Maverick SC32 2005 Front Shocks

Maverick SC32 2005 Front Shocks

The SC32 represents the finest in Aggressive XC Fork technology. It combines the weight of an XC fork with the steering precision and performance found in a Free ride forks.

• The Fork has 5" (125mm) of air sprung, oil damped travel. Run it open at five inches while riding or, with the flick of a switch, reduce it to 3" (80mm) of travel while climbing technical terrain.
  • 40 mm externally butted aluminum uppers, 32mm hard anodized aluminum lowers.
  • External rebound adjustment.
  • Proprietary Design, True Quick Release, Front Loading.
  • Stanchion Guards included.
  • Fork weight, including upper crown is 1588 grams (3.5 lbs).
  • Maverick Hub with 24 mm axle available separately (244 grams).
  • Build Height (Axle to Crown Race): 494mm.
  • Ride Height (with recommended 25-30mm sag): 464 to 469mm.

[Feb 15, 2009]
ewascent

Strength:

Light. Interesting. Simple and effective design. Travel adjustment works well. Hub works well.

Guards noisily rattle.

I would not pay 600 bucks for this, plus the price of a wheel build. At that price I would buy a Fox. Having said that, this is a nice fork. Not as plush or stiff as my Talas, but it works great for what it is. I wanted a long travel hardtail that would not wallow uphill. This fit the bill perfectly. The lockout travel mode is solid and I can power up non-technical climbs.

Fox FX90, Fox Talas, Marz Marathon 100-120, many Manitou forks.

[May 18, 2008]
Billy

Strength:

This fork is the best thing around. Picks up ALL small bumps while eating all the large ones as well. Super easy to maintain - as long as you're mechanically inclined - all you have to do is change the oil per their schedule. If you're a bit of a clydesdale like me, all you do is give Maverick a call and they'll help you dial the thing in for your size, weight and riding style. Like a Moto, all you do is add a few ml of oil or step up the viscosity.... that's it .......... no springs or bushings to hassel with. Great job on this fork. Hasn't let me down in a full year of riding, minimum of 40 off road miles a week.........

None. Rack problem others have disappears with a hitch rack or the Rocky Mount available from Maverick. The hub seems to be an issue for some, but the thing is super light with a 1" axle that makes it stiff. Super easy to replace the bearings in the hub too. Go with Ceramics for a few bucks more and you'll be really happy.

Get this fork. Follow the Maverick maintenance schedule and you'll never have to buy another fork...... period.

Way to go Maverick!

Fox Float RLC, Fox 100, Marzocci, Manitou, Rock Shox

[Sep 16, 2005]
Tyler

Strength:

Unique, great looking, stiff single-crown fork that is fairly light. Maverick 24mm hub is awesome, makes the whole setup very stiff and responsive. "Upside-down" design, like motorcycles, keeps everything well-lubed. The axle quick release is really sweet, truly quick releasing, although the spring steel safety clips could be a bit bigger to ease them out of the way more easily with cold fingers and tired hands. One alarming thing I noticed immediately, due to the "inverted" design, is that the stanchions can rotate, since they are not fixed in the crown. I turned around to put my wheel back on and thought I had broken something because the dropouts were askew! It's not actually a flaw though, just scares you the first time you notice. Seems very plush so far, have yet to bottom it. Still working out the perfect adjustment, I'm picky and will make small adjustments gradually to get it perfect; there are options for air pressure, oil viscosity, and a heavier negative spring. The "climbing mode" is cool because it lowers you down over the front end but keeps small bump compliance, and is really easy and quick to use, without another lever cluttering up your bar. By the way, Maverick has a shim available to convert this fork to use with a 29" wheel, if you should want to for some reason.

