RockShox Recon 2006 Front Shocks

Recon

Light and stiff, with travel to 130mm and available Motion Control Damping, Recon is the choice for All Mountain bikes.
Key Features:

-Motion Control Damping (351)
-Stiff 32mm 7075 aluminum upper tube
-Disc specific or bossed lower leg options
-Forged 6061 hollow aluminum crown
-Solo Air and U-Turn coil spring options
-Compatible with all PopLocs

Bob   Cross Country Rider [Apr 07, 2011]
Strength:

Decent suspension it has good spring coil defo better than air though!

Shakes at high speeds!

They are good unless u r filthy rich and can afford amasing susp..

Alex   Cross Country Rider [May 30, 2008]
Strength:

hmmm, adjustabe,..! yeah thats about it!! No there not that bad, there just normal.

Its like there made from two flexy cucumbers! They vibrate at speed.

Cheep, you get what you pay for.

Matt J   Cross Country Rider [Apr 11, 2006]
Strength:

Adjustable damping, adjustable lockout on the fly, adjustable mm length.

Haven't ridden it long enough, but will let you (as well as rock shox) know when there is.

Hey, after riding that Manitou thru the ground, any new fork is like heaven. I'm still getting used to riding upright. As for turning, I'm 220 and 5'9" and I haven't had any problems taking hairpins. The bob might get in the was of quick bursts, but that's what on the fly lock out is for. Its great that you can adjust the mm's if youre into riding XC or a little downhill, or hell, both! Good for someone who wants little bit more travel than they had before, but still have the option to stay around where they were before.

Similar Products Used: Manitou 4
Grady   Weekend Warrior [Feb 22, 2006]
Strength:

Easy to adjust travel (80 to 130mm), rebound and lockout. Not too expensive, very stiff, hard to bottom out.

not good for a heavy rider; does not corner well

This was meant to be my beater bike, then after riding it more and more, I wish that I had spent more money on the front shocks. It works well for what I had orignally planned for it to do (beat) but I do not feel confident riding it where tight cornering is required. With the lockout off, it bounces a lot and when making a sharp turn the compression releases and gives a jolt to the handle bar.

Similar Products Used: Manitou Shermans, Fox Float RC
dave   [May 01, 2007]
Strength:

price, performance

cheap travel adj knob

nice fork however the travel adj knob stripped after a few months has been on back order for over a month now, for crying out loud I would have paid an extra 20 bucks for the aluminium knob....poor R+D they should give me one for free.

Grant Brueshaber   Weekend Warrior [Jan 23, 2006]
Strength:

Stiff, strong, easy single air adjustment. Fairly light for 32mm and for it's strength.

none for me, but a buddy of mine snapped the arch. Rock Shox took care of it, but a little bit of a hassle.

This fork is a great value. It can take a beating. I've taken it off 10'+ drops and never had a problem with it. Buy this fork if you want a strong, fairly light fork for urban or freeriding. Email me if you have any questions. I work at a shop, so I know my stuff pretty well.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox Psylo, Manitou Skareb Super, Marzocchi Z3 Air 100
Oliver H   Weekend Warrior [Nov 01, 2006]
Strength:

rating is for the 351 coil spring fork!
good value, satisfactory factory damping setup, the rebound dial actually works (ranges from quick rebound to very slow), pop loc is great when accelerating B.O.B. trailers, robust

could not find an ideal location to put pop loc lever, length of the fork at 85mm setting is identical to RS Judy 2002 set at 100mm travel!

I'd recommend this fork to anyone who is upgrading from an existing older fork. The Recon offers more adjustable travel than my previous forks. I put it on my bike on Christmas, spent a week on the Gran Canaria island a month later, riding the rugged trails there, and came back completely happy. It is possible to blow through the travel, though!

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox Judy SL (2002), Girvin Vector 2
Grant Brueshaber   Weekend Warrior [Apr 28, 2006]
Strength:

strong at first, but then breaks. after rebuilt, strong again until it breaks again.

the solo air cartrige likes to separate when you try to hop over things.

this is an update to an earlier post by me. the fork is probably great for cross-country and maybe even light freeriding. if you like to bunny-hop or manual or do anything that involves pulling up on the front end, don't get this fork. i loved it at first, but after riding it for a while longer, it sucks for the type of riding that i do on it. NOT A GOOD URBAN/DIRTJUMPING FORK!!!!

Mike   Weekend Warrior [Jun 01, 2006]
Strength:

U-turn travel adjustment, Motion Control suspension damping, beefy 32mm aluminum stanchions, lightweight hollow aluminum crown.

Would be nice if steer tube was aluminum instead of steel.

This rating is for the "U-Turn" spring-oil version. I didn't really care for the solo-air and couldn't afford the dual-air, so I tried the Recon U-Turn on advise from my LBS and couldn't be happier. The shock is very easy to use and adjust, is very smooth in it's travel and stiff enough that it doesn't bottom out with the riding that I do. Very nice XC/All Mountain Fork. I can't comment on the steering issues brought up by some concerning the solo-air version, but I can say that the spring-oil version steers true.