RockShox Reba Race 2006 Front Shocks

Reba Race

Reba's combination of ligth weight and stiffness make it the most versatile option for aggressive XC and lightweight All Mountain bikes.
Key features

-Motion Contol with external Floodgate
-Compatible with all PopLocs
-Dual Air

muzza   Weekend Warrior [Feb 05, 2009]
Strength:

Light. Durable. Set it & forget it. I ride a lot. Nothing has broken, leaked or failed in anyway. Kinda spooky.

I heard some of these adjust to up to 130 mm travel, but mine didn't.

Reba is best upgrade on the bike, and I meddled with everything. Reba made me faster, more comfy and offered precise control. Can't imagine life without Pop Loc. I rode without Pop Loc for a month, and WITH is hella better. I played with settings, but went back to what the bike shop dialled in. So good you forget they're there. Good value if you want to venture into advanced technical xc. I don't race, but the weight looks highly competitive for the price point.

Similar Products Used: Tora, and obsolete others.
ovaries11   Cross Country Rider [Jul 07, 2008]

Motion Control Unit seals went, leaked within 6 months, shop said they arent normal shaped seals so you have to buy this pissy part for $100! Know two other people this has happened to, and the shop said it is a design fault and Rock Shox are taking a hammering on returns!

A good fork, light, responsive, though the seals are obviously rubbish and something they need to fix

Kirk Denetclaw   Cross Country Rider [Jan 22, 2007]
Strength:

Price!!! 32mm stanchions. Stiff fork. Marzocchi Marathon and Fox F series were both over $600.00

Recommendations for air pressure are high. Need to drop 20-40 psi lower than recommended.

Great fork for the money. I view this fork on the lines of the Marzocchi and Fox series forks. Adjustability is great. Had to play with fork pressures and rebound adjustment to get a plush ride. Use the manual and adjust all features. Use the rebound adjustment to limit shoot back from fork.

Similar Products Used: Manitou SX-R, Rock Shox Judy XC & Duke SL, Marzocchi X-Fly 80 & Atom Bomb
Simon   [Oct 05, 2005]
Strength:

Weight, Price, Stiffness, Motion Control.

None found (only tested on Australia Giant Trance 2)

NB: this Reba does not have a Carbon crown/steerer as stated in the description! It uses butted Aluminium.

THe fork performs to the same level as those seen in 2005. It is plush, very light and stiff. The Motion Control feature is great. I found myself using it quite frequently- until now I was unsure about a "lock out" feature. Unfortunately (IMO), RS have only made the Reba adjustable from 85-100mm this year (previously up to 115mm). For my style of riding this is not enough. However I plan to purchase the Trance 2, then swap over my Fox forks, in which the Reba's will be home on my commuter/XC racer hard tail. Overall though, it's a great fork that performs well, and priced extrememly well.

Similar Products Used: Own/ed: Fox Vanilla 125R, Marzocchi EXR Pro Air, Manitou Avel Elite.
Bryan   Weekend Warrior [Jun 15, 2007]
Strength:

weight (3.5 pounds), adjustability (positive & negative air chambers, rebound, compression, poploc)

none so far

I wish I would have upgraded forks sooner. I had a very reliable Marzocchi that had served me for many years and was skeptical of all the newer features. This fork was a dramatic upgrade. The front end is much more responsive and less harsh to small bump forces but still has excellent dampening for those larger hits. I also feel this fork has improved cornering because the tire seems to stay glued to the ground better. As with any air fork, I was concerned about loss of air or bleeding of air into either of the chambers. This has not been a problem to this point. The remote lockout works great which improved climbing and the floodgate works as it is supposed. Travel adjustment can be achieved by adjusting spacers internally which I find beneficial. I would recommend this fork for those who ride cross country without any reservations.

Similar Products Used: 2002 marzocchi MXR air
Lance   Cross Country Rider [Jun 04, 2007]
Strength:

cost, however, factor in the price of not being able use this fork when it is in the shop and/or being shipped back and forth to Rock Shox.

Air leaks from positive chamber into the negative chamber, leaving the fork compressed.

Do yourself a favor and buy something else (i.e. Fox), unless you have a back-up you don't mind riding.

Similar Products Used: Fox
trekin fool   Cross Country Rider [Jan 30, 2006]
Strength:

Of course every good xc fork should have lockout and this one does. This shock stands out due to the remote lockout (pop lock) and the motion control when the fork is locked out which will give you some compression (sweet). This rock shock has impressed me very much due to value, options, looks, and functionality.

I agree with the other guy. Pay no attention to the suggested pressure ratings. I almost got the crap beat out of me on down hills on my first ride.

The remote tension (compression) knob on the pop lock can be a bit touchy. I just quit fooling with it.

Great fork for the value and even if it were to be a bit more exspensive it would be worth it. I've also had a rough relationship with Rock Shock and so far this '06 Reba Race has done a lot of making up from where I stand. It's actually 4 inches you can brag about.

(By the way, don't let my overall rating of 4 chilis be discouraging. I've never given an overall of 5.)

Similar Products Used: Rock Shock Psylo and Duke
Ben   Cross Country Rider [Apr 16, 2007]
Strength:

Adjustability, stiffness and lightweight

Nice plush and super adjustable fork. Rivals Fox's best. Dial in your setting and go ride. Highly recommended.

Similar Products Used: Fox Vanilla, F100
Adam   Weekend Warrior [Apr 03, 2007]
Strength:

Stiffness, lockout, adjustability, ease of use, versatility, durability (all metal construction)

weight, will scratch (and peel decals) on trail.

This is an update of my previous review. I have used this fork at least twice a week around town for about six months now. I love it so, so very much. I have used it on the trail a few times and it worked great. When it is locked out I can stand on the pedals and really pedal hard without any bob whatsoever (and I weigh about 185 lbs). Even when it is not locked out it is very stiff yet compliant. This is a great product.

Similar Products Used: none, rigid all my life.
Adam   Weekend Warrior [Dec 19, 2006]
Strength:

Quality, rigidity, adjustability, durability, lack of pedal bob.

Price (everything's relative though, weight (again relative).

I had serious reservations about switching to a suspension fork, as I have ridden rigid my whole life. I got the Reba because I am a big guy (190 lbs), and I wanted a fork that wasn't going to bob. I could not be happier with the Reba. Though it weighs more than my frame, it is worth it. This is a solid fork, no plastic anywhere (except the poplock remote). Even without locking the fork out it exhibits minimal bob. It is totally predictable and has no flex. The remote lockout is super intuitive and eliminates 99.99999% of all fork movement (though it was tough to fit it on my azonic cf-1 bars with an m750 dual shifter/brake unit). I have yet to bottom the fork out, and wonder if it is even possible to do so. Plus it looks awesome. For someone who is used to a rigid fork, this one is for you.