Marzocchi All Mountain I 2006 Front Shocks

AM is between XC & FR therefore not intended for drops, jumps, and gaps. Intended for aggressive XC riding.

plibicki   Cross Country Rider [Jan 13, 2011]
Strength:

Tunability, durability, damping range good for allmountain riding, ETA, black M shaped arch...

Useless TST knob on top of right leg, travel adjust knob fell off from the bottom of the left leg, rebound knob still hanging on...

It looks GOOD ;] makes me enjoy downhill sections more.
One might complain that it has the TST closed damping cartridge with the strange rubber bladder but it still gets the job done. The TST compression settings are a bit of an enigma because of the useless knob though. And you have to get used to a clunking noise when your riding slow and over e.g. some rocks. Point the bike down and go faster and you will not care about the noise anymore ;)
ETA - works fine and helps a lot on steep climbs. Don't know why they ditched it...
Travel adjust - you need it only once and it is to go full 150mm.
Oil change is a blast, but don't trust the Marzocchi oil level chart. Use 50cc for right damper leg (the one with the strange bladder part) but only around 160cc for the left leg to make the fork feel closer to a true Bomber - remembering that the air assist adds progressiveness. Using more than 165cc will prevent the fork from reaching full travel.

Similar Products Used: RockShox Tora 318, Spinner Enduro, Manitou R7, RockShox SID '06, Marzocchi MX Pro ETA, Marzocchi Z5 air
kshizel   Cross Country Rider [Oct 20, 2009]
Strength:

It appears very strong. I'm 210lbs and this thing takes my aggressive riding and frequent drops (3ft++) without problems.

Wish it came with a remote, it is slightly cumbersome switching the TST and ETA as much as I'd like too.

This shock changed my life. It came with the bike which I bought from a friend and the Marzocchi All Mountain 1 has been the only part of the bike in the 2+ years I've been riding it that has not broken or given me any trouble, with the exception that the rebound adjustment screws on the bottom which fell off over the duration. It also put up with the past owners abuse, he said he paid about $600 for it new.

Ross Macaskill   Cross Country Rider [Aug 06, 2007]
Strength:

Adjustability, smooothness, TAS

Other than crappy decals, none!

So far no worries with any noises or leaks. The adjustability works well for me. My Orange Sub5 recommends a 125mm MAX fork length so the TSA came in handy although the fork didn't go down to the advertised 125mm but an extra 5mm hasn't noticable affected things. The TST is also great as I commute 15+ miles every day (50% road 50% smooth trail) and then usually go to some local trails or do some of the West Highland Way most weekends and it's coped fine with everything so far. I picked up a small stone chip in the right leg 2 months ago when I crashed but so far it's held the air in. Very smooth action that inspires loads of confidence. The only downsides would be 1)crappy decals as the stickers are already peeling and 2)the sharp brake dive but in saying that I am running M4's on 200mm disks so I can't grumble.

Similar Products Used: Manitou x-vert.
jaco   Cross Country Rider [Feb 26, 2006]
Strength:

plush 6 " outta da box, easy adjustability, great looking black sliders and black machined lowers, good pricepoint

this is definately the fork for the 575. the talas 130 is good but its not up to par w/the aggro riding the 575 allows, specially since its limited to 130. also, the 1 click marz eta function is way easier in reducing height for steep climbs than the multiple click talas function, which i was really getting tired of since i use it all the time. sell your XC fox if your riding is more aggro and get this or the Z1 if you freeride

Similar Products Used: talas 130
All Mountain   Weekend Warrior [Nov 19, 2006]
Strength:

Very plush. Nice tall fork with a good stiff crown. Great stiffness for a QR fork, with reasonable low speed compression damping. Tracks well through the rocks and doesn't skip a beat.

A lever on the TST dial would be nice, and would make it easier to turn with gloves on.

I'd recommend this fork for riders who like to ride the trails on the aggressive side. As it's QR, not a fork for one who likes to get in air time. If you like coil plushness and going down, then consider this fork.

Similar Products Used: RS Revelation
Super-Clyde   Weekend Warrior [Nov 11, 2006]
Strength:

Pretty stiff for a QR fork. 150mm of usable travel. ETA minimizes the need for compromise between climbing geometry and descending geometry. Air/coil is a good combo that greatly diminishes the possible need for a stiffer coil spring. Lots of tuning options. Aesthetically pleasing.

Some degree of brake dive depending on how much air preload you are willing to live with.

My new favorite fork. I have always read and heard that Marzocchi and plushness are synonomous and now I know why. This is one bump eating mofo which makes it easier to carry speed over rough spots in the trail.

With 150mm of travel, this is the first fork I've had that I did not miss the travel I had given away to sag. In fact, you can actually feel the benefit when the wheel stays in contact with the trail over potholes, ruts, dips, etc.