Not as light as claimed, mine was 3.74lbs with fork guards and full steerer. I am expecting some very minor oil seepage eventually, but honestly, you should be wiping down stanchions after every ride anyway. Haven't seeped yet however. I had to grind the disc mount a tad to fit Hayes El Camino caliper properly (very small amount, as in sanding the powdercoat off one spot on the caliper would've let it fit.) Full retail pricing is certainly not cheap. The rebound damping adjustment seems like it could use a bit more difference between the two ends of the range. You do have to be sure and squeeze the fork legs together, snug up against the hub, when you are putting your wheel back on, because they flex enough that it is possible, even likely, that you will re-mount the axle with the dropouts further outboard than they should be. One last beef is that the only way to put your bike on a standard roof rack that holds the fork (such as on friends vehicles) is to shell out another 40 bucks for an adapter from Rocky Mounts, but that's true of any through-axle fork. Oh, and you have to get your front wheel custom-built with the Maverick or CKing hub...which is sold separately.

Great fork, plush and super responsive because of that huge hub. A bit pricey, but it's pretty light for 5 inches of travel, and you get a custom front wheel too! Perfect for "all-mountain" riders who do a bit of everything.

Marzocchi, RockShox

[Mar 25, 2007]
Jer

Strength:

Listen, this fork is one of the few models out there that actually got it done right. Use the "Gunna Flo" lube and the right maintenance that Maverick recommends, and this fork will never let you down.

The roof rack issue is the only thing that anyone should complain about. they had some issues with seal leaks, but just call them up, get the blue seals ordered, and you will be fine.

I'm 190 pounds. I ride over 100 miles a week. I love this fork. From the technical trails of Pisgah to the flats of Florida, you can set up this fork to be exactly what you want. The customer service from Maverick is top notch, always there to be the company you need them to be.

Everything. honestly.

[Nov 01, 2006]
Al C

Strength:

Stiff, plush, travel adj, easy to use, light weight.

only 3 companies make this 24mm hub. maverick, king, and bontreger.

Great fork, stiff inspire confident. plush and bottomless feel. I love this fork. I was trying to put the duc32 but due to stack clearance i've decided to put the mini instead. great cornering fork very stiff, easy to adjust, and the climbing mode is a plus. highly recommended.

It's sister DUC32, same weight bit longer leg. minute 3, sid, black, skereb, lefty, and headshock

[Jun 27, 2006]
Andrew Palek

Strength:

solid, plush, adjustable, great customer service

propritary front hub...

Excellent customer service + solid plush fork = good deal. Reguardless of the propritary front hub (which works excellently) the fork is very adjustable and climbs extrememly well when locked down. Concerning hits, the fork takes the large ones and adjust well to a number of conditions.
The customer service is grade A. I Fed up one of my seals, sent it in the service was done with new seals and oil for the mear cost of shipping there... the turnaround time was pretty decent also.

All and all I think this is a excellent fork for agressive cross country useage.
4 chillies for value because it is a little expensive if bought new + you need the hub. overall its a 5 any day of the week.

mars Z1 fr, Marz Marathon SL, manitou X-vert Super

[Jan 01, 2006]
Jesse VOZA

Strength:

+ Looks cool
+ Big
+ Different

- Everything
- Too different

Don't get this fork !
1 - The fork seals will pop out after every long downhill
2 - You can't put your bike on your car
3 - The oil from the fork will leak on your disk pads
4 - When the front wheel is off, the legs are turning and are not at the same height
5 - the rebound damping is not working
6 - There is no technical booklet. Nothing on internet either
7 - Maverick will promise everything to you but will do nothing (interbike 2005)
8 - There is a secret valve in the right leg
9 - You will never get 5 inch of travel
10 - Open the fork every month
11 - And so on...
Please, stay away from that exotic product. Marzocchi and Manitou stopped producing these kind of shock.

Fox 100, Rock Shox Reba, Leftys

[May 03, 2005]
Vince

Strength:

You get a lot of questions about it. nice looking fork.

