Fox Shox Vanilla RLC 130 2005 Front Shocks

Vanilla RLC 130

2005 Vanilla Forx now offer disc-only castings! Enjoy 130mm of travel (internally convertible to 100mm) on one of the stiffest , most precise forks around.

The top-of-the-Vanilla-line RLC offers maximum adjustability, with a 12 click rebound damper, lockout, low-speed compression damping, and adjustable blow-off threshold. They're a snap to tune to match your riding style. Patented scraper-lip seals that keep oil in and debris out, ensuring the longevity and performance of your fork. 2005 Vanilla's feature a new, slim damper cartridge that helps eliminate cavitation and allows a wider adjustment range. The new cartridge saves 30 grams over '04 forks.

roadrash56   Downhiller [Apr 25, 2009]
Strength:

everything is perfect for the way i ride!!!!

absolutly NONE!!!!!

THE FORKS ARE AMAZING!!!!!

Similar Products Used: x fusion velvet and bombers
Juan Mateo   Weekend Warrior [Feb 03, 2006]
Strength:

Can you say PLUSH!!! Super stiff, stiction free, easily adjustable, low maintenance...the list goes on

NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

One word describes this fork - AWESOME! I bought my bike from Richard's Bicycles who swapped out the Talas R for the Vanilla RLC...this was by request b/c I wanted a plush ride over adjustability.

Similar Products Used: '00 Manitou Mars C (Should've used a rigid fork to save the weight b/c this thing sucked)
Will   Racer [Nov 20, 2006]
Strength:

Light, smooth, durable, adjustments work well, robust, smooth, stiff. Does not have Terralogic. I wish my downhill fork worked as well.

After over 2 years and several thousand miles of hard off road riding (it has out lived 2 frames), this fork still functions well. So far I've had to send it in because the bushings were a bit loose from the factory, