Manitou Axel Elite 2006 Front Shocks

• Magnesium Reverse Arch casting
  • Black nitride-coated steel upper legs
  • Fluid Flow Damping (FFD)
  • Steel steerer

karelven   Cross Country Rider [Jan 18, 2009]
Strength:

Cheap, not to soft (with a coil upgrade), simple maintainance, strikes all the bumbs flat

soft with the normal coil, not very mutch options to set-up

Very nice fork for beginners and for advanced riders when you need a fork for in the mud

Similar Products Used: RS SID, Suntour crap, Manitou Skareb
nico   Cross Country Rider [Jun 20, 2008]
Strength:

it looks cool

not adjustable, heavy, to plush

if you have the money get a fox

Similar Products Used: something rockshoxs and fox f32 rlc
notarichbiker   Cross Country Rider [Aug 03, 2007]
Strength:

When it works, it really gives the spec 4 inches of travel. From my experience, it doesn't flex.

Even when properly lubed, it will start to freeze up after about an hour of riding. Once frozen, it only gives about 2 inches of travel. Heavy, but it's an entry-level fork, so no worries.

This fork came on my entry-level Trance 4, so I didn't expect much from it--you get what you pay for. I was happy to finally be riding a bike with more than 3 inches of suspension front and rear. Coming from an 80mm, super-sticky, Marz Z4, this Axel felt like a monster. And that's a good thing. When the fork is clean and lubed, it gives 4 inches of smooth travel. Plus, I've never had any problems with fork flex. My only beef is that once the stanchions get dirty, the fork will slightly freeze and travel seems to reduce to just over 2 inches. I can usually tell by the pain in my hands when my fork has reached this point during a ride. I'll see if a Lizard Skins fork boot will help.

Similar Products Used: Mid-range stuff from the late 90s from Marz, RockShox, and Manitou--nothing over 80mm travel
Mike Allen   Weekend Warrior [Jul 21, 2007]
Strength:

lightweight, decent seals

no real range of adjustment. lockout is weak. Easy to break, so prepare for warranty work.

I just bought this bike and took it down a pretty challenging xc trail with 3-4ft dropouts, downhill, babyhead singletrack and a few "make your own trail" areas. The rest of the bike was great, but this Manitou wouldn't adjust correctly. Poor rebound, bobbing when locked out on climbs, etc. Just totally misbehaving. Had it checked out after 1st ride and tech at Cycletopia in Corvallis, OR (hey Mike!) says it's toast. After 1 ride! I rode an old RS Judy for 4 years prior and no issues. Manitou has some serious quality/design issues on this product. Granted, I'm 210lbs and I ride hard, but the fork should've lasted longer than 1 ride before failing. NO adjustment now, no lockout, very stiff except on babyhead trail, then it locks up completely and beats you to death. Unless you stay on the sidewalk with your training wheels on, I'd avoid it. This fork is not meant to be ridden.

Similar Products Used: Rockshox Judy
Earl Haigh   Cross Country Rider [Jul 17, 2007]
Strength:

Came standard on 2006 Trek 6500 bike, looks good in black?

Leaked oil from day one, lockout broke in 3rd week and I only ride on black top, don’t figure?? 80mm travel, not a major issue for me as I ride on black top. Currently at LBS being repaired/replaced.

Came standard on bike, when repaired and if they last, they are fit for purpose as I ride mainly on black top to commute to work. LBS M1 Cycles very helpful, shop owner offered to lend me his personal bike while being fixed. Can only hope repairs or replacement last; I guess that’s what warranties are for.

Similar Products Used: Standard shocks on 7+ year old Avanti Ridge Rider
Matt   Weekend Warrior [Jun 23, 2007]
Strength:

This fork is very good for the price.

no problems yet, good xc trail fork

Not bad for an entry level fork. very servicable. some day I will upgrade but seems to work fine for me so far.

Phil   Weekend Warrior [Jun 22, 2007]
Strength:

They look nice all in black

They're rubbish. Travel - 50mm max. Adjustment has failed, no lockout either. On bumpy stuff, they're a waste of time 'cos they just don't move.

Don't waste your money!

Similar Products Used: marzocchi bombers
John   [Apr 16, 2007]
Strength:

I dont know

When I bought my Gary Fisher Pirahna, these shocks came broken. The manager at the store told me that they had seen alot of these shocks coming in broken.

I wasnt even able to test these out, they came broken when i got my bike..

Scott   Weekend Warrior [May 28, 2007]
Strength:

These came on my bike and are the 2007 model.
Lockout and compression adjustment.
I weigh 205lbs and haven't bottomed these out yet.

Forks are a little too stiff initially, but after setting sag at 3/4" and setting compression 3 clicks from the lightest setting they are doing the job. Still a little stiff though.

I WOULDN'T say this fork is junk at all. It's wayyyy better than the RST fork that I used before.
After making the adjustments above it does the job on the trail that I ride which has roots, roots and more roots and lots of rocks.
Over a series of roots at speed the shock does the best an entry level fork can do and lessons impact, but can't really smooth the ride out, hey it's an entry level.
I'm happy with the performance for what it is, but will upgrade to a better fork when this one breaks, cause this bike does definitely deserve a plusher fork.
I've ridden this fork fairly hard since purchasing the bike, I would say around 80 miles of roots and rocks and haven't had any other problems.