Manitou Skareb Platinum 2005 Front Shocks

The crown jewel of the Skareb line gets even better for 2005. The primary change is the addition of Manitou's IT (infinite travel) remote adjuster. Using the IT system, the rider can easily adjust the fork's travel, on the fly, from 0 to 100mm and everywhere in between. If that wasn't enough, you also get Manitou's SPV (stable platform valve) Evolve damping, revised for '05 for better small bump sensitivity.

bvpp00   Cross Country Rider [Dec 30, 2008]
Strength:

IT travel! Very very handy. Holds air well.

SPV, I was never able to get it right. Higher SPV pressures make the fork feel much harsher.

I bought the Skareb especially for the IT feature and I must say the IT is really great! I can climb very steep climbs now, where my friends cannot. Very easy to use also. I have had no quality problems with the fork so far. Although a drop of oil did leak out the air valve when inflating to high pressures a couple of times (did'nt unsterstand where it came from, actually), but no more than a drop and that's it.
I found the SPV almost being impossible to setup. Higher SPV pressure does eliminate bob, but it makes the fork overall much harsher, not only small bump complaince but overall. Or so it felt. So I am running a fairly low SPV pressure, and the fork feels very plush. It bobbs quite a bit out of the saddle, however. Altogether, I am no fan of SPV.

Overall I am happy with the fork.

Similar Products Used: Manitou Axel
Jim   Cross Country Rider [Jan 19, 2006]
Strength:

Weight

UHHHHH

Man oh man, yes thats my review like 1 or 2 back. Must have jinxed myself. I noticed a poping noise sounded like a headset (Got a King) so obviously not the headset, it was fork. I let the air out of the SPV side and oil went everywhere out of the air inlet. Fork has some plastic thing inside that stops the rebound, it shatered. Super cheap! Other damage done I guess without plastic part in place, its also not meant to float around inside of fork. I have an old Judy on my bike now, that fork must be 6 or 7 years old but still fine, thats says alot about 500- 600 dollar forks nowdays. I would go back to a fox tera logic fork but from reviews they all leak, uhh any suggestions????!!!!

Similar Products Used: Fox Rock sh
Wes Roode   Cross Country Rider [Sep 24, 2006]
Strength:

Lightweight, very tunable

Bit flimsy, takes a while to tune in, seals seem to leak if the fork is not set up properly. Needs overhaul regulary

This fork does what it is made for XC riding. I would`nt recomend it to anyone who wants a fork they can just fit and forget about. SPV system is`nt for me, I`d much rather lockout There are alot of very rocky downhills here and compared to my old Fox Float 100 these really do feel like butter. Overall these a a great xc fork

Similar Products Used: SID
Allen   Racer [Mar 02, 2007]
Strength:

IT travel

NOT reliable

When I first got the fork something was wrong with the airspring; it wouldn`t hold any pressure so I had to send it right back to Manitou, when I got it back `repaired` even though it was a new fork it lasted about 4 months before it had to be sent back again to have the SPV replaced.
I know the other owners here had a good or Ok experince with this fork, but this fork was a big disappointment for me and I probabaly will stay away from Manitou in the future.

Similar Products Used: Fox, Rock Shox, Marzocchi
Mumps   Weekend Warrior [May 14, 2006]
Strength:

Light, stiff, true 100mm travel, ITC is excellent, very very tuneable

-Came with bad seals
-Not a fan of the SPV platforming - much prefer real lockout

