Manitou R7 2006 Front Shocks

Manitou R7 2006 Front Shocks

[Feb 10, 2011]
psfaraujo

Strength:

As everybody said, it's a quite good fork. I can't compare it with top level forks, like Fox RL or Sid Wc because I'd never used it, but it's certainly much better than other forks with almost the same price (in Brazil), like RS Tora or RST F1rst. The fork works quite well, absorbing everything, and giving a very smooth ride even in very hard trails. Very good fork for it's price... certainly a very good acquisition.

None whatsoever.

The User's Manual says that in the first 20 hours of using the fork may look a little hard, then, after this period, the fork will work smoother.My fork is calibrated with factory's preset of 80 psi, which is almost the minimum reccomended pressure (min=75 psi). The fork is working very well, though; so I think maybe I'll have to re-calibrate it with some mor air after the so called 20 hours.

Tora SL,

[Oct 30, 2010]
BRando

Strength:

The 2011 Manitou r7 100mm Pro is an awesome fork. It absorbs bumps and roll over them confidently. The fork in my opinion is as good or if not better than Fox cross country forks. The 7 switch ABS works really well and is different at every switch. Its amazing how rigid the fork can be when you need it to be. Steering is pretty neat. The damper works really nicely. Every adjustment is different. The fork is very light too. Have no regrets buying this fork. Im sure it compares to the Rockshox SID and Fox F-100. If not better!

Used the fork only once but have tested it quite a lot already. The only weakness so far which may not really be one is that when braking hard, the fork bends forward and backward depending on which way you push the fork against. But im really particular.

The 2011 Manitou r7 fork is really good. Not just because its my new fork, but you really cannot find a better/lighter/effective fork for its price. Its a God sent!

My previous fork before this one was a Rockshox Tora. Really badly made fork indeed. But I've tried several Fox forks so i know the comparisons.

[Feb 25, 2010]
raducanmihai

Strength:

Light,stiff,nice painting/decal

None so far

I just fiished building up my bike ,so I'll update my review in 1 month or so,but for now,this is it : excellent fork (huge upgrade from my RST Gila) ,very light (1545 gr/3.4 lbs with uncut steerer,probably less than 1500 gr/3.3 lbs after I cut it),stiff.
What not to do : I weigh around 90 kg/200 lbs so the instructions say that I should put 100-110 psi of air pressure in it. I did so (110) and the sag was 15mm (15%). I wanted a little more sag and I pushed with my finger on top of the valve. In less than 1 sec all the air inside was gone ,and I had to travel with my car to the LBS to reinflate it. If you don't have a special shock pump don't mess with it ,otherwise you'll end up as I did : a fork with no air .
It is still not broke in (it takes aound 20 hrs),but even so ,it is an impressive fork.
I definitely recomand you to buy it.

PS: I'll be back after I brake it in

RST Gila 100 mm

[Aug 27, 2009]
hoobuba

Strength:

anything you need from XC fork - stiff, smooth with adjustable response to any XC trail and condition

none so far
the rebound adjustment on the bottom of the leg is in danger to be damaged if you set the bike on the ground without front wheel - keep that in mind ... :-)

I am riding/testing R7 for more than a month now as a replacement for retired Skareb Super. This fork is an excellent companion on Mrazek hard tail. It is quite stiff yet smooth and completes Mrazek's great hard tail design.
The absolute system actually works also in between the Lock/Open positions and allows to quickly adjust the compression for riding condition - three clicks and the fork will not slow you down on the climb even out of the saddle.

Manitou Skareb Super, RockShox SID Race, FOX Talas

[Jan 18, 2009]
AndrwSwitch

Strength:

Light, stiff, follows terrain well, platform thing works well, short axle-crown distance (I'm not that tall and earn all my descents.)

The seals on the air spring side aren't that great. The air spring side seems a little funny in how it interfaces with my shock pump. Not much travel (I have the 80mm version.) The finish sucks.

I have the Platinum model, with the SPV feature. I got this fork because I thought I'd be happier with something lighter and that traveled better than the Suntour thing that came on the bike. It made the bike much more fun to ride. I read about it a bunch on here, and ended up setting up the fork with 75 pounds in the SPV chamber (I weigh 145) which is a little more than Manitou's suggested 50% of rider weight and 65 pounds in the air spring chamber. The boards here suggest running 10psi less in the air spring.

With those settings, I don't notice any pedal bob when I'm sitting on the saddle and climbing. If I stand and I use the handlebars to counter my pedaling motion, it's still very solid. However, when it takes a hit it moves freely too.

