Marzocchi All Mountain III 2005 Front Shocks

• External Air Preload
  • SPRING TYPE One side: Air
  • One side: Long Negative Coil springs

leshark   Downhiller [Aug 05, 2008]
Strength:

Soo Smooth, lots of travel and light (I believe) Great all rounder, long travel, light (supposedly) and great price

Fair amount of twist/flex, really poor decals that are hanging off

Great forks, seem best set with low air and about 30% sag, soak up everything once set up properly, lockout great for the slog uphill, I've used them on a hybrid all mountain build, only really annoying thing everybody says there one of the lightest single crown 5.5 inch travel forks (even Marzocchi) but I cant find anywhere what they actually weigh, looks like I'll have to strip the bike down to get the weight, unless anyone reading this can tell me (email me on leshark@btinternet.com)

Similar Products Used: None, my other bikes a Whyte PRST4
Jim Zagryn   Weekend Warrior [Mar 27, 2006]
Strength:

Beefy, Marzocchi quality, decent weight for the price & beefyness of the fork. Dual leg air adjustment with standard schrader valve. Reasonably low air preasure requirement lends to the reliability factor ~ 50lbs for a 200lb rider such as myself.

Fork came with wrong oil set up & needed oil tuning before it could be used (lacked sufficient rebound dampening & topped out violently just by pressing down & releasing). Works great now that the oil level is to spec. Owners manual has minimal useful info dispite being as thick as it is.

My MX Comp solidified the praise I've heard for Marzocchi forks. Once tuned, the AM3 takes my confidence in the bike's front end to a new level. Great value for a 200 lb rider looking for a rock solid all mountain fork.

Similar Products Used: ~95 Rock Shock Mag 21, ~97 Judy, ~99 Manitou Mars (whimpy shock that ate through air seals like crazy even after beefyest springs installed, just needed too much air preasure, 02 Marzocchi MX Comp
david dobson   Downhiller [Mar 09, 2006]
Strength:

rigid, plush or stiff. adjustable by preload or oil viscosity. i got the bear bones fork

bear bones fork

by changin the air preload and oil viscosity i can set this fork up for freeride, tril riding, or urban assualt. if you know what ur doin u dont need all those facy dials....but they do come in handy great fork for what it is intended

Similar Products Used: rock shock psylo
tom chasse   Weekend Warrior [Mar 03, 2006]
Strength:

This fork is strong, simple and a great value. No bells and whistles but does the job very well

This is a no nonesense hard charging fork. It does the job with no problems and no bells and whistles. I set it up right the first time and never have to mess with it. Just the way I like it. There are many more expensive and adjustable forks out there but if you get a great fork you don't need all that stuff. I love this fork and have had more expensive and adjustable one but never used the adjustments much and they just took money from my pocket. By using this fork I have more money to have more bike choices. I have a large stable. I like it that way it allows me to have more friends.

Similar Products Used: manitou minute 2, sid 100, bomber z1, bomber mx pro, bomber dj and several others
Dan Ringrow   Weekend Warrior [Jun 02, 2007]
Strength:

Absorbs all the little bumps and also the large jumps. It is called an all mountain but it is just as good at jumps as cross country.

Very little adjustment.

Well worth the cash

Similar Products Used: '07 Mazorochi dirt jumpers
Chris   Weekend Warrior [Jan 31, 2006]
Strength:

Good fork for the money. Feels solid and smooth, especially for rocky and rooty New England trails

Takes some patience to set it up how you like it. Zero on the fly adjustability

For the price that I paid, ($200) you are not going to get a much better value. I had been worried about getting an all air fork but one ride on the All Mountain III cured that. Lets be fair, it doesn't feel quite like a coil but its darn close. I ride this fork on a hardtail that used to have a Manitou Black Elite on the front. The difference is night and day. While the Manitou Black is a nice fork and has a lot of adjustability, I didn't realize how unstable it was until I but the All Mountain III on the front. There is not flex or shakiness whatsoever. My confidence hitting rock gardens and doing smaller drops on the singlespeed has doubled.
I have mine set to 130mm of travel and put in a bit more oil than recommended for my weight to prevent bottoming. I set it up with Marzocchi's recommended oil levels and felt like I was just blowing through the travel, even on tiny drops. It took me about 3 or 4 rides to really adjust the amount of air and oil to get the fork how I like it. I guess that would be the only real downside.
That said, this fork is not a Z1 FR or Marzocchi 66. It is a lower cost fork with basically no one the fly adjustability. But if you know that when you buy it, you should be very happy.

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi Z1 FR
Manitou Black
Cole Dietrich   Downhiller [Jan 27, 2006]
Strength:

These Forks are a great hydrolic fork. They are good for downhilling, dirtjumpin, and anything else. The air preloads let you adjust the "plushness" for what kind of riding you are planning on doing. IE: more air for big drops/ downhillin , less air for roots and trails.
This fork is worth the money. 5 inches of pure softness.:)

Not enough travel when hittin big, but if you set the air right inside the forks, it performs just aswell as a 6 inch fork ( or higher)

This is a great fork. Dont hesitate on buying it.
Tip when buying forks. Dont look at the year of the fork. most hydrolic forks perform just aswell as a new fork does.
Dont be afraide to buy used bikes / forks!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used: z1 freerides. I hate locking forks.
Jonny Goodness   Cross Country Rider [Jul 07, 2006]
Strength:

Solid, much better feel than any air fork I have have ridden in the past. Takes a big hit just fine.

Not enough suppleness in the first 2 inches of travel... cant seem to find that happy medium between nothing and too much. It's an air fork though. Would benefit from some compression and rebound dampening controls but for $230 I dont mind changing the oil around until I get what I want from it.

This fork is good for the money but lacks adjustability. You can get the results you want with it but you have to get into the fork... there is absolutely no trailside adjustability.

It's a really good design when it comes to stiffness though, it feels very stable.

If you buy this fork know that (1) it may be called all mountain... but you are still buying an air fork (2) it has no adjustability (3) it takes some work to set it up to your taste.

Similar Products Used: 97 Judy, 99 Judy, 99 Manitou SX, Manitou Black Comp 80/100, Manitou Black Elite 100/120, Manitou Axel 80.
mark beaveridge   Racer [Oct 11, 2006]
Strength:

plush easy to set up,sweet looking and kinda cheap,good for all diciplines.

they are my favourite forks i have ever used would not choose anything else

Similar Products Used: manitou minute 1
Jay FiggA   Downhiller [Jul 25, 2006]
Strength:

This fork is absolutely amazing! it is a simple yet strong, easy to use,all you do is pump it up w/ an air pump to wat ever psi u like, u can adjust it for DH, or FR or AM or Xc Or u can pump it so hard that it is perfect for DJ or urban. u can fill her all the way and its so perfect for trials, thi

this fork would be even better if it had eta and possibly 150+ travel, but the 130 is perfect.

the bottom line is that this fork is the pimp, shes cheap in price but rich in quality, u just have to no how to tune it, just differ every class by about 15 psi! this fork would be assome for any one!

Similar Products Used: Boxxer world cup, Jr T, RST GIlas, Nixons, and z1 freerides. Z1s are the worst forks ever made, they suck.