RockShox J3 2006 Front Shocks

• Damping: TurnKey Lockout
  • Crown: Forged 6061 T-6 aluminum

[Jul 13, 2017]
Darius Sequeira

Strength:

Style Points, Better than a rigid fork, Lockout is useful, adjusters are good for tuning

Stiff asf, preload is hard to turn until i move it to the middle

It does its job, it absorbs hits, but when it hits small ones, you can really feel the hit, and on large ones it feels like it locks at 75% travel. The seals are dirty and when I flush the seals the oil is really dirty, but i got it second hand. It came stock on my GT Avalanche 1.0 2006. The bike feels great but probably because I had a crap rigid frame retro Raleigh CRO-MO 21.

[Oct 24, 2009]
MKor

Strength:

Adjustments, strong fork, not flexy came with bike

Weight, doesn't work very well when cold. Not very smooth.

Overall, this shock has been okay, I've used it on some pretty rough terrain and it's held up pretty well. It gets stiff pretty quickly when the weather cools down, and isn't all that smooth. This shock is pretty much exactly the same as the new Dart 2-3. Get it if you are going to do mild off road, or on road. If your going to do a lot of biking the weight is going to be tiring.

Rockshox Judy TT

[Jan 25, 2007]
lone rider

Strength:

Adjustability

Failed twice in 8 months

I posted here in May about them losing damping ability. The were fixed under warranty really fast and continued to work for a while after that. Now they've messed up again though they've hardly done many miles since and have been used only for the occassional potter around the countryside, no jumping/etc. The lockout function doesn't work anymore regardless of lever position and they now lock out when they feel like it. When they do lock out on their own and I depress them one of the wipers *pops* up the stanction and spits oil about the place. They don't seem to have much travel anymore either... *sigh*.

Rock Shox Mag 21

[Jun 04, 2007]
Lyndon

Strength:

Rebound adjust.
Preload adjust.
Lockout.
Quick Single Track.

Spring stiffness.
Travel length.
Compression on slow rides, small bumps.

This fork came with the bike. So far I rode to work for one winter with the bike. Since the end of winter I've continued riding to work and have gone trail riding about 4 times 4hrs each time.
I weigh around 240lbs and it does flex when cutting side to side because I hear the rotor ping against the pads when doing so. Like others have said the fork doesn't seem to soak up the little stuff, especially at slower speeds.
The springs are whatever comes in them by default and are too stiff. To get full travel I have to get over the handle bars and throw all my weight up and down compressing the fork over and over till it loosens up a bit, not that this would help while riding.
I set the sag as per directions and my rebound adjust is in the middle of the range. It works great on fast single track, soaking up roots and rocks. The lockout really saves me when riding to and from the trail up and down paved roads.
Took a hard fast hit into a big root and got worried after hearing the noise it made but its still holding up and no oil leaks.
If you can get a great deal on this fork its good for its intended use and I would say buy it. If I was shopping retail I would not buy this fork though.

[Mar 29, 2007]
B P

Strength:

Does exactly what meant to. Absorbs the bumps. Good adjustmant. Easily takes the odd drop off or more regular crash. Very smooth

nothing other than Shiny silver stanchions

Can't be beaten for price but don't buy if ur fat and do lots of jumps. Its a bloody xc fork.

Judy XC Manitou Stance Fox Talas

[May 17, 2007]
Chris Higgins

Strength:

Does its job

The locout and rebound doesnt work

Good forks shame about the lockout and rebound

SR Suntour

[May 15, 2007]
james gunter

Strength:

Great options for fine tuning to fit my needs (at first)

everything. forks crapped out after 1 year of mostly highway riding. no big jumps or anything!

obviously they had to put a cheap fork on a relatively nice bike. I kept thinking when I bought the bike, why is this such a good deal? now I know.

manitou 6 ( had 2 years & no problems)

[Sep 25, 2006]
Peter Knight

Strength:

Lockout, travel, looks.

None.

This is a great fork for the money. I paied around £90 and it soaks up the hits on the trail without any probs and then thwack the lockout on and it does the climbs without any complaints.

The guy that said there was movement in the legs - maybe there is a little - but it's barely noticable and i've never had any probs.

The guy who was trying to use it for 5ft drops is abusing the fork - it's not a DH/jump fork.

Marzocchi bomber air equiv, rockshox Pike 426, suntour equiv.

[Aug 25, 2006]
Joe Kim

Strength:

Lockout is nice. Seems to soak up any hits I take. Mounts both V and Disc.

Preload doesn't seem to do much. What the heck does the rebound thing on the bottom do?

I only weigh 140 lbs so it seems to take anything that I throw at it. Not that I ride all that hard, but it gets the job done. Lockout doesn't lock-out the fork entirely, but enough to keep you from bobbing when slugging it out uphill. Great Beginners XC fork. Only 4/4 'cause it's not an air-fork :)

RockShox JeTT, Marzocchi Mx Comp

[Oct 16, 2006]
DJ Ponte

Strength:

Hard spring and good for dirt jumping130mm

you don't get the full 130mm of tracel becuase the fork is too hard even with the softest sprinng in

too hard for a freerider or xc rider because it doesnt respond to little bump or jumps well
ok DJ fork