Manitou Nixon Platinum Intrinsic 2006 Front Shocks

• Open-bath lubrication system

[Mar 15, 2010]
aceospades1250
Downhiller

Strength:

Worked well when I first got it second hand, soaked up hits very well. IT is great when its working. Light weight. 9mm QR on a fork this size is hard to find since Fox switched to the 15mm "standard".

Pretty much everything started crapping out on me 6 months after I mounted it. It started with the fork topping out hard. Then one day the seals in the air spring leg decided to blow out and spray oil all over the place. Also not very stiff at all, probably because of the 9mm QR.

To be fair, for the first 4-5 months that I had this fork, it worked Great. Soaked up any hits I threw at it with no problems, though its not very good for small bumps compared to a coil fork.

At around the 6 month mark is when it went downhill. First off, the IT system is a great concept and easy to use. However it is unreliable. I blew the seals on it twice within 2 weeks. Air was escaping through the dust wipers and spraying oil everywhere. When the IT was fully extended the fork would top out very hard with a loud CLUNK. Adjusting rebound didn't help either. The Intrinsic damping literally does NOTHING. Took it in to the local bike shop for a full rebuild and the problems still came back a week later, and Manitou refused to stand behind its product. In the end I put the refunded rebuild money towards a RS Pike, and never looked back. Getting rid of this fork was the best thing I ever did for the bike. Don't even bother with Manipoo forks.

4 Chilis for value because I got it for super cheap, 1 chili overall for crappy quality and support, especially for a fork as expensive as this one (msrp).

Marzocchi MX Comp, Rock Shox Pike

[Nov 08, 2008]
shysor

Strength:

light, long travel, TI is amazing

mmm, hard to maintain by myself...

all mountain is my type of ride and that is what you get with this Platinum version. Love it for the easy way you set the length of travel to change, especially when climbing.
But it was expensive at the time.

just other forks, nothing compares

[Sep 08, 2007]
mike

Strength:

early on in the life of the fork responds well. Multi-ajustable-rebound&damping. Spv performs well.

After 1.5 years of use, but not abuse the fork is essentially done. It no longer is responsive, all the plush Great in the store but they cannot take any abuse,(fernie,rossland,vernon,k-country) They feel like s**t. No longer working

These forks are not worth it. Over time the seals go even when maintained. The fork looses it's plushy,squishy feeling no matter what the set up is. They may work for x-country but are not even close to an all mountain fork. SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Marazocchi bomber Z4;DJ1; Rock shock Reba and Judy; Manitou minute 3 and nixon platinum intrinsic.

[Mar 30, 2006]
Kaku Ito
Downhiller

Strength:

Light, right amount of durable construction for trail bike, suspension works very supple while Intrinsic cartridge takes care of the hard pedaling, relatively short under crown length, quick release thru axe, effective adjustments on each features, bottoming control.

No seperate adjustment for Intrinsic damping?? The damping adjustment also influence intrinsic damping?? Not sure for now, but the manual provides very limited information. Their website does not provide most current tech documents.

With Iron Horse's DW-link and 5th air, my rear is very firm under hard pedaling, not that supple maybe but sucks the necessary bumps when it is needed, but I had to either lock the front suspension for hard pedaling. Pike 454 Dual Air was the closest to what I wanted, being firm for pedaling and supple when it has to suck, but I could not get the fork adjusted to be perfect for me, either becomes too firm but nice for pedaling, or too supple so pedal bob was too much.
With Nixon Platinum Intrinsic, only using it for two days, alread tuned to have good enough platform damping while being very supple for even small bumps.
It does not seem to be able to make the platform damping strong (no adjustment?) and positive air to be kept low for more supple feel, but I will tweak that little more. Maybe oil selection might give me different feel, but even with very short period of time, I'm liking Nixon better than Pike. Nothing actually wrong with Pike but what I need, Nixon suits better.

