RockShox Reba Team 2005 Front Shocks

• Steerer Tube: Butted Aluminum
  • Recommended Rear Shock: Ario
  • Upgrade: Over Race: Hollow Crown

Badgerlurve   Cross Country Rider [Aug 08, 2009]
Strength:

they work...kind of, but thats about it

very difficult to set up, they never seem to suit my ride either too much/not enough air, too much,not enough rebound etc etc. The remoite lockout is useful for fire roads etc but the system has broken 3 times, and you cant free the oiuter cables to lube any of the cables...stupid!

save up and buy fox or pace (dt swiss)

Benjamin Go   Cross Country Rider [Feb 15, 2006]
Strength:

Light, tough, stiff, and poploc lockout is awesome allowing on the fly activation. The dual air chambers are great allowing for a really plush ride that's very tuneable.

None.

These are a great fork, even better considering the price. Very comparable to anything Fox puts out for less $$$. What more could you ask for. Early reviews have panned the Reba's for they're suspect air seals, I have not had any problems so far. Just an awesome plush ride on the full active setting and propedal efects using the compression adjustable pseudo lockout feature. I set mine up using the "20% rule" ie: body weight compresses the travel 20% of the total available, negative pressure at 20psi above positive and 5 click off zero compression for the lockout. Just a great fork - go get one.

Similar Products Used: Duke XC Air, Fox FRL, Fox Vanilla.
Dave   Cross Country Rider [Feb 04, 2006]
Strength:

Remote lock-out. Dual air.

Pop-loc control.

So far this fork has proven quite durable. Over 1700 miles and all I've done is clean the sliders, inject some Judy butter into the foam rings every few hundred miles and tweak the air to change the ride. The Pop-loc remote lock-out is a nice feature. Although the handlebar control is a bit weak. My has not broken yet, but on the bike I demoed it was. When the control is mounted where it is easily reachable, it also hangs out the back side of the bars. Talk about some intense pain when your rear tire slips and your knee comes up and whacks the poc-loc!

This fork has a lot of tuneability. Compression damping/motion control/lock-out, lock-out blow-off, dual air, rebound damping. It's a good fork for a hardtail or short travel XC bike. Not as light as some, but less expensive and probably a bit stiffer than the flyweights, for more precise steering. If you don't like to tweak your suspension, you might want to find a simpler fork to tune. That's alot of adjusting and tweaking for only 80mm of travel.

I'll give this fork 4 stars overall. It's not a Fox. And 5 stars for value. It is a couple hundred bucks less than a Fox.

Similar Products Used: Judy, Psylo, TALAS
andy   Weekend Warrior [Sep 07, 2006]
Strength:

very stiff, very tunable. Poplock works great with adjustable flood setting so it isn't a total harsh lockout. My favorite rides are more dampened than with the Duke Xc I ran before it. Inspires confidence. Nice looking too in silver.

A bit heavier than I had hoped for a 100mm fork. With the pop lock, weighted the same as the old Duke XC.

I am not the foremost authority on the new high tech forks, but I can say this is a noticeable upgrade from my Duke Xc. I wasn't about to spend $700 on a FOX, but was told by some hardcore mountain bikers this is very close to the FOX.
Great fork for cross country riders with 4 inch rear suspension bikes. I like the lack of annoying "bobbing" when set up right. I run 90/90 on pressure and weight 165 pounds.

Similar Products Used: Duke Xc-- lasted 3 years with no issues.
KC Mares   Cross Country Rider [Jul 21, 2006]
Strength:

29" size, thumb lever lockout is a great feature. Easy to use but does stick occassionally. Soaks up bumps smoothly but rebound is weak.

Very flexy--did I say Gumby? Not terribly responsive to bumps on the rebound.

It performs as a mid-level fork. Fairly responsive to bumps but flexy in technical terrain. A performer but not for the technical minded racers.

Similar Products Used: Other Rock Shox, Manitou and Fox forks.
Kirby C   Cross Country Rider [Oct 22, 2005]
Strength:

Very stiff and light. Tracks great. Excellent tuneability.

Excellent value and quality. If you are a heavier rider (i am 230-240) you will really appreciate the lateral stiffness and damping control. I am riding faster and with more confidence than ever before.

Similar Products Used: Manitou3 (92) and Manitou Axel Super (03)
Nathaniel   Weekend Warrior [Jan 10, 2006]
Strength:

*FOR REBA TEAM w/POPLOC AND U-TURN*
32mm stanchions
I got citrus yellow, wtf is up with black...bikes need a little color!
Dual Air, U-turn
Nice Box, I'm savin it till...well I like it.
rebound actually works
lockout/floodgate
And ahhh yes the remote.
Motion control is great...great,MUCH better than spv.

A tad flexy, and I'm 100lbs, my Manitou Black was a little stiffer.
Remote is hard to get on the bar
U-turn has to be turned 6 times to change travel 30mm.
Lockout could be stiffer.
Makes an occasional hiss, or squishy noise.

Great, great, great, smooth, smooth, buttery smooth, light, air...Best fork. Demo'ed a few Foxes, RS Team works just as good or better.

Great for AM,XC, or just riden around town.
My complaints were minor, and really, I'm not upset about the flex, it does not affect my riding in any way.
I'm running 25psi neg., and somthing around 45psi posi.Keep in mind I'm only 100lbs.

I love it, I want one for my other bike, almost cried when I got it. When you go from an MZ Comp to a $650 fork...well it's just a good felling. You should buy one too.

Similar Products Used: Manitou Black Elite w/spv 120mm
Maracocchi MZ Comp 80mm
Demo'ed Fox Forx Vanilla RL 130
iceaxe   Cross Country Rider [Sep 07, 2005]
Strength:

Light weight (same as advertised), rigidity, adjuustable, reliable (so far).

may have to many adjustments for some riders.

I must admit, I was very nervous about buying a Rock Shox product after the past couple of years of producing unreliable garbage. I was really set on getting a Fox Talas RLC until I heard about there bushing problems. I got a chance to parking lot test a Reba and was very impressed with the quality of it's travel and steering response. There are tons of adjustments that really allow you adjust the characteristics of this fork. It is my opinion that these forks are better than the fox float line; even if price is not an issue. I have approximately 300 miles on the fork and has proved to be reliable as well. Fox, Manitou, and Marzo better watch out...

Similar Products Used: Fox Float line of forks, manitou black, headshocks.
Ramsés   Weekend Warrior [Aug 10, 2005]
Strength:

Light weight @ 3.66lbs, Stiffness - fatty 32mm stanchions, Motion Control lockout & PLA bar-mounted lever, 85-115mm U-Turn constant spring rate, stiff & light 7050-Al hollow crown.

Like all high-end forks, long break-in period before pillow plushness. No v-brake model for old school xc setups. Takes a while to learn the fork and Motion Control can come off too advanced at first.

I got this fork thinking that I needed to have 32mm stanchions for serious trail riding. I'm also pushing 200lbs., and my 30mm stanchion Manitou Minute's and Marzocchi Marathon were becoming too flexy for my hard trail riding. The Reba Team was the perfect fork for the options and the money.

I'm not a big fan of automatic lockouts like on the Fox F100X and F80X because it makes it hard to climb with the handlebar fully extended out at ya. The Manitou SPV at least does a better job and doesn't fully "lock" on ya. But Rock fixes this problem with their Motion Control system (and the difficult-to-explain "Flood Gate"). It's certainly more complicated, but it's much smarter to have a fork that will still give you some "play" while in lockout mode and can adapt to different terrain and riding styles. Check RockShox's website dedicated to the Motion Control, it's detailed there. Or check out the awesome MBAction magazine review/advice from the Dec or Jan issue. Expect Fox forx to get cheaper now, Reba's are gaining serious ground.

As for the ride quality. I honestly haven't sensed any difference between a top Fox and a Reba Team. Both are quite plushy and rigid/stiff. But the Reba U-Turn's offer 85-115mm of travel, and that suits my riding style and capabilities better than a fixed travel fork. On long climbs or road riding, 85mm is excellent. On gnarly descents or for occasional jumps I'll opt for the full 115mm. This is as close to having a xc/trail do-it-all fork as it gets. Compared to Manitou Minutes and Blacks, I prefer the Manitou reverse arch for the more confident steering control, but the overall rigidness and responsiveness of the 32mm stanchions on the Reba will win any time.

Get this fork if you're looking for the best value out there. Get this fork if you like to ride hard and be in control. Get this fork if you're more about the ride than the status of the fork.

Don't get this fork if you're doing dirtjumping or freeriding, try a Pike model instead. Don't get this fork if what you really want is to impress others with a fancy/expensive Fox or Marzocchi.

Similar Products Used: Fox RL/RLT 100 and F100X, 2004/2005 Manitou Minute 1:00 and 2:00, Manitou Black Super Air 80 and 100, 2004 Marzocchi Marathon SL 120mm
Eric Schuck   Cross Country Rider [Jul 02, 2005]
Strength:

Price, value, adjustability, pop lock

None so far

I originally had a Talas RLC. It was a great fork but it leaked oil. Eventually, I damaged the right nitride coating on the stanchion. The cost to repair and rebuild the fork exceeded the price I paid for my Reba Team. The Reba is lighter than the Talas, just as stiff, has a remote lockout which I really enjoy using on uphills or sprints, and is easily as adjustable except for the on the fly travel adjustment (I did not buy the U turn model). Like I am sure most readers shy away from RockShox due to their bad reputation but this is one great fork.

I am running the pressures slightly lower than the recommended on the fork (10 psi) and find the action very smooth. I will continue to tweak these.

I also adjusted the travel from 85 to 105 mm by removing a spacer. The manual on the RS website is very good. Just follow the instructions.