Manitou Black Platinum Lockout 2006 Front Shocks

• Casting: Magnesium RA
  • Crown: Forged Aluminum
  • Travel: 80mm, 100mm, or 120mm

Hank   Weekend Warrior [Jan 24, 2007]
Strength:

Adjustability, weight, stiffness, TPC damping.

None so far. Still in break in period.

Still breaking it in but so far, so good. I did a lot of research on MTBR in deciding on a new fork to upgrade the pogo stick that came with the bike. I know a lot of people don't like manitou products but hey, for a buck 99 it's worth a shot. Sooooo much smoother than the Splice. I've been able to clean logs, switchbacks, etc. that have given me problems in the past. Also, I'm a fairly big guy, 6'2, 215lbs but so far I haven't blown through the travel with the riding I've done with the Black (Buttermilk/ForestHill/Northbank loop). We'll see how it goes if I need to upgrade to a stiffer spring. 5 chilis for value, 4 overall (so far).

Similar Products Used: Manitou Splice (OEM)
Bob   Weekend Warrior [Dec 26, 2006]
Strength:

cost, responsive, adjustable spring rate (air) and damping (with lockout)

can not adjust travel

This fork replaced my old Manitou SRX and has given a new life to my old bike. It is much mor eplush and responsive. I float over small bumps and obstacles that used to rattle my teeth. I can go over larger logs now that the front absorbs the initial shock. The price at Nashbar certainly beats the $500 price of most new shocks on the market.

Similar Products Used: none
rob   [Feb 26, 2007]
Strength:

Light and stiff, lockout and rebound work great

none that I can find--yet

Tried/tested and true--one of the flagships of the Manitou line up. Everything works great, once I got it dialed in, very smooth predictable ride. light yet stiff. One thing to note is that having the right amount of oil is critical. Keep the fork lubed and clean and it will work great.

Similar Products Used: Fox f100/fox fx100
Damon Duehring   Weekend Warrior [May 10, 2007]
Strength:

Very smooth and strong.

It didn't come with weight-to-psi settings to set a bench mark, so it took a while to get it "dialed in" to where I wanted it.

This is an awesome fork. At first I thought it was too spongy, so I had to play with the settings quite a bit. But now that I've got it where I want, it's the best fork I've owned so far. I had wanted to buy another SID, but just didn't have the $$, so I thought I'd try out the Black. I'm glad I did. This fork is much more responsive than my Rock Shox forks (so far!).