RockShox Pike Dual Air, Pike 454 Dual Air, Marzocchi Z150FR SL, Foxforx Float RL

[Mar 20, 2006]
erling brabaek

Strength:

smooth reaction to all kind of bumps. This time also the small ones. Tuning capability

Took a while to get to this level of performance

I drove all last year with the 05 nixon. Had my share of problems with the fork. All the stuff that was writen about the fork happened to me. I hovever liked the relation ship with answer products. They hung in there as well NOT abandoming their customers. The new fork is a lot simpler built..Les to go wrong... and it acomplishes the same and then some. The IT, due to new design, doesnt drop by ITself anymore. The rebound damper is a carthridge design. No spv valves to lube every 300 miles. It it VERY user service friendly. Gone are the spv pressure adjustment. Say hi to intrinsic dampening. On the top right leg is a valve that controls what part of the stroke to dampen more. It turns 180 degrees so it can be done on the fly. I kind of use it like i use the propedal on my rp3.Works VERY WELL. It apeared that the 05 model had lots of pain. I can attest to that. I can not underscore how satisfied i am with this new fork. If you had a run in with last years model and turned sour, talk to your dealer. All new part from the 06 fits in the 05`s housing. I belive answer are willing to help. If you are new to the nixon,dont bother with the 05. Instead grap the 06 and run like you stole it. You will newer look back.

05 nixon

[Jun 18, 2007]
Chandler

Strength:

ease of operation (two knobs and one button, also one air valve, and thats it) intrinsic damping is super easy to use compared to other dampers, as i understand it.
qaulity of construction (all metal)
feel of the ride
looks
variablity of infinite travel adjust

with the fork itself, for its purpose, none that are apparent at the moment.

the manual could be more comprehensive. I got online and read about all the potential probs with mag lowers and post mount, so I was prepared to install my brakes properly. someone getting the fork who does not realize the potential dangers might well strip out the bolt holes, and ruin their day (and probably the next few days). the manual should have this in big red print on the very first page. i don't mean tossed in with the page full of small print 'waring' crap, but on a page all by itself in a massive, bright red font. i've read too many horror stories on these forums of stripped post mounts. also, the little IT handle was a PITA to figure out how to put together, and there are no specific instructions on how to assemle it and attach the wire properly. it took me more time to put the IT remote together than it took me to actually install the fork. There should be assembly diagrams for this for slow short bus type people like me.

the retail price is a bit high, but you get what you pay for, usually.

who should buy: anyone looking for a top-notch trail fork. this fork is great for anyone who wants a fork that is easy to operate and setup, looks nice, feels nice, and has enough variability to be used on many different terrains. because it is easy to operate and has such great variablity with IT, it is a great fork for people new to MTBing, as they get the feel of different travels on different terrains. at the moment, this exact fork, with QR dropouts, is onsale around the internet for at least $350, maybe a little lower. You can't beat that deal with a stick. if you go a looking, make sure you are getting the 2006 fork though (only one with black stanchions and crown, with silver lowers). avoid the '05, from what i hear.

Who shouldn't buy: anyone wanting a fork for a specific purpose. This fork is really too heavy for XC. It may be OK for all-mountian, but you would at least need it in 20mm thru-axle form.

this fork looks and feels so nice. mine is still new and breaking in, so it feels a little notchy at slow speed over small stuff, but i think it will become more supple as it breaks in. at higher speed or over rough terrian, the fork reacts and feels great. I want to, and am able to, ride all day on it. it feels more stiff than even my old rigid bonty switchblade (that sounds odd, but true). It reacts so good to the terrain that the bike handles much better and is much more surefooted. the damping is hard to adjust without getting the feel of it by doing alot of riding, and the rebound will almost throug you off the bike if its damp is set to low, but once dialed in this fork feels like magic. also, though not related to the ride, the construction looks so solid. the knobs are all metal, with bright metallic hot pink (damping) and blue (rebound), and feel perfect as you turn or click them. the schraeder valve even has a metal valve cover. the mag lowers are a bit weird, this is my first experience with a magnesium constructed durable item. magnesium doesn't really feel like metal, and when thumped has a sound more akin to plastic; mag never feels cold to the touch like metal. apparently though, mag is on par with titanium in strength to weight ratio, and is the lightest structural metal in existance.

for my ratings, I don't have anything to compare it too, so I have to give it a value rating based on what I paid. i've never ridden a $330 dollar fork though to know if this one feels 2.6 times as good. for overall rating, well, i just can't be happier. still i have nothing to compare it to, but i love it. so i must give this fork two full thumbs up.

none, this is my first suspension fork. my old fork was a rigid bonty switchblade. i guess compared to that, any suspension fork is going to feel like a million bucks. but this does feel really nice.

