American Eagle Death Valley Bike Bike 1998 or Older

Death Valley Bike

American Eagle Death Valley Bike

Jamie Timm   Cross Country Rider [Jun 01, 2001]
Strength:

The price/performance of this bike is awesome; the frame has taken a beating and still no problems. Components are great, shocks great. Just a really good all-around bike

I bent my handle bars in a crash, which is pretty much my fault. Maybe a better saddle....

I love this bike! It's not the most expensive, or flashiest, it's just fun to ride, can take a beating, and has personality. Even if people haven't heard of it I'm still a proud owner.

Keith   Cross Country Rider [Oct 27, 2000]
Strength:

Strong Frame, good components and ability to upgrade.

I submitted a review several months back when I had just started to ride the AE-DV. I have spent the entire summer on this bike logging 60-120 miles a week on it. I just wanted to report on its status after a long summer of riding. This bike Rocks! I have had no problems with this bike frame. I have tortured it too. I am 6'4" 230lbs and I rode it hard( is there any other way?)I did make some upgrades in components, especially tires and brakes. I also got a Cane Creek Thudbuster seat post which makes this bike even faster in the bumps. The only technical problems I had with the bike was a loose bottom bracket and a recurring loose spoke on the rear rim. Not bad for a hard summer. All in all I give this bike the full amount of flaming doo-doo.

Beau   Weekend Warrior [Apr 10, 2000]
Strength:

Brakes, shifting, and shocks

none as of yet

An awesome bike, on for all. A good bike for weekend warriors. Has very good components for its price. The shocks are very good and the brakes are perfect.The frame is double-butted and weighs only about 25 lbs. It has Richtey tires: Alpha and Omega, the best I think.

Similar Products Used: none
Keith Boden   Weekend Warrior [Feb 29, 2000]
Strength:

Lightweight, nimble, very responsive in tight singletrack.

Short wheelbase which takes a little getting used to for tall riders. Only other weakness is wheel clearance at the front shock in muddy conditions if you ride anything over a 2.1. It tends to get clogged up. Handle bars could be a little narrower for woods riding.

I haven't seen an American review of this bike, so I thought I would throw one in. I purchased the American Eagle Death Valley over the internet because I got a great deal on it. I formerly rode a TREK 970 singletrack that finally gave up the fight. I had never owned an aluminum bike and wasn't sure what to expect. The AE Death Valley surpassed my expectations. In Tennessee there is lots of tight singletrack with plenty of roots and rocks to navigate. The Death Valley is at home in the woods and goes where you point it. It has a nice stiff ride but doesn't bounce you all over the trail. While it is not a top of the line bike, I would say it is an entry level racer. It is a good bike for riders who want to step up to the next level but can't afford a real trick bike. Fortunately it is easy to upgrade to get more performance out of it.

Similar Products Used: specialized M2
Richard Frizel   cross-country rider [Jun 26, 1998]

I own a GT LTS 2000ds and this bike rules and so does a trek Y-3 the AEDV is way better than the Gary Fisher Josh X1 that bounces worse than a pogostick on heat but the trek Y-3 is so much better than all these bikes with its sporty cool red paint job

Jeroen van Assen   cross-country rider [May 29, 1998]

Aangezien alle commentaren over de Death valley toch door nederlanders geschreven zijn zal ik mijn mening maar in het Nederlands vertellen.
Fantastische fiets,vooral zijn gewicht heeft hij mee. Ik heb namelijk een Death valley van 97, de Death valley van 98 is namelijk achteruit gegaan. De voorvering hadden ze weg moeten laten (te zwaar) en de afmontage met die rare nieuwe dingen van sachs is ook niet veel soeps. Maar gelukkig heb ik die van 97 en daar heb ik niets dan lof over. Licht, mooi, degelijk, goed afgemonteerd (LX). Echte kwaliteit voor een redelijke prijs(f2000,-).

HeliX   racer [Oct 31, 1997]

Light, stiff, fast, good looking, no comfort: Rulez

Peter Rombouts   cross-country rider [Feb 16, 1997]

My first bike was an American Eagle Vail '95, and it was a very good
starters bike.
My new bike is an Death Valley, and it's great!
I also had a Trek, but it's not the same.
I'll stick to American Eagle for the rest of the time

Leo Langeveld   cross-country rider [Oct 31, 1996]

I bought the same bike and couldn't agree more. It is light, sharp, solid and really great. I put a Rond WP front suspension on it and it couldn't drive better. What more can I say? It's already said. For info on American Eagle or front suspension in Europe : Veltec@iaehv.nl for info.

Jeroen Kruisweg   weekend warrior [Aug 20, 1996]

This review is about my American Eagle Death Valley. American Eagle is the MTB range of Concorde (the road bike manufacturer) and since the olympic XC gold medal winner rides it I guess it is time the brand appears in MTBR. My Death Valley is an aluminium bike with fairly slim tubes, LX brakes, hubs and gear, Gripshift 800 and all other components are my favorite Ritchey Force Lite (saddle, brake levers, ahead set, steer, rims, spokes just basically everything). It weighs (!!) 9.9 kilos. The bike is very very rigid even though the tubes are not too fat. It steers very sharply, the geometry is very sports orientated and if you're a cruiser basically don't buy it you will not like the bike it's just not comfortable. BUT... if you like the woods this bike absolutely should be on your shopping list you have to ride it and experience the fun of having a bike in the price range of a Marin Rocky Ridge, Trek 8000, GT Avalanche but just 1 kilo less weight and far better components. Just performance at top level. Try it you will love it.