RockShox Pilot SL 2005 Front Shocks

• Adjust: Positive air pressure via Schrader valve
  • Damping: Motion Control
  • Lowers: One piece magnesium

Andre   [Feb 02, 2013]
Strength:

good adjustability, separate low/high speed damping circuits, still working 7 years later

HEAVY AND FLEXY

I bought a used bike with a Pilot SL on it thinking I would have to replace the fork right away. Turns out it's working quite well and is still totally trail worthy! I'm really impressed so far. It is pretty heavy though for a XC fork, and if you look at it while riding you can see it flexing all over the place.

scottishrider93   Weekend Warrior [Jan 26, 2010]
Strength:

Great adjustability, rebound control and damping... fairly solid with minimal flex in high speed corners... they have stood the test of time as they must be nearly five years old and have had roughly 5 owners who to be honest have given them a fair thrashing and they are still plush and smooth. I changed the oil and got new seals last month and they are working like a dream!!

Tad heavy and mine are so old the pain is flaking off and rust is forming but mechanically sound...

If you can pick a second hand pair up cheap as i did they are well worth it and even if they do break in the near future which i very much doubt then you would have had your moneys worth... I paid £50 pounds sterling (Roughly $100 US dollars) which is well cheap considering their excellent performance, reliability and lovely red colour :D

Similar Products Used: These are my first decent fork tbh... i had cheapy Suntour XCRs before and they were rubbish...
Jared   Racer [Apr 02, 2006]
Strength:

Super adjustability! Very easy to fine tune. Lock out works very nice. Rebound adjustment works very well. Super value and very sturdy.

I've switched to RS after going through two different Manitou forks, a Black Elite and a Minute 2:00. Both had a difficult time holding air as I had to regularly check PSI. With the Pilot I check it every few months only to find that it needs little to no air. This fork took a couple of days to fine tune but once I had it dialed in it cooked! I suggest reading the owners manual carefully to learn about all the adjustments you can make. Also, this fork is very sturdy. I could definitely feel both the Black and Minute torqueing under my 210 pound frame, however this thing stands its ground. It also helped to eliminate the disc brake rotor rub I was getting with the other two forks since it helps keep everything aligned. I was going to upgrade to a Reba, but I've been very happy with the Pilot even for racing.

Similar Products Used: Manitou Black, Manitou Minute 2:00
auzzie   Cross Country Rider [Mar 27, 2006]
Strength:

good lockout. exelent travel, and adjust

buy this for cross country bikes. it works very well. you can also use it for urban stuff. works well when using clipless pedals. can use for racing, but mainly use for riding. works well even when going off a jump. i can brag to freinds. basicly, if you are a cross country rider who does some racing, or even just riding,even good for trials, you should get this fork, but if you are looking for a downhill or freeriding fork, this is not for you.

Similar Products Used: bad ones.
Austin   Weekend Warrior [Jun 15, 2007]
Strength:

Great lockout, good adjustments, doesn't leak, doesnt bob, or bottom out easily, and its sexy

none that i can recall

Very good for XC and All mountain. The lockout helps a lot when you have those tough climbs. Its very easy to adjust the rebound according to your trail. BUY IT!!!!!

Similar Products Used: trek 6700, wtb wolf grips, fizick seats, hayes nine.
Darren   Cross Country Rider [Jul 07, 2005]
Strength:

Lockout, light, cheap and lots of adjustment.

Blew the o-ring at the bottom of the lockout assembly after 2 months. I think due to too hard a hit while locked out.

These forks are adjustable to hell and back. They can take a good beating but remember to not do anything offroad when locked out, unless you are climbing! When out of the saddle and honking it is invaluable.

They are simple to rebuild (after my seal issue). And the instructions off the Rock Shox site are easy to follow. While off the weight is pretty good for the price.

If you have this kind of budget either get these or Marzocchi MX Comp ETAs.

There is no way I am ever going to buy non-lockout forks now!

Similar Products Used: Manitou Blacks, Marzocchi MX Comps
Ed   Weekend Warrior [Jul 26, 2005]
Strength:

Very plush : Plenty of 'all-mtn/XC' travel : Effective Lockout : Endless Adjustability

Weight : Light factory coil (had LBS install a slightly stiffer one)

First off, let me say that this fork is not for Freeride or Downhill. It is a good AllMtn/XC fork.

I'm a little tired of seeing this fork verbally abused. As long as you take the time to read the manual and have it set up 'properly' it is a wonderful fork.

Some people have said "I wanted my fork to be in full complaince. But that that comprimises the lockout..." Well here's the kicker:

If you want super plush suspension, expect a little bobbing to happen. If you want a non bobbing climber, expect to have a stiffer setup. That's physics. That is why there is an "effective lockout"

Some people say that the lockout doesn't do it's job:

There's a blow-by adjustment on the fork that allows it to bypass the lockout if you hit a really big bump when locked out. Read the manual and set it up properly according to your weight. I noticed that when mine is fully locked out and I stand up over it, I can get it to compress a bit but that's just fine for climbing. It's less than an inch and it's VERY stiff.

Some people say that the fork LOSES AIR:

I actually had this problem and was ready to have Rock Shox trade me out for a coil Duke or something. I took it to my bike shop and had them lube up the seals and "assist cartrige." I have since ridden this bike time-after-time and the fork has lost absolutely ZERO air since the proper lubing. If you read the service manual, you will see a section that states the air assist cartrige needs to have a small amount of oil in it to keep the seal. Mine for some reason didn't. Now that it is 'setup properly' it works perfectly.

C-dale tout's their "uninterrupted travel" concept that is VERY well deserved, but...I detect absolutely ZERO stiction with this fork. It is buttery smooth through all 4" of travel. I used to ride needle bearing forks until I bought this bike B/C I was skeptical of std. forks. This mid/low level fork has made me a believer. Much more adjustable than any Headshock I have ridden.

For all of the people out there that say "Throw this fork away and buy Terralogic"... this fork was not made to compete with Fox Racing products in turn, the people who are looking to buy this fork can't afford a $700 fork. Why even suggest such a thing unless it's just for bragging rights?

For the price you pay, this fork is very nice. It's a little flexy for big riders like myself (210lbs), but I love it to death. When it's set up properly, it performs as stated...plush and predictable.

Similar Products Used: All Kind's of suspension products
wj   [Jun 22, 2005]
Strength:

good suspension, locking for road, reasonable price for its features

none so far

this is one good fork. as a hybrid rider, i have utmost versatality. when i require stiffness with a little suspension to cut off those little bumps on the road. when i require suspension, the motion damper gives it all. smooth rides over those trails. excellent for begginers/intermediates.

Mike Eads   [Apr 24, 2005]
Strength:

versatility, stiff, looks good

air requires shock pump

this fork is great for my set up, i run it pretty soft. If i want to hammer i just lock it out. the only thing i don't like is that it is kind of noisy. it kind of rattles if i hit a bump with no weight on the front. For the money it is great, it is fully adjustable, i have never bottomed it out even though i run it very soft. I love it.