[Jan 20, 2007]
Tom Cosgrove

Strength:

Great adjustability, looks cool

Same old b/s as old nixons, they changed it to an oil bath system and I thought it would be more dependable... Wrong!!
After 3 rides the i/t would not stay down, the fork started topping out and the rebound worked intermitently!!!! Manitou sucks!!!!! Returned it for refund, thanks to Wayne and Jensons.

Manitou needs to do there homework and not experiment on there customers.

Fox 32,36 vanilla-rebound blew out, talas 35- great so far.
05 minute and nixons- junk requires to much maintanance, sent back 5 times!!!

[Dec 27, 2006]
trimmeri

Strength:

Travel adjustment, 9 mm optional axle, small-bump smoothness, and light in its class.

In hard hits it may suddenly bottom out but only frequently. Paint job on adjustments. Too much flex on stanchions. DOES NOT WORK WHEN STORED IN SUB-ZERO (Celsius) TEMPERATURES.

Yes, it's a nice allround fork in 5"-6" class and incredibly light. Yes, it has an infinite travel adjustment which works excellently. The fork works better in uphill than downhill.
Wait, what? Isn't it a lightweight trail fork that should help you through gnarly sections in downhill and punish on uphills? Well, yes. But the point is that it has noticeable flex on gnarly descents that does not inspire confidence. Additionally, in sharp spikes it may bottom out suddenly and throw the rider over the bars instantly. Like there is no damping at all! This happens only now and then, and no other fork has ever had such a feature so far.
If the Nixon Platinum IT is stored in winter outside, in freezing temperatures (even a mild -5 degrees celsius will do), you will lose any functionality in the fork. The travel adjustment fails, and when you pump the fork, it will eventually lose its travel until it rides in about 50mm position. It will fix itself though, but it has to be stored in a warm room.
If the fork is stored in warm storage and then ridden in cold, it works ok for at least so long that you can enjoy any ride no matter how long it is (propably under four hours in such cold temperatures anyway). I've ridden it in -12 degrees celsius and it worked ok.

All in all, there should be better progression in hard spikes and it should be able to deal with cold storage environment. Otherwise a perfect match for a long-legged trailbike which has to go uphill also. Which these flaws it's also too expensive.

Manitou Minute, Nixon with steel spring, RockShox Pike

[Apr 12, 2007]
Nir

Strength:

Stiff, Plush, Very reliable, IT, 20mm Hex, lightweight.

Non trusty QR TA, use 5mm Hex wrench instead of.

I put over 250 hours on this fork, at the first month I lost the rebound knob, one call to Manitou and I received a new one next day free of charge.
It recently start leak from the dust seals... one call... free of charge new seals. they even offered full rebuild under warranty but I didn't want to.
Cheer Manitou... best service.

Anything

[Sep 29, 2006]
Outriding

Strength:

IT - it's wicked for climbing - pull a wheelie and voila, you're back up to 145mm travel; enough adjustments to dial it in just right.

Stickers on the stanchions

Great fork - I had good luck with the Minute on an older bike, which kept me in the Manitou Family. The left stanchion sticker ripped off early on. The right stanchion sticker is coming off next time I ride (it's peeling on the leading edge). Cosmetic I know, but I emailed Manitou and told them my issue, asked if they wanted to send me some replacement stickers - and they never even replied! Nice service.

Fork handles big hits and my 220+ weight well - control it with airpressures and rebound and travel adjustments, and you're setup for a nice rig. I really like the IT adjustment - it makes my 6" (pardon?) climb right.

I'm knocking off a couple chilli's, because in this day and age, the manufacturer should respond to emails.

Minute, Judy