 usable suspension out of the rear, after dialing in sag per Horst's recommendations. The Leitners are wonderful people, but this bike should not be abused by someone like me, expecting to use a full suspension bike to its fullest. I used this bike in Illinois / Wisconsin, and will be using it in California when it gets shipped here. If you're interested in one of these bikes, get in touch with me. Who knows, this mechanic-owned beauty might be available to hang in your stall?! (Sorry, the 'Dale is gone, Ruby & PF aren't for sale)

Similar Products Used: Pro Flex 3000
Kestrel Rubicon
Cannondale Super V
GT LTS
Pedalface   cross-country rider [Feb 08, 1999]

I changed the rear shock to A Risse Astro-5.
Now I am happy. The bike works fantastically with this shock.
Very, very plush, with on the fly lockout.
Improves lateral support significantly.Now I will be replacing the Amp disc brakes, which were great, but don't last,
and the front F4 forks, I want atleast 4 of travel.But I am very happy with this bike, it is a leopard at 26Lbs.

Tommy   cross-country rider [Jan 29, 1999]

i have never owned such an expensive piece of junk... the worst investment i
have ever made. the rear shock blows up every ride (just about). not only does
it blow seals and leak oil, i have had the shock eyes (where the bolts go through) actually break. the frame now this is another story. i dont know who they designed the frame for (girls maybe) because the frame handles like junk.
it constantly twists, steering is so imprecise its scary. pedal and it shifts ,chain rubs,sometimes wont shift . i have full xtr just for the record and had many shops adjust it for me , and all they could tell me was to go get a new bike. the fork... i have the carbon f4blt fork which on the disc side the leg broke it just broke very scary also (junk). last... everytime i call amp reasearch for warranty they act like its all my fault, give me funny feelings
like im too abusive. but in the end it gets warrantied. too bad you cant get money for down time ... it could of helped pay for the 4800.00 bad investment.
if not paid for its self (just in down time). i give this bike 5 NEGATVE chillies.

Karl   weekend warrior [Jun 23, 1998]

I bought my B-5 for it's awesome brakes,light weight,and plush suspension.Weighing in at only 145,this bike works very well for my riding style.It is super stable at insane speed on terrible terrain,as well as being great in not caring what line you pick uphill.I've changed to the metal brake pads,they last forever when compared to the std. organic ones.But OH how the howl sometimes! The shocks-in a year of thrashing this bike,I have only rebuilt the rear shock once-so I don't understand what others have done to trash the shock so quickly!!! I do need to replace ALL the pivot pins and bushings in both the fork and the rear,which I see as a bit early-AMP should really consider larger pivots,it couldn't add THAT much weight !Also it's now time to rebuild the front dampeners-no biggie except the seals are tiny! All said,it's a wonderful bike,just a bit overpriced at retail.A bit flexy for you larger riders,great if you're light.Helluva advantage on a rough,rocky race course!

Peter k.   cross-country rider [Jun 16, 1998]

After riding the bike 2-3 times per week during last summer and fall I have experienced no problems other than with the rear shock. During that time the shock was rebuilt or exchanged under warranty at least 5 times (I lost count) Fortunately our Canadian distributer came through by shipping an exchange unit immediately upon receiving a phone call reporting another failure. (turnaround 1-2 days).
This spring I purchased a Risse Astro-5 as a replacement for the AMP. After about6 week of riding, I have experienced no problems with the shock. The ride is dramatically improved over the AMP.
Has anyone else tried this shock?

Ole Blokhus   cross-country rider [May 16, 1998]

I've had quite a few problems with Amp's rear shocks in the past, and as a result, I
started a primitive mailing list a while back. Chances are, if you have a problem
with your Amp, I might have some useful information that might help you. Feel free
to email me with any questions, and also
to receive the postings to the mailing list so far.Ole.

Jim Salazar   cross-country rider [May 11, 1998]

I ordered a amp research b5 custom out of Bicycle Center USA the service was great and the bike is even better.the on thing on the bike that are amp are the brakes the frame and the forks. I've never had a problem with any of the parts.I would definetly buy another one. in the future but only from BCUSA