Manitou Minute Three 2005 Front Shocks

Manitou Minute Three 2005 Front Shocks

The '04 Minute was awarded Bicycling Magazine's 2004 "Editors' Choice" award for "Best all-purpose suspension fork", and we expect no less from the new '05. Minute 3 is the top-end of the Minute line, and for '05 Manitou has added their IT (infinite travel) remote travel adjuster, that lets you dial in from 130mm to 0mm of travel, on the fly. It's perfect for "all-mountain" type rides where you encounter widely varying terrain.

[Feb 22, 2012]
winsail

Strength:

It does what it's supposed to do and it's very adjustable

It has too many options, You could spend every ride adjusting it

Can't go wrong with this fork, It's light, very adjustable and it works. You can also pick these up cheap on e-bay or craigslist. It is great for what it is. A very adjustable 9mm dropout straight 1 1/8 inch steerer fork. It also fits 650b wheels.

Fox Vanilla 130mm fork, Fox Float R 130mm, Manitou Minute 3, Marzochi

[Apr 10, 2006]
Don

Strength:

Super Durable, Travel Adjustment is awesome and impresses everyone.

No Lock Out, Expensive.

After a full year of intense beating, this shock has proven itself completely. It has a ton of scrapes and been through a few crashes, but everything still works great.

The Minute 3:00 is perfect for anyone who likes to go up steep stuff and still be able to go *down* the steep stuff too. The travel adjustment is not a gimmick, I use it almost every ride. With the help of this fork I have cleaned Moore Fun, the wicked descent into Horsethief Bench, and Porcupine (except that last 4 foot drop into hell).

Porcupine is a great example of where this fork is useful. For the first three miles(uphill), the travel is set around 100mm so you can clean all the technical ups. After that the travel goes all the way out to 130. For the remaining steep ups (There are two or three), just hit the lever and the bike goes back into "climb anything" mode.

I've also cleaned every obstacle on Slickrock, even going the "harder way" on the main loop. The travel adjustment is nice for the steepest uphill stuff on that trail, almost feels like I'm cheating. :)

After slamming the travel down and finishing an uphill obstacle, I do usually stop to extend the travel, to be sure it is where I want it. It is tough to know where the travel is unless you stop and look.

The only problem I've had with the IT is that recently the shock doesn't extend completely unless I reach down and extend the lowers down while holding the IT lever. I haven't done any maintenance on the fork yet, and I'm sure it just needs to be cleaned and regreased (I'm not great about cleaning the stanchion tubes after each ride).

The best thing about the on-the-fly travel adjustment is that if you run up to a huge hill, you just hit the lever and slam down the fork. The front wheel will not wander and you can just focus on climbing.

I've ended up keeping just a minimum pressure in the SPV chamber, about 50 lbs. It's just enough to keep it from bobbing on the roads and smooth climbs, I like a real active fork.

I've also run the rebound barely above minimum. So freakin' plush.

Bottom Line: This fork is for those who want to clean the steep ups *and* steep downs.

Manitou Black 120

[Aug 28, 2007]
bgkorekom

Strength:

versatile, light, durable

non so far

I bought it for Chicago trails, where I have not utilized all of the feature, but I moved in Colorado year and half ago and I swear in this fork. I would drop it down to 80 for climbing and pump it up to 130 for downhill and I love it. It gives me more stability downhill and more power on the clibing.

Strongly recommended especially if you have rapidly changing terrain.

maniou axel

[Sep 21, 2005]
Chris Yerka

Strength:

Super adjustable thanks to the IT (Infinite Travel), light for a full 5", integrated graphics, plush for air but with a stiffness that is appreciated when rippin' out of a narrow canyon.

The gold nob for the IT could be a sweet black. Can seem a bit soft for larger drops/jumps. The air valve on the right arm is a bit recessed and some cheaper shock pumps just can't get in there to connect and seal. Be sure your pump has a smaller end on it.

If you are looking for a true "all-mountain" ride, this is as good as it gets. The IT lets you drop out your geometry and climb like an F-16 and then with the push of a button (and maybe a bit of a pull on the bars if you are really running soft) you are back to the full travel for the next downhill. Great lateral strength keeps you tracking down the trail and not over your bars or in the sage brush. This would also be exceptional for marathon racing wieghing in just under 4lbs, it is responsive and easy on the hands. I have hit some 4' drops and it takes them, but even for me wieghing in at just over a buck-n-a-half, it's gotta really be pumped up to hold from bottoming out. Not a free-ride/downhiller, but a very solid all mountain/xc battle ship. Four chilis for rediculous retail price, but if your up to footin' it or find a deal, 5 for overall beauty.

Fox Vanilla R, R.S. Psylo U-Turn, 'Zocchi Marathon S, ect.