Heavy, everyone thinks it's light, but mine was 3.9lbs on the analytical balance at work. everyone forgets to include the fact that you have to use the dorky fork guards to protect the fork legs. even without the guards it was almost 3.7lbs. Lack of adjustability. Price for what you get

I'm getting rid of this fork. Pain in the rear with the oversized hub. If you break a rim your s.o.l. You can't get a wheel from a buddy. For the price, I consider it a rip off. I was hoping for something with more adjustability. The rebound doesn't seem to change much when using the adjustment knob. No option to set bump threshold. Seals aren't the best. SInce day one I've had oil rings on the sliders. Bottom line, I love my new frame but the fork sucks. Can't wait to get something that mates well with the frame. To bad maverick messed up with this one...their frame is great.

Fox 100x Manitou

[Mar 17, 2005]
Erik

Strength:

This is after 2 weeks of riding, so these are intial thoughts only. First off, I love it. The shock tracks well and the stiffness of the through axle is seen when I go through mangled trails with decent drop offs from the crazy rain we've had. The 5 inches of travel has yet to bottom out and for those who still love a good climb the lockdown really helps in creating an aggresive cross country geometry. The adjustment is easily reached during the ride and I have yet to have issues with it. The travel is still remarkably resposive as well in this setting. The CK hubs look slick, but since I haven't tried the Maverick ones I really can't compare them.

So far no oil has leaked.....knock on wood. The brake cable guide gets very close to the tire when in the locked down mode.

Some of the best downhill I know has crazy climbs and mixing this shock with the 5 spot created a bike that loves to bomb down the hill, but with the lockdown and propedal, it turn the bike into a billygoat to get there. The RP3 and SC seems to compliment eachother. I don't feel like one shock is out performing the other. Longevity is all that is left, so I'll update in a few months. Finally, looks don't matter, but if they did this thing is sick looking.

Fox Vanilla 130MM, Fox Float, SID, Manitou Minute 2

[Feb 16, 2005]
jamie

Strength:

-looks killer
-after some customizing, it's super plush
-light (4.5 lbs)
-EASY to work on
-easy to take the wheel off

-oil leaks out of seals
-maverick letters and logos scratch off easily
-pain in the a$$ brake cable routing
-a little flexy
-3" mode really doesn't work well

One thing I want to say outright. I have broken a LOT of forks and this one is still running strong. I am a VERY aggressive rider and this thing has saved my a$$ countless times. I would suggest this fork to anyone that is looking for a light trail fork that knows how to work on bikes. This fork does require a decent amount of maintenance. But thanks to the design, you can have this fork completely rebuilt with new oil and everything in about 20 min.

As for the weaknesses I have listed above:

Taking out all the lubricating oil and putting in a lot of Slick Honey fixed the oil leaking out of the seals. Problem with doing this is that I would recommend rebuilding the fork every month or so to make sure that the seals have enough lubrication. If you leave the oil in the fork then just make sure you clean the oil that leaks out of the seals after every ride. Either way, no matter what fork you own you should be cleaning the stanchions after every ride anyway!

I got one of the first forks put into production and the “Maverick” letters on the stanchion guards and the logo on the uppers scratches off a little easy. Not really a performance problem though. I just constantly get stopped by people on the trail who are wondering what type of fork it is.

I solved the problem with the brake cable routing by taking some electrical tape and wrapping a long spoke to the brake line. This way the line stays straight and doesn't kink.

As for the flex, I don't feel it out on the trail. The only time I notice it is when I am on the road and nail the front brake. And last but not least, when the fork is in the three-inch mode it is very stiff and doesn't want to move...who cares. The three-inch mode is for climbing only and even when I hit a really steep climb I still keep the fork in the five-inch mode anyway.
I have also customized my fork a little more then what I have mentioned in this review.

Bottom line: This fork has been great to me. It is stupid easy to rebuild and the company is one of the few left in the world that still cares about their customers. If Maverick made a DH race fork I would definitely give it a try as well.

Just as a note: I am not responsible if you take my advice and tuning tips listed above and f**k up your fork. These tips have worked for me because I know what I am doing when it comes to working on bikes.

atom race 100, sid world cup, Z1, sherman flick plus (POS!), sherman breakout plus (also POS!), worked on many DUC 32's