Manitou Nixon Platinum 2005 Front Shocks

Nixon Platinum

Here it is - the top of Manitou's new Nixon long-travel trailbike lineup - the Platinum. It offers the newest and best technologies currently available in the suspension market. First up is the new IT (infinite travel) adjust system, that lets you dial in the travel via a handlebar mounted remote. If that wasn't enough, you also get Manitou's SPV Evolve stable platform technology.

Travis   Downhiller [May 15, 2011]

I would highly recommend avoiding this product. It worked for about two weeks and then completely failed. Good luck getting help from Manitou.

If anyone has a fix for the fork please let me know. At the moment it is collecting dust. I would sell it however I feel like I would be ripping off the buyer. Even at $1.

BlackSCRunner   Weekend Warrior [Aug 06, 2009]
Strength:

Lighweight, cheap as long as you don't pay more than 1/3 MSRP! Rides very nice, with the right pressure it is very efficient, but still travels nicely over the big stuff, good amount of travel, beefy stantions.

Unreliable

I loved this fork when I got it, and for several years of relatively infrequent use, and no big drops or bad crashes. At the beginning of this summer on my first ride out it sunk to the bottom of the travel and wouldn't come back up. It's still holding pressure but has no compression or rebound...must be some interior seal blown or something. Knowing this (and it's unreliable rep) I wouldn't even pay $300 for it again. So here's what I did. I bought a used Marz drop off cheap and bolted it on to get back riding. It works well, I don't like the action (or the weight) as much as the Nixon, but it has a rep for being bulletproof. Then I scoured craigslist, ebay, and online closeouts for a good deal on a FOX, which I hear is the best. No such luck! Even used these things are $$$$$! So I ended up getting a nice deal on a brand new Nixon, and bought another one. I figure it would have cost me as much to send mine out for repair. So now I have the new Nixon, waiting for install, and the Zoke on there now. When I remove the zoke I will keep it as a backup (I missed a lot of riding due to this) and I will cross my fingers the Nixon lasts. Also I will attempt to rebuild my old Nixon, and in doing so learn the workings, so if/when the new one bites it I have some knowledge to take care of it quickly (I hope). Anyway, the moral of the story is, If I started off buying a more expensive, more reliable fork, I probably would have spent the same money, and less time. So if this is you, I would do this...UNLESS you can get a killer deal on one of these, then it's worth the gamble, but keep a backup...just in case. I hope this is helpful to some folks!

Similar Products Used: Manitou Splice, Marzocchi Drop Off
4barlinkage   Weekend Warrior [Dec 14, 2008]
Strength:

Doesn't pack down under heavy braking on bumps. Rigid design structure. Handles big hits well (when set up properly). Light weight for the travel and adjustments you have.

Harsher ride compared to non-platform damped forks; so you lose small bump sensitivity. Dirt tends to get into the IT chamber of the fork leg and cause travel problems, (easy to remove and clean though and you're sorted.

Great working fork that rides smooth, soaks up big hits(Need to ride aggressively), Doesn't bob on out of the saddle efforts, with the travel all the way down you can ride up almost impossibly steep uphills without swerving around. I had initial problems with the IT adjustment packing down on normal riding, but this was quickly sorted out by the local distributer and has been perfect since. This fork is ideal for aggressive riders who like to throw their bikes around on their favourite trails. My rides comprise mostly dry, dusty and pretty rocky conditions. But these forks have seen plenty mud and water as well. For interest,I'm 160lb's. Would be 5 chilis overall if I didn't have initial IT problem, as well as if it was a little more forgiving on small bumps. Some of the complaints people voiced about these forks are easy to sort out. If your SPV pressure is too low = Harsh fork top out; If your travel packs down under normal riding = Your IT cable may not have enough slack (Holding the valve slightly open); The gear cable running from the leg to the IT lever may be too short/tight or may have drag in it causing resistance to the inner cable so that it can't close off the valve. I had this problem after a year of riding; Replaced inner and housing = Problem solved.

Similar Products Used: Manitou Axel, Manitou Minute 2 , Pace Forks.
jbacaster   Weekend Warrior [Jul 25, 2008]
Strength:

There are no shortages of ways to adjust this fork, it has fairly good small bump response and IT is a great concept. It is also stiff considering the travel and no through axle.

Poorly made, extremely unreliable, and not the easiest fork to set up. It weighs a lot for an air sprung fork and is poorly designed. I think the "tire clearance upgrade" is evidence enough of this.

I can't tell what Manitou was thinking here. This is a poorly made, poorly designed fork, period. It does not have the claimed travel because Manitou had to modify so the tire wouldn't hit the crown a flip you.I guess if you are a gambler you can gable that you will get a good example of this fork, but a better idea would be to stay away! Maybe if no one buys this Manitou's junk for a few years they will go out of business and the world will be better for it. It didn't cost much, unless you consider the lost time and energy spent trying to deal with this thing, in which case I would say it cost me hugely. I am switching back to Fox in spite of the cost and will never consider Manitou again...

Similar Products Used: Many Fox, and Rock Shox forks and a few Marzocchi forks.
Dan Overman   Cross Country Rider [Oct 02, 2005]
Strength:

Takes big hits 1'+ well once set up. Light weight, good travel.

Fork is the harshest thing I have ever ridden. Fork will work you into submission on 2 hour hard trail rides.

Spent $3300 on a giant reign 1 with the nixon platinum. Didn't have problems with the IT system. But spent all summer trying to dial in the nixon so it could be somewhere in between a good mild drop bike and plush on the trails. Never could find plush until I dropped another $750 on my new Fox 36 van r which is oh so plush and now I have the most awesome all mountain bike on planet. P.S. Would put the nixon on e-bay but I'm to embarrassed to sell it to anyone-what a hunk of chunk!

Similar Products Used: Fox 36 van r, Fox float
Martin   Weekend Warrior [Apr 11, 2006]
Strength:

Does the job
Light weight- same weight as my 4 inch mx pro

None so far

The bike is an ex demo/ rental bike from the hub in the forest in Glentress. Its had a hard life and i guess all the initial niggles that people have had were already sorted before I got the forks.

I have had to service them, this took me about 4 hours plus traipsing about buying tools, but now its been done they are great. After 36 rides round glentress they only had mild discolouration of the semi bath oil and the spv oil was totaly fresh. Glentress is a harsh place for bikes and a hire bike is going to get thrashed there, so this is great going.

They hoover up the trail dead well. They don't quite the magic carpet ride of my mx pros, but neither do they bob like mad or bottom out on jumps. With the tire clearance upgrade (which is two little rubbery washers stuck in the bottom of the forks, very high teck!) they get about 135mm of travel and will use it very well.

Get some used (not abused) ones that have had their problems sorted and they will serve you well! They get 5 chillis for value as the bike was half price- only twice the price of the forks!

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi MX pro, Junior t, Z4, Rock shock Judy, Mantinou Magnum
William Wilson   Cross Country Rider [Sep 21, 2005]
Strength:

Stiff, Light, easy to adjust travel.

Rebound dampening failed after first ride. It topped out with a hard clunk and bounced around like crazy. Traded it out for a Fox Talas. Lost an inch of travel but at least I can depend on Fox.

Would have been a great shock if it worked. Manitou really blew it with this one.

GK   [Mar 13, 2006]
Strength:

Very tunable.
The black one looks good.
Lightest 6in fork out there.
Great price compared to Fox or Marzocchi.

It should have worked right out of the box. Other than that, it is a great fork.

When the fork was first installed, I tested it and noticed that when the travel was reduced, it would slowly creep back to full extension. Otherwise, it worked. I rode it that way for a little while and found that keeping my weight over the front kept the fork from creeping. After about two weeks, I decided to take it back to the LBS. They shipped it out and two weeks later, it came back. Luckily, I still had my old Minute 3 to ride while it was gone.

Once it came back, I re-installed it and tested it out again. At first, it did not work at all. In fact it fell through all of its travel because it was loosing all of its air. I re-aired it a couple of times and jumped up and down on it a bunch. Turns out the seals just had to seat. It has been working as advertised since then.

All of that aside, it has been doing great. It is perfect for the person who wants something light with long legs. the tuning is not as bad as people think. Start with the main spring and set it until you sag the appropiate amount (everyone likes it a little different). Then, if you want it to be really supple, set the SPV to about 50psi. Increase PSV until it stops bobbing enough for you. Then Set rebound as fast as possible, then back it off a quarter turn. From there, you should be set.

The IT feature is great if you have an adjustable travel rear end or if your bike does not have the geometry to really compliment the long stroke.

Overall, it works great or just jammin' along tame singletrack one day where efficiecy is key and turning around the next day to take small to moderate drops with plushness.

Dropping one chili since it did not work out of the box.

Similar Products Used: 2004 Minute 3
Andy   Cross Country Rider [Jan 06, 2007]
Strength:

Smooth tuneable fork. When working, is amazing.

One of the poorest QC situations ever. Should have automatic replacement policy or recall.

Piece of poo. Answer should apoligize to everyone that spent money on something so obviously flawed and then offer a new free fork. I worked for years in a bike shop and this a disaster!!! If I could give a negative flaming turd I would.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox, Fox, Marzzochi.
Paul Rintoule   Weekend Warrior [Feb 13, 2006]
Strength:

Absorb big hits. ITC (infinite travel is a boon given the steep short hills here. SPV works well with enough pressure.

ITC and SPV failed at separate times. Not super plush over small bumps.

I got pretty close to the first production forks. At different times faults developed in both the ITC and SPV features. Manly Cycles and Manitou gave great after sales service and as quickly as possible repared/ replaced the faulty components. Haven't had trouble since. I find ITC really useful around Sydney with the short but very steep hills. It really does stop you lifting the front wheel off the ground. Sure these aren't slushy soft over small bumps but the SPV works well and and they soak up the bigger hits well. Now they have settled down I am a very happy camper.