Manitou Nixon Elite 2005 Front Shocks

Manitou Nixon Elite 2005 Front Shocks

Nixon is Manitou's new fork lineup for long-travel trailbikes. The Elite offers 115-145mm of travel, adjustable via the Rapid Travel Wind Down system. You get a new for '05 Reverse Arch casting, hollow black-satin crown, and 32mm aluminum stanchions for incredible stiffness. Manitou's proven TPC setup handles the damping duties.

[May 11, 2011]
aaron042671

Strength:

semi-light, lots of travel(145mm), adjustable(comp.reb.travel adj.)

uncertainty about reliability. nothing else

bottom line is i feel these forks are good for amount paid compared to marzocchi z1, drop off or all mnt.. fox is just too exp., rock shox is either really cheap or really expensive

sr duro d

[Sep 20, 2007]
raphael

Strength:

adjusts well, travels well

a bit noisy

great buy

marozocchi jr. t, marozocci 66, manitou black

[Aug 16, 2007]
Damon Hambruch

Strength:

Works great for the kind of riding I do.

Having the adjustable ride hight does not work the best. I think it broke awhile ago and now I at set for long travel.

The shock works great for me. I ride all different types of trails and terrain. It work good on average trails and when I get into the more aggressive the shock takes the abuse. I weigh 175 and it handles everything I through at it. I would recommend the shock to anyone.

Just other friends bikes with other shocks. Don't remember what they are.

[Jan 22, 2006]
Fred

Strength:

Smooooth, Stiff, Easy to adjust

None so far

I weigh 255#. After Initial breakin set up had to be tweaked then I almost forget it's there. RTWD is kind of a pain in the A$$ but it is better than none at all. Obviously i had to change the spring ,anyone who weighs over 150# & thinks the stock spring is going to do the job Has not read the specs. I tollerate Climbs to blast the DOWNHILLS. (BearCreek 7.5 mi up 7.5 mi down lots of rocks water bars & creeks) This fork performs great.
Do your homework install the proper springs learn how to adjust the fork and you will be more than happy with this fork.

Z1 CR

[Nov 13, 2006]
dawid cymerman

Strength:

Very stiff (through-axie version), plush, great small bump compliance... it's actually very light, for how strong it is and how much travel it has. Mine weighs 4.25 pounds with the through-axle...

Wish it had some kind of on the fly adjustment... the rebound and compression adjustment knob labels are counter-intuitive. Turning the rebound dial towards "more" gives less rebound. Maybe it's just the fork that I got? It's no big deal, though.

I weigh 164 before dinner... and the factory springs work great for me. I ride mostly in the lowest travel setting for off road climbing purposes, but love the plushness of the full 145mm when in the city... wish the fork had a quick way of adjusting travel for off road purposes, but I heard the system Manitou currently employs sucks...

The fork has taken moderate abuse (all kinds of drops up to 5 feet and lots of up and down stair riding) almost every day for a year now, yet it keeps performing wonderfully with occassional stanchion greasing (no disassembly). I also use Lizard Skins to protect the seals.

I feel like this fork has saved my @$$ more than once due to its stiffness and shock absorbancy.

There are no doubt better forks out there, but for under $300 I have yet to find a better price/value ratio.

Manitou Black, Manitou Axel Comp, Marzocchi CR Z1...

[Sep 28, 2006]
duane

Strength:

plush, absorbs trail bumps without equal.

does not have the travel it claims, too plush sometimes, brake dive.

this is a follow up review, after 1 year of riding, I have beat on this fork over and over and the travel stops at 4 inches.I ordered a stiffer spring because it was a little too plush,but i have to agree with the guy below who says the tire clearance upgrade is just some kind of plug that prevents getting full travel.this is a great 4 inch travel fork but shame on manitou for lying and selling it as 145 mm's! I am removing some chili's for that and switching to a z-1 from marzocchi.shame,shame,shame...

lots

[Oct 11, 2006]
Erik Kellison

Strength:

Lightweight
Great TPC+ Damping
No tools 20mm axle
Plush out of the box, virtually no break in period
Affordable
RTWD system does not require a shock pump to adjust
Low stack height
Ano Al knobs are easy to turn
Adjustments make a noticeable difference

None so far!

I am reviewing the '06 Nixon Elite.
I heard that the '05 sucked, but that they fixed the problems, and I am now convinced that they really did.
None of the problems I have read about, such as not getting full travel, adjustments not working, damping being of poor quality, etc. do not apply to the 2006 model. This thing is very similar to my Dorado, which also had TPC+ damping (the '05 Nixon's had plain old TPC), and they feel very similar. The compression adjustment doesn't do much when you're just jumping on the fork, but it makes a difference when you're riding. I have the knob somewhere in the middle, as well as the rebound. All in, the fork is difficult to move past half travel, and the rebound, the fork pretty much stays down (though it's not meant to be a lockout). All out rebound, the fork is a pogo stick. The adjustments work! As for travel, I get all 145mm - I measured. This thing is about a pound lighter than the Marzocchi Z1 Light that I was considering, and at what I paid, well less than half the price. Ridiculous! How can you go wrong? I am thinking that the fork may need a stiffer spring in one leg, but that's because I'm fat, and no fault of the manufacturer.
The small bump performance and sensitivity is amazing, and the fork has not bottomed on me yet (harshly at least, but I have gotten 145mm of movement out of it).
I really can't imagine a better 6" single crown. Well, I guess it bobs on the climbs, but I don't care at all. Not only am I not riding for the uphill, but one doesn't lose much efficiency if the fork bobs, as longs as one stays seated while pedaling (it's the rear that matters for efficiency). I like the fact that the fork's sensitivity to small things such as roots and rocks on the way up allow it to roll perfectly without wandering or bouncing.
This fork is money. Buy it. I can't believe they still have them in stock at JensonUSA for $250 a pop. Ridiculous.
Oh, you should buy this fork if you like trail riding, all mountain riding, XC riding or light freeriding (no hucks over 10'). You should not buy this fork if you're a huckmaster, a hardcore DH'er, or a weight weenie XC'er who's gonna gripe about the fact that the plush travel allows the fork to bob a little. I say screw platform damping, it's what gave Manitou's (SPV) such a bad rep anyway!

2002 Marzocchi Z1 Freeride
'03 Dorado, '06 888RC2X, '03 Super T

[Dec 29, 2005]
Maciek

Strength:

* mamazing stifness
* great damping and work
* can be easily tiuned ;)
* lo weight

* adjustments doesnt seem to effect much on how fork works

This is review for comp 145mm version. I tuned it to 110 mm. Stifness is amazing, damping works great - soaks everything. I simply love it.

* black, psylo, dj 3 (tested only)

[May 15, 2007]
Jesse

Strength:

Would probably be good for a lighter rider

Spring, not air, so the adjustability for riders of different weights is weak.

I have not been impressed with this fork. Riding at 210 pounds I have found this fork to be ineffective. I ride quite hard and adjusting the rebound and damping does not make any change. The fork has adjustable travel but when the compression is set to anything other then max, one hard hit will bottom out the travel. So heading down the trail with the travel maxed out, one hard hit will change the travel setting to the lowest. I am switching over to air.

Manituou Black

[Jul 06, 2005]
brad taylor

Strength:

responsive to bumps

too plush! even with the stiffest spring the fork bottoms out in the parking lot with little resistance.

the fork was sent back to manitou twice for further adjustment to no avail. each time after riding for five minutes in the parking lot the fork bottomed out. on the trail the fork felt extremely sluggish. i went through every bit of the 145mm of travel on the smallest of drops in Florida mtb riding. i can't imagine using this fork where i live in colorado. also the damping adjustment on the fork was an absolute joke. i couldn't tell the slightest of changes with any manual adjustment or any adjustment manitou made with the fork. at the bike shop where i purchase the fork, noone could tell the slightest change in resistance even after manitou had sent the fork back after the second time. however i will say this, if you're ever in tampa and need some bike assistance see carrollwood bicycle emporium. i purchased this fork and my bike there and they have always been treated exceptionally well. they helped me sell this fork and i purchased a fox talas from them. if you want an outstanding all mountain fork do yourself a favor and buy a fox and buy from a great shop like carrollwood bicycle emporium.

fox vanilla 130 rl, fox talas 130 rlc, manitou minute 1