Manitou Axel Platinum 2006 Front Shocks

• Casting: Magnesium RA
  • Steerer: 1 1/8" Aluminum
  • Axle: Standard QR

John   Cross Country Rider [Sep 03, 2007]
Strength:

Damping Lockout and a remote lockout option

Takes a while to break in. Notchy in compression and rebound during first few rides. Heavy!

These are i think specially ordered by Jamis for their 2006 Dakota Comp bike and not available as aftermarket forks. It has TPC damping with lockout and rebound damping on one side and an air spring on the other side. They are actually pretty okay for beginner riders. You just have to pump it a few times before riding to make sure the oil circulates, which makes the fork perform better. If not, it's way stiff and can't soak up small bumps on low or average speed. Huge bumps are ok, though but can't take successive big hits. Your entire head begins to move like your front tires on rocky downhill trail. Their online help suggested I need to break it in a couple more hundred miles before the bushing/stanchion and seal interfaces perform well.

Tinkered with the TPC damping over the weekend and realized that there was an allowance for the knob. Adjusted it slightly and 'cushiness' in small bumps improved a lot and lock-out feature still performed pretty well. I am a controlled rider, not the kamikaze type, and these forks are ok as beginner forks. I hope after the seals and bushings have been really broken-in, they perform better. Anyway, I'm saving up for a real fork, like a Fox Talas RLC, which costs way too much, but the Axel Platinum air 100 is fine for now.

I would say, this fork deserves 3.5 Chilis for my riding style. Too low for a 3 but too much for a 4. So 3.5 is what it gets for me for performance. 4 Chilis for value, though.

Similar Products Used: This is my first air sprung fork
Hugo   Cross Country Rider [Oct 08, 2006]
Strength:

Looks solid, feels solid

Very stiff, very little adjustibility

The bottom line is this fork sucks. I don't know why Manitou sells it? I am a light rider 67kgs agreed but this fork just doesn't take out the little bumps. I believe one should use bikes for what it's built for hence i have a Giant AC1 for downhill and this old GT Avalanche 3 for cross country/racing. I should think this fork should make my ride smoother but it doesn't. I should think it should ease the pain on fast downhills but it doesn't. It's not as if i am going to make any big jumps(is this what the fork is built to do?).

Bottom line: Don't buy this fork, yes it's cheap and I should have known probably, but still you'll do better with entry level Judy or something.

Similar Products Used: Manitou Six Super,Manitou Spyder, Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 3
James   Downhiller [May 14, 2007]

it is way to "hard" it bottoms out all the time when you have it to fit your weight. the adjustments are trash

i cant wait till i get new shocks this ones bottom out way to much and are so stiff. for what i do when i ride a bike (jumps and downhill) this shocks cant take it at all!

Similar Products Used: forget they where on a trek
Martin   Weekend Warrior [Mar 15, 2007]
Strength:

Looks pretty

Very stiff, little adjustability, lockout is garbage

I purchased a Jamis Durango 3.0 with this shock on it. I have to say that after riding with a Marzocchi shock for the last year, then going and riding with this shock was quite a difference. This shock is terrible. Stiff and the "adjustments" don't even do anything. It weighs a ton too. I got another fork because I couldn't stand this one (Marzocchi All Mountain 3 - '05) and its way lighter, actually soaks up the bumps, and has way more travel. Stay clear!

XC-rider   Cross Country Rider [Jul 15, 2006]
Strength:

Fairly ajustable, okay for the price.

5 lbs! plain coil shock (not air)Shock would stiffen up after long ride. A friends broke in half on the arc!

This fork came on my Scott Scale 50 and I considered it an okay fork until I started racing. one thing I noticed right off though was that after 30 - 45 min. of riding the travel would get stiffer and stiffer. Lock-out doesn't work as well and it should either. Also the thing is 5 lbs! I finally got fed up with it and after riding on someone else Fox F80 RLT once, I decided it was time to buy a new fork that would greatly increase my speed, and the weight of my bike. I ended up getting the '07 F80 RLC (3.25 lbs.)
(I'd give the new fork 5 flamin chilis all around but thats for a different review) Bottom line is that if you were planning on buying this fork DON'T! Save your money and get a better fork with an air shock.