They have a remote available for the TST ( 5 position preset damping control and one is compression lockout), but I'd rather have one for the ETA. I probably won't cough up the $105 for the remote as it just isn't that important to my riding style and I only see myself ever using two, maybe three of the settings.

But Marz didn't just build these for me, so I don't mind that there are some features that I won't likely take advantage of. I see it as being very versatile if you choose to do some fiddling. I'll find my own preferred settings and then leave it except for the ETA which I'll use frequently.

The only thing I can't comment on is durability. If this thing holds up, I'll be sold on the brand. Great match for the Giant Reign frames that so many are choosing to buy and build themselves.

For the price I paid, I have to give up 5 and 5.

Similar Products Used: Manitou Minute 1:00, Cannondale Headshock
Christoph   Weekend Warrior [Nov 08, 2006]
Strength:

Plush, predictable travel. eats up the trail. ETA=nice feature for steep climbs. Stiff. TST, I use it mostly on all mountain (middle positiion).

TST knob is a bit fudgy to work, sometimes stick.

Very good fork. TST should come with lever. If rear shock is up to the fork (150 mm of travel)there is no sweeter ride!

Similar Products Used: Fox talas
Paul Gilbert   Weekend Warrior [Apr 03, 2007]
Strength:

Looks, durability, functions, easy settings, provides suspension when needed.

Hmmm.... hmmm... none so far

Just read the manual to set your specific needs, provides the suspension when needed. Looks cool and tough at any given terrain, durable cause most of my forks are made by Marzocchi never had some problems with them. Easy to maintain... really a great value for your money.

Similar Products Used: marzocchi bomber z1, fox vanilla RLC, rockshox revelation.
Sam   Downhiller [Nov 01, 2006]
Strength:

Loads of plush travel, ETA is really useful for going up (as they are long forks and its better that faffing with the Fox or RockShox version). TST (although it stays on DH mode most of the time), Stiff for a long travel QR fork - there's no rotor rub round corners etc. The price is awesome as well - £320 for CRC....can't complain at that. I like the adjustable travel (although don't use it!) as if I could be bothered, I could shorted the travel.

My fork/hub combo is a pain with the post mount (using a Hope XC front hub) and I've had to file the caliper holes to enlarge them so that I can get the caliper across enough to stop id rubbing on the rotor. I've also for a knock when the fork rebounds, it sounds like its topping out, but its not. I haven't had it sorted yet as I don't wnat to not be riding (I'll wait till the weather is real grim) and I only paid £320 for them.

Reducing the travel is a pain as you need to let all of the air out and then pump it back up.

Fantastic forks - super plush and seem to take everything that you through at them (I've been jumping with mine and they hacen't complained yet). The price was what attarcted me to them combined with various features, some of which are good, others not so!

I like Marzocchis, I like the way they feel (don't like RS, they always feel a bit 'wooden' and dead) and understand how they work internally so can strip them etc. The knock when rebounding to full travel is a bit irratating - if I'd paid £500 for then I'd be savage. But for now I'll live with it!

Similar Products Used: Various forms of Z1's (from the very first to the latest!), Fox Vanillas (the 07 Vanilla R's just lost out to these!). Manitou Blacks (hopeless!) etc.
Ed   Cross Country Rider [Sep 22, 2006]
Strength:

Adjustability, ETA slam down for climbing, performance. TST used fully and partially open works well.
This fork suites aggressive cross country riders who are looking for a long term servicable fork.

Durability of certain parts: Air seal failure, TAS & Rebound adjusters fell off and I was charged for replacements under garuntee. Product support(Windwave)is very weak - took over 2 months to get air seal replaced. Disconcerting knock from re-bound every time I hit a bump the size of a tree root or bigger. Cannot get full travel easily irrespective of using low air pressure. Product Weight = cuase they use durable components?? Need to buy a low pressure shock pump.

This is a 10 month follow up report.
I am (was) a big fan of Marzocchi forks for their legendry reliability / serviceability / performance, but I have to say that my experience has marred my opinion over the past months of use. Having said this now I have got most of the issues above sorted it is working very well and is very compliant.

I am unwilling to loose my forks for another 8 weeks to sort out the noise made from the rebound even under garunttee(see AM1 reviews 2005 made by others), and as I do not believe this is a critical fault I guess I will have to live with this. Furthermore, I am not encouraged by others expreience with dealing with Marz.

I have not seen many other forks with a similar slam down fork height adustment the same as the ETA, which is needed -as it is a tall fork and was one of the main reasons for buying this - but my MX comp beats this fork on value, durability etc.

If (when) the ETA breaks I will re consider my opinion.

This is not one of Marzocchis best forks, neither is is worse than some other products out there - just over priced and with lousy support service.
If you can get one for half the retail price then I think it is a good deal - nuff said.