American Eagle Durango Bike 1998 or Older

American Eagle Durango

tate owen   Cross Country Rider [Jan 26, 2002]
Strength:

Light, quick, durable

short frame turns on a dime, quick turning can make it a bit squirrelly on downhills though

very nice bike, versitile, uphill, downhill, jumps..
its been two and a half years now and there's no sign of cracks or anything in the frame. The Magura hydrolic rim brakes have been good to me too, had to replace a brake line for the first time, took like 4 hours to bleed them properly, but that was mostly cause I'd never done it.

Similar Products Used: diamondback apex,
Stuart Vrieze   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 20, 1999]
Strength:

Great lightweight frame. Good looking paint job. Great component set. Good brakes.

Don't like the seatpost clamp. Big deal, who cares.

I bought the bike as a 98 model closeout. It retails for $2000, and I got it for $850, so you can see why I say great components for the money. I just couldn't get this quality for a better price anywhere I looked. The brakes will stop you on a dime, and the RaceFace cranks are so strong and smooth. I am used to rapid fire shifters, but I am getting familiar with the gripshift, and like it more everyday. I just came back from my first cross country ride, and all I can say is wow, great ride. I can climb better, accelerate faster, and corner faster than I ever could on my Giant. It has only been one ride, but thumbs up all around for this bike, I can see why American Eagle racers do there fair share of winning, last I read, their team was 9th in the world in XC out of the 40+ teams out there, and they ride this bike. 5 flaming chillies.