The big surprise, for me, was how much stiffer than my previous forks it was. I find that it's much better at keeping my front wheel tracking straight when I hit something at an odd angle, so it's a lot easier for me to just roll over things. It also has a really nice, floaty feeling on rough terrain like water bars, ladder bridges, rooty sections of singletrack, etc. I've inflicted small drops and a little dirt jumping on it, and that may having something to do with the next paragraph.

I don't know how long the seals in an air fork should last or what the previous owner did to this one, but I did have to have it rebuilt once in the time I've owned it. That was a bummer. It started bottoming a lot and then dumped oil all over my brake disc. Also, for some reason, when I attach my shock pump to the air spring side it always reads as zero pressure. I know that's not accurate, but it's disconcerting. The SPV side doesn't do that.

Like a lot of reviewers have said, the stickers and the paint start looking pretty crappy pretty quickly.

Cross-country riders and racers will like this fork. If you want a fork that soaks up big hits for you, you're probably not reading this review anyway.

RockShox Dart from 2000, Suntour garbage, rigid forks

[Jan 11, 2009]
met

Strength:

Good in all areas for XC.

80mm could use more travel.

A great fork!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its worth getting, good for XC, good for the weekend warrior, good for racing, good for just messing around with friends, but its not so good for huge jumps or DH, it doesnt have enough travel, plus its a lightweight fork, it does what its meant for very very well.

5 stars.

[Sep 23, 2008]
Boonducks

Strength:

When it works it's very light, stiff and strong. I've only ever used Manitou forks and find the R7MRD probably the best of the bunch. I train and race the fork and the lightness it brings to the front end of my bike is really good on the climbs and for lifting over steps etc.

I'm now on my 3rd fork, all of them have had the same problem - the oil becomes infused with air (cavitation?) and the fork becomes more and more hard, finally losing travel completely.The agents here have been fantastic, trying to fix it and then changing it with no quibbles but obviously it's disappointing. It must be a design fault. Any others out there that it's happening to?

Great fork, love it -when it's working

All Manitou including SX, Mars and Minute2

[Jul 04, 2008]
dropedz29

Strength:

Sleek lines, Smooth travel, lightweight!! Super stiff ---it tracks very well, shock absorbtion suprising with medium rocks though not so with little stuff.

haven't found yet

great forks and great rides, and light. its great for those who wanting to shed weight and would recommend. ---if you want a light weight, stiff, preformance, stable fork, Manitou R7 won't disappoint you!

ROCK SHOX SID-SL with remote lockout.

[Jun 03, 2008]
Eric

Strength:

This is for the 100mm Elite model with no lockout. Fork is nice and strong, but plush at the same time. I've done some 3-4' drops and never bottomed out, and on the same trail rode hard single-track and not shaken my teeth out of my head. This fork is not even in the same category as my last fork, a Suntour. I know some people complain about it not having a lockout, but I can't see any reason to have a lockout in the 1st place. There is essentially no bob on the uphills, and fantastic bump/rut/rock absorption on the single-track. Price was incredible, as I got the last one on closeout at Performance for half price.

Lame stickers are peeling off. No big deal.

This is a really nice fork with no problems. Great bump absorbtion (single-track), great high impact resistance (3-4' drops) without having to change pressures or settings. Would buy again, and do often recommend to friends. Probably not a DH fork, but then it's not listed as such.

Fox float, Suntour junk. I'll NEVER own a Suntour again.

[Apr 06, 2006]
Papa Ganoosh
Downhiller

Strength:

Stiff, smooth, light.

Nit-picking, but the graphics. I would rather have paint than the decals. Not a big deal. I also have to fully remove the front axle, the dropouts don't let you just pull the front wheel out like normal.

Wow. This is possibly the best fork I have ever mounted on a short-travel bike. Very light, which is always a plus, but the best reason to buy this fork is the ride. The lowers and crown account for a surprisingly stiff fork, which helps to rail corners and hold a line in tech sections. When climbing and sprinting it feels completely rigid, when combined with the Brain on my Epic, I have a bike that accellerates insanely fast, and hammers on an XC trail...very fast and easy to keep speed. With 100mm of travel, it is also robust enough to handle all but the most technical of trails. On a recent trip to Moab, it shined even on the gnarliest of fast, rough sections. It felt bottomless and ate everything up just like a good fork should. Easy to set up, I experienced none of the clanking noise that others have complained of when the SPV is activated. Giving it a 5 on value because I got such a good deal, and 5 overall because it really is a superb fork.