Manitou Black Platinum Air IT 2005 Front Shocks

Manitou Black Platinum Air IT 2005 Front Shocks

The top-of-the-line Black gets a sweet new feature for '05 - Manitou's new IT (infinite travel) system. With IT, the rider can adjust the fork's travel via a handlebar mounted lever, so it's perfect for use on a variety of terrain. You get a proven and reliable Reverse Arch casting, Evil Genius seals, and TPC damping with a lockout lever for pure climbing performance.

[Apr 13, 2006]
cameron

Strength:

Its a fork

Pretty much everything, its not even plush at all. Does'nt absorb any rocks except big ones. And yes i do have it set up right.

buy a fox

Anything that rides like crap

[Sep 12, 2007]
Ian Hatton

Strength:

Adjustable travel
Lock Out
V-brake mounts
Decent feel, not insanely plush but at the same point, it isn't flimsy

Had to send it in to have a line replaced, it had a slow leak. Nothing terribly bad, but it was consistant. It looks like they got it taken care of this time though.

It's a nice fork, nothing mind blowing. But never the less, nice. Got it for an awesome price. Way lighter then any of the other stuff that was at that price point when I got it.

An Rst pogo stick piece of crap

[Mar 05, 2006]
Fred

Strength:

i am not a pro the only thing is that the travel settings and the lock out are great and

i find it like the switches are going to break caus they are made of plastic

i like

none i hade a judy xc befor

[May 06, 2007]
Steven Salmons

Strength:

Lightweight, reasonably stiff, smooth travel, easy adjustments, good looks

post mounts?

This is one sweet fork for 250 bucks (mine is 120mm travel w/SPV). It is stiffer than SID with longer travel but 1/2 pound heavier. The adjustments are easy to make and you can feel a big difference. I do not have the IT mine has the SPV which is very cool too. The only complaint one might have is the post mounts because you need adapters for a lot of brakes, buy I actually prefer the post mount over IS.

Manitou Axel Comp (stock fork)

[Dec 04, 2006]
Dylan Sutton

Strength:

Reasonably stiff, and lightweight for the travel. IT is fantastic feature for climbing, wish my '07 Float 140's on my new Giant Reign had something similar to make it easier to keep the front wheel down on steep climbs. Have had none of the IT problems others mention.
Service from Greenfish was outstanding.

Not as plush as some, but doesn't seem to affect real world performance. Can leak oil if bike stored upside down (so I don't!). Compression damping/lockout lever action is too light, have had the fork lockout accidentally after being flicked by branches on narrow singletrack. Have filed end off lever so it doesn't stick out past the fork leg to stop this happening again. Substandard paint finish and plastic rebound/compression levers feel cheap (but hey, this closeout OEM model WAS cheap!) but don't affect performance.

The Black Platinums with IT let me ride my XC hardtail down steeper, rockier trails than was practical with the original 80mm race forks, without sacrificing climbing performance. They offer a good level of stiffness, tuning and performance, and the closeout price was unbeatable value. I mostly use the IT either fully extended or dropped down to about 1" travel, perhaps because the trails around here are always up or down. Maybe the in-between travel settings would be more useful on flatter terrain, but having only 2 positions would suit me fine.

Manitou Mars Elite 80mm ('02 model), Fox Vanilla 125 RL, '07 Fox Float RL 140mm, old Marzocchi air forks with about 60mm travel.

[Sep 15, 2006]
Oswald

Strength:

Versatile, light, lockout, IT

IT switch, flexy

The fork is versatile. The IT works well: good for climbing and descending. But I don't like the way the IT switch works. Leaning back isn't sufficient to extend the fork to full travel, you actually have to pop a wheely. When you've been racing for 3 hours and have 2 more hours to go, popping a wheely after every long climb can cause cramps. Instead of an IT switch, a remote lock out would be better. The travel should be controlled by a U turn switch like RS has...
The fork is also very flexy when cornering and under heavy braking.
I can't figure out how to increase the compression. I have the red knob turned clockwise all the way, but it is still way too plush for me. The air valve seems to control the IT switch. Apart from that there is only the rebound and compression knob. Manual isn't clear on this, Belgian sales rep has no idea and Manitou won't answer my mails...

Different forks

[Sep 10, 2006]
T Mayne

Strength:

vast amounts of tune-ability, IT remote, lockout, weight, intial setup. For as little as I have used it (a slow piece-by-piece buildup of a custom bike) the fork seems to perform well.

A rebound assembly oil leak that is hopefully going to be factory fixed due to the fact that I have put about 4 miles on the thing.

I hope that after answer fixes it I can put it through it paces and write more good and less bad about it....we shall see!

Manitou Magnum (dinosaur)

[Jun 29, 2006]
Brett Rivera

Strength:

It has all the goodies like Compression, Lockout, Damping, TPC Lockout, Rebound and travel. They all work very well.

These are great shocks with lots of adjustable things and have a pretty good price.

Manitou Mars, Manitou Axel, RockShox Judy and Marzocchi Dirt Jumper.

[Jan 06, 2006]
Chain Buster

Strength:

Light, stiff, great damping, tons of features. Love the IT that allows you to adjust from 80 to 120 mm travel at a flip of switch. Great value.

Plastic knob that controls the compression and lockout worries me, though has worked well so far and is easy to reach and adjust with a flic of a finger

I am an lightweight (140lb) cross country and trail rider. I love the climb as much as bombing downhill. This fork gives me the range of travel to fullfill my needs with confidence. I would drop the travel to 80 and lockout if it is not too rocky and pull up to 100-120 when I need to make big clearance (to protect the crank) or when I start my downhill. It takes a little practice to work the IT switch when you want to remain seated. Cornering with this fork is great compared to rockshox. Because I am light, I do not need such a beefy fork. Wear and tear on this fork cannot be assessed yet, but confident in its construction.

Rockshox, RST

[Aug 28, 2006]
Mike

Strength:

IT remote, takes a beating

Leaked a little oil once, but no problems at all.

Love it. I'm a 215lb beginner, and this fork saved my ass at least a few times. The IT remote helps a TON on climbs. You can drop the travel down to almost nothing, giving you better positioning for really steep climbs, then pop it back out to full travel, or any point in between. It works like a pneumatic office chair. It handled stuff I never thought it would, especially with my weight behind it. It gave me more confidence, and I tried bigger and better descents and drops. It handled EVERYTHING I threw at it beautifully. Highly recommended. Don't know much about the price, but all chili's are due.

Rock Shox, if that's at all similar