SR Suntour SF-XCR 2006 Front Shocks

• Crown: New shape alloy
  • Integrated HD: ID type / 50mm
  • Steerer tube: STKM

kaizer64   Cross Country Rider [Mar 18, 2011]
Strength:

It looks good, it has lockout.

Its very soft, it sags a lot. When I disable the suspension, it still moves a little.

It is good in city riding, slightly rocky roads, or in pavements. It can be used almost anywhere except those harsh terrains or downhill..

Similar Products Used: RST Launch
Entsmonkey   Cross Country Rider [May 28, 2010]
Strength:

Cheap, it's still going after over a year and over 6000miles (mostly on road).

Too soft, noisey, vague - would like more travel. The lock-out doesn't work properly

I bought my cheap bike to save my road bike from the perils of the commute to work, I used this fork solidly for over a year and have put well over 6000 miles on it 30 miles a day x 5 days a week. When on the road I turned the "preload" up to it's max (not an easy feat) and it was ok, it still was too soft and then reacted. I have since moved so am know doing 20 miles a day XC to work and it just can't cut it - I think it's done a good job but is well and truely OEM equipment, you have to be silly to buy this especially.

Not too bad just a bit cheap and flimsy - but it hasn't failed or caused me to come off too badly. for the price fine for a commuter on road/cycle paths etc... stray too far away from the tarmac and you may regret it - I haven't yet but are currently saving up for a better one

mr_glyndle   Cross Country Rider [Jan 06, 2010]
Strength:

A vast improvement over the 'toy' suspension I was riding from Argos and the like. Does take a lot of the vibration out of rough ground, and has saved me many a time when it comes to absorbing more than was really necessary, based on rider errors.

Can feel like a rudder to a boat more than a solid extension of your handlebars. If I look down while braking (something I try not to do!) I can see the front wheel move back quite a distance, not because of suspension travel but because of FLEX!

They came with the bike. I progressed very fast, partly due to the forks (I haven't owned forks as 'good' as these before), partly due to the rest of the bike, and partly because I started riding A LOT more :D
They've done me proud the past 6 months but I've definitely out grown them. So, to conclude, they are a nice introduction to what forks can do for your riding, just take into account that if you get the bug you'll probably want to upgrade pretty soon!
P.S. For what it's worth RockShox Recon Race are £190 on wiggle.co.uk right now (07.01.10). 50% off, Bargain!

Similar Products Used: Marzochi Bombers
jalapeno104   Cross Country Rider [Sep 13, 2008]
Strength:

Cheap, Good Looking, Lockout, Plenty of Travel

A little spongy under braking

This fork came as a standard fit on my bike. At the time, i'd spent a lot of time reading reviews and had pretty much decided that I would look for a bike with something better but my budget was only around £400, so there were no other alternatives. I've returned to MTB'ing after about a 10 year break, previously riding a rigid bike. I weigh 15 stone (210 pounds) and have found this fork to be much better than reviews lead you to believe, perhaps because I have nothing to compare it to. I have ridden cheap (sub-£100) toys/hardtails and this is nothing like the nastiness fitted to those. Probaby will replace this fork with something more upmarket when it gives up the ghost, but for now, I can live with it.

Similar Products Used: None
Glenn Bearry   Downhiller [Aug 23, 2007]
Strength:

Beautiful looking, good gloss all-black finish can turn heads. The pop-lock on mine is worth putting up with the weaknesses for now. The mushness is great for jumping curbs where the back wheel takes most of the force...almost feels like full suspension.

Super mushy. I accidentally hit a full curb head on and fast...and the fork actually allowed me to mush over it without wrecking! It was good that time, but usually is a bad thing

To be fair, ther small print on the web page says that this fork is for "leasure riding" only. I am attempting to get stiffer springs via my bicycle dealer, but am still unsure if they make them. The pop-lock is worth the problems, a super feature for urban riding as means of transportation. However, if I can't get stiffer springs, I will end up replacing it with a longer travel heavier-duty fork like the Rock Shox Tora that has a pop lock as well.

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi MZ comp, Rock Shox J1
Josh   Weekend Warrior [Jul 28, 2007]
Strength:

None that I could find.

Too soft for my weight, bottoms out easily... find my self doing endos alot. I am a heavy boy, so this fork may work well for lighter riders.

any of you little guys wanna buy a fork?

Similar Products Used: First front suspension bike worth mentioning, have ridden Rock shock Recon, Fox racing Talas, and some Balistic POS.
Grant Boysen   Cross Country Rider [Nov 15, 2006]
Strength:

Gives a sense of a plush ride, even over small ruts. It even takes the occasinal large drops. I Love the lockout! ( I havnt experianced any knob problems??

Under heavy braking they tend to sag, needs alittle more rebound pressure.

These are some preaty decent shocks, are they 1k Fox Shocks? No... But they do a preaty good job in my opinion. For the money they are preaty decent, you dont find lockout on many other shocks that are inexpensive. I gave them 5 chilies for value because for the money they are awsome. My friends only wish they could ride my bike. Over all 5 because they smooth out any kind of riding I can dish out, especialy the small stuff soaks it up like I dont know but it does a kick @$$ job.

Similar Products Used: Friends Rockshox on an Ironhorse. Fox Shock on friends bike.
Cornel Pristoreanu   Cross Country Rider [Nov 14, 2006]
Strength:

Sucks up bumps nicely

No rebound - when I lift the front wheel off the ground it makes a creepy noise and sends shockwaves through the bike, very scary. Too soft - bottoms out during normal braking. Compression adjustment doesn't make any difference and it got completely stuck after 1 month.

The most frustrating thing is that it effectively bottoms out under normal braking. Compression adjustment doesn't do any difference, and after 1 month the adjustment knob got completely stuck and it's now useless.
The scariest thing is that it makes a loud noise when I lift the front wheel of the ground, because it has NO rebound adjustment.
Also, some dirty oily stuff keeps appearing from inside the fork.
This is a "toy" fork, good for riding in parks, not real XC.

Similar Products Used: RockShox Tora 318 U-turn - oh yeah!
danilo rimich   Weekend Warrior [Dec 13, 2006]
Strength:

Look´s nice and maybe good for childrens.

Almost everything

It bottom´s out during normal braking like there is no springs inside the fork!I weight 230 lbs and I know that is much,but this fork is really rubish.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox Indy S
Anthony willetts   Weekend Warrior [Jul 25, 2006]
Strength:

resposive, fairly long travel, has a nice feel form larger drops

preload adjuster, makes sum strange noises as they compress while cornering

these forks would be great for any XC rider looking for sumthing that can handle a few LITTLE jumps, but if big air is your game then maybe go sumthing more desighned for the game. I have ridden these forks on everything from city commuting to 1.5m drops and even used them for DH and they feel great 2 me but i know they arnt really made for that kind of riding so im looking at upgrades. As i mentioned earlier the preload adjuster is weaker and broke after only 2 weeks of riding, now it can only be adjusted soft-medium but i can live with that. Overall these forks arnt anywhere near as bad as a lot off people think and personally i like them alot!!!

Similar Products Used: rockshox Judy XC, Marzocchi Junior T, Marzocci Bomber, Spinner Grind(dont really compare at all lol)