First off, I havn't ridden every fork on the market and their brother like some of the reviewers here but as light weight XC forks go there were only really three (SID, Reba, Skareb) untill the R7 this year and I've ridden all 3 skarebs and several different SIDs but not Reba (or R7) so the SID and other Skarebs is the basis of my comparison.
Firstly the SID - the Skareb is better in every department stiffer (I'm on the light side at 160lb and I can flex a SID but not the Skareb - for my weight there I would not notice if a fork was stiffer than the Skareb), much longer travel (I really get 100mm travel) as oppose to the SID which only go through 1/2 its travel no matter what you go off. This is subjective, but it the travel 'feels' much nicer smooth rather than spongy. The SID to me feels like an older generation fork like the Mars.
Comparing to the other Skarebs (Skarebs are nice and cheap in Japan right now since everybody here only like to buy the latest and greatest i.e. the R7 so Ive built up several bikes including my own with different Skarebs),
-The Elite is not great since the Skareb's travel is too linear without either the compression damping of the Super or platforming of the Platinum making the Platinum much better all round.
-Compaired to the Super however I'm not sure. The lockout on the Super is excellent and the compression damping really really works giving you excellent control to make on the fly adjustments according to the terrain. On the otherhand I've been trying to twiddle the many nobs on the Platinum for 6 months in search of the right balance of small bump compliance and anti-bob and just can't find the right spot. I much prefer the manual control of the Super. The Platinum is also marignally heavier and more expensive. The thing Platinum really does give over the Super however is ITC which is work brilliantly. Being able to drop the fork down to pretty much the lowers only means you can climb the steeps with the bike pretty much horizontal almost elliminating the need for handle bar pulling/ weight shifting etc.
Unfortunately, looking at the reveiws below, the ITC system seems to have quality issues. Much like some of the reviews below, 2 weeks after installing the fork (and unfortunately in the middle of a race) the fork started going down... and not coming back up. - This is not due to poor adjustment as mention below - it is due to bad seals. Manitou's rep in Japan did a good job of fixing up my fork in a week but when I tried to call Manitou in the US I was on hold for 40 mins before I gave up. Since I got it fixed it has been working fine.
The Platinum is also highly adjustable with speperate nobs and valves for compression rate, platforming level, rebound damping and compression. All of these controls really work - unfortunately getting the right balance is somewhat beyond me. If anyone has some tips I would appreciate it (I weigh 160 and ride what might be marketed as "agressive" XC).

Anyway, end of ramble to sum it up= ITC is great when working, SPV is not so great. Shopping again I might have bought the cheaper Super instead. However with the R7 out for half a year now I bet there are pletty of Skarebs out their on sale and they beat the hell out of the SID.

Similar Products Used: Skareb Super, Skareb Elite, RS SID Race, RS Pilot
Dan   Racer [Jan 04, 2006]
Strength:

Very reliable and NO MAINT. issues unlike other forks.

I love it!

Similar Products Used: Sid World Cup
Jim   Cross Country Rider [Jan 01, 2006]
Strength:

Weight....doesnt leak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

none so far

Fox came on my Cruz in 03. I loved the fork but it wouldnt stop leaking oil. I finally litarly threw it in a dumpster. Any ways I wanted to get Fox fx100 but didnt want to spend 700+. Got the platinum, no regrets 4 24hr races alot of other races, I dont even think about the fork, it does its job. Not as plush as the fox but hey no leaks. Takes a while to dial in but what fork doesnt. Any way worth the money to me, btw I'm usually weighing in at 185-190, so dont let the light wieght of fork scare you.

Similar Products Used: Rock shox Judy.. hehe back in the day.. fox
Mike   Cross Country Rider [Sep 08, 2005]
Strength:

Stiff, Adjustable

Maybe set-up, but no more than most other forks

This is a follow up to my review below:

I've riden this fork across the western half of the US, to include Moab, UT and Durango, CO.

First of all, it took some time to dial in the fork. Specifically, getting it to compress far enough and still pop back up to 5 inches of travel without having to hold a wheelie for two or three seconds. I still need to release most of the weight up front to get it to return, but it's not difficult at all.

The ride seams plush to me, and it is noticably stiffer than my old SID (that might not be saying much). Bottom line here is it is a nice ride and bottoming out wasn't much of a problem, even on really rough downhill areas.

I think I am liking the platinum more and more. The ability to compress the fork doesn't help so much with the bobbing (it still has about 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches of travel even when locked down) as it does with the overall geometry. With the front end lower, I can get better traction and momentum while climbing. It took me a while to notice it, and it's possible that it's in my head, but I am certainly VERY satisfied with the fork.