[Jun 20, 2007]
Matamua

Strength:

Super stiff, light weight, SPV platform is rad, travel, looks cool.

No manual lockout, but with the SPV, who really needs it anyway? Crappy owners manual.

Bottom line = awesome. For the money I would buy this all day long over the talas. My dad has a stumpy expert with the talas, and sure it is a superior fork, but not $500 superior. So far, I love it. If anything changes, I will post a new review. The owner's manual sucks, and setting sag/pressures (both spv and regular) is a little tricky. I am 6'1" and 210lbs, and I am running about 110psi in the main chamber, and 50psi in the SPV. It works well for me, but it I like less SPV, and more plush feel.

Fox Talas RLC 32 140mm

[Jun 15, 2006]
Evan Ferguson

Strength:

Lightweight, PLUSH!!!!, everything is a strength they even look killer.

Uhm, they make everyone want to steal them.

This fork is amazing. When I first got it, it was a little hard to dial in the air pressure, but like everyone else says, once it's done it's great. I rode this fork on a tight technical singletrack in Illinois and was a little frustrated with how long it was and had to lower the travel a bit. When I took it to Fruita and Moab though on faster, rougher, bigger stuff it was AMAZING. I can't say enough good things about this fork. I had an internal problem with it once, but Manitou sent ALL new internals within a week and it's better than ever. It soaked up 2ft drops at porcupine rim without a hiccup, landings were so soft. It let me plow through rocky corners with speed that would normaly frighten me. I was keeping up with a FOES FXR and a Santa Cruz Blur on my hardtail NO problem at Moab, this fork is truly amazing, and for the price... it CAN NOT be beat, even Fox forks have nothing on this plush beast.

Fox Float100, Manitou Black Super Air 120s

[Jun 12, 2006]
Tim

Strength:

Easy setup, IT switch, Smooth travel

A little flex, but I am fat.

Just switched from the Firefly to the Minute 3, spent the last 4 days in Vermont on single track, climbed both Mount snow and Killington and also rode the lift at Mount snow and rode every trail at the place. Fork handled everything great!! The IT switch made the climbing easy and the fork handled the DH trails just fine. Great all around fork, and for what I paid for it should get 6 flaming chilis!!

Marz Marathon, Manitou Firefly

[May 16, 2006]
Orange Oyster

Strength:

SPV Evolve, travel ajustment, reverse arch, graphics, finishing quality...aluminum knobs, everything????

should there be any??? no way!

it is just stunning. this fork rulez! what th heck for i need a lock-out if is have a "smart" suspension? the SPV Evolve is a bit hard to set correctly, but after its done it work flalessly. I own a manitou minute 2004 with IT. As soon as the distributor gets the 2004 minute 04 i will upgrade it! never want rock sucks or fox again!
Buy it, and be happy, just be sure it has infinite travel and spv evolve platform!!!

all kinds of rock shox, fox, rst from all levels!

[May 08, 2006]
Nevin Rallis

Strength:

the IT is crazy, keeps the bike tracking where you point it.

none so far

Well this jump from the pilot to this fork was amazing. The first time I rode it on a trail it felt like I was gliding over everything. The combination between the awesome leader suspension design and the fork worked awesomely. When the going goes up all you have to do is push the lever and push on the front of the bike. After that you are low enough to climb anything. When it is fully loaded it handles any bump that I am courageous enough to try. So far no complaints.

rock shock pilot

[May 10, 2007]
John

Strength:

Excellent stiffness to weight ratio, plush and IT travel adjuster works wonders on the trail

A bit complicated to setup and rebound knob is difficult to adjust. No response from Manitou to tech question sent via e-mail

All in all a great performing fork with outstanding stiffness for it's weight. I ride some very rocky technical trails where picking the right line and momentum are critical to staying upright. Well the Minute holds it's line, never seems to bottom out and easily handles the pounding. I can't praise the IT adjuster enough for convenience while riding. Set it up properly on your handle bar and you can change travel instantly and without ever having to stop to turn a knob or flip a switch. A great feature if you are looking to do some epic all-day rides with lots of climbing as well as decending. My only complaint is that after 1+ seasons of weekly technical riding I started to get a knocking sound on rebound. I contacted Manitou via their website/tech support and never received an answer! In today's era of e-mail communication and web support, no response to customer inquiries is unacceptable. As it turns out, days earlier I had tried a different setting on the fork, and when I returned it to the original settings the knocking went away. Let's hope it lasts. If not for the poor customer service it would have received a 5 chili overall rating. If you are looking for a relatively light fork that can handle the decents almost as well as the climbs, then you can't go wrong with the Minute 3. Looking for a fork to handle all your drops and stunts, than I'd suggest something a bit beefier and w/coils springs. Cheers and happy trails!

RockShok Phylo