RockShox Reba SL 2005 Front Shocks

• Adjust: Positive and Negative Schrader Valves
  • Damping: Motion Control
  • Steerer Tube: Butted Aluminum

Biker Kai   Cross Country Rider [Oct 25, 2008]
Strength:

Adjustability and quality.

I've used the Reba SL forks for exactly a year and they are now off to Tim Flooks Tuning for a well earned service. I hadn't realised that they cam set up for just 85mm of travel. As I use the bike for XC trail stuff as well as ventures into the local hills, I am getting the fork travel maxed out. In theory this should be 115mm but the reality is probably a little less.

The forks have been very good so far but of late I think the seals have started leaking. That said, I do tend to use the bike a lot.

Well worth taking the time to set up the sag properly and then experimenting with different settings.

John   Weekend Warrior [Sep 15, 2005]
Strength:

lockout, travel adjust

weight

This is an upgrade from my previous Rockshox Pilot XC. So far, so good. The lockout is great, as well as the travel adjustment. The weight is only the downside. Maybe if I have the dough, I'll upgrade to a SID. Then, tranfer the Reba to an all-mountain bike. That's a big "if" and "when".

Similar Products Used: none
John   [Aug 15, 2006]

this is my second review for this product. its so good that i bought a second unit. enough said.

Dave   Cross Country Rider [Aug 06, 2006]
Strength:

Not too heavy, extremely adjustable, looks cool, stiff, plush for an air fork

I could only find one in silver, still looks cool though

If you want a plush light and adjustable fork this is the one you should get. You can get them real cheap now too. Just go buy one.

Similar Products Used: Pilot C
Brian   Cross Country Rider [Aug 03, 2006]
Strength:

Looks good, easy to use, set it and go

Have not found one yet.

This is an easy to use fork that can take a betting. I like to ride fast single track but here in Arizona there is alot of rock and you miss some and you hit alot. I have jumped on this fork many times maybe 3 feet high and have not had any problems. I have only aired it up twice and one time was just because I was just playing with the settings. This fork rides so well and the price is so great I just cannot see see paying more for another brand. If you can get one you will not regret it.

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi Mx Pro w/ETA, Rock Shock Pilot
Enrique   Cross Country Rider [Jul 23, 2006]
Strength:

tons of tunes thanks to the + and - air
pretty light
very stiff
good looking

none!

great XC do-it-all fork that can handle a lot more thank a SID or R7. I've made 3 feet jumps in a 4x course and no problem, feels stiff and plush on evry jump

the dual air makes all easier and allows u to perfect, and easly adjust the fork to ur riding style, and terrain.

Similar Products Used: Manitou Six
Jerome Le Sueur   Weekend Warrior [Oct 12, 2005]
Strength:

Nice and Stiff, Lockout and has a good adjustability.

Can tell yet, other than I am still to get the fork to compress to 100mm - I need to play with the settings!

I am enjoying this fork. When I first upgraded to the Skareb I thought it was great and now running the Reba I am even more impressed - the Skareb was quite flexxy compared to the Reba. Under hard bracking the fork holds out well and performs well in tricky single track sittuations. Just need to play with the settings and see what she is really capable of (The shop set it up for me).

Similar Products Used: RockShox Quadra 21R, RST Gamma EL, Manitou Skareb Elite - in that order
Ryan   Weekend Warrior [Sep 29, 2005]
Strength:

Took my new Reab SL out for a ride today. Very nice. Smooth, active fork with good travel. Stiff, steers good, very solid. It is fairly lightweight for a 100mm fork. 3.5 pounds for the dual air SL. Cheaper than the Reba Race, exact same features.

The negative air valve is kinda tricky. At first I thought it was not holding air or it was leaking. What I figured out was that as I unscrewed my shock pump, most of the air was escaping. Don't screw on your shock pump too far. It has threads all the way up, but only screw it on until your gauge moves, then start pumping.

I don't think you will find a better 3.5 pound, 85-115mm travel, beefy fork for less than $300. If you are a racer or someone that does huge drops, maybe this fork is not for you. It's great for the weekend warrior. If you have a wad of money burning a hole in your pocket, there are better forks out there. I'll use the money I saved for beer.

Similar Products Used: Black Elite Air, Fox Float R
James   Weekend Warrior [Dec 22, 2005]
Strength:

The adjustability of this fork is a major strong point. Once dialing in the correct air pressures etc. you really feel like its made for you. It is really responsive and the "blowoff" feature on lockout is great for those unexpected bumps. This thing is light as hell too: 3.4 lbs I think.

This is really minor but I think the finish on the bottom end is of lower quality than I expected. The paint looks cheap and I think that the "Reba" logo is a sticker. Again, only cosmetic.

For me this is a serious step up from what Ive had on my other bikes. Adjustiblity, responsiveness,weight, and some great features make the 2005 a solid buy (they should be on sale at this point). The cheap stickers and cheap-looking paint are the only drawbacks considering the price range. This fork would be at home in XC, all-mountian, trails, everywhere. Ive even done a little jumping with it. Great fork.

Similar Products Used: Manitou Six, Manitou Axel Elite, this is a definite upgrade
ming lee   Cross Country Rider [Jul 16, 2006]
Strength:

Very stiff
Great price
Super, super adjustability
U Turn travel adjustability 115- 80mm
Reliable
Plush

None really

I've put many tough miles on this fork through all conditions. I've had no problems with this fork, I've recently started looking for something new but have decided to stay with this rock steady dependable and value priced fork.

I love how plush it feels on technical trails, it takes some hits and jumps (100mm)and doesn't flex. The best feature I love about this fork is the Pop valve which is the same as the new R7 Platinum pop valve and Fox fork pop valve feature. U can adjust the pop valve on the Reba to any level and is an excellent feature for climbing.

This fork has adjustments for platform, compression, ride height, lock out, and thick stiff stanchions to boot.

This fork has excellent adjustability and for the $$ really unbeatable in the market. You can pay more but won't necessarily get more, however it's probably a 1/4lb heavier than SID and R7 but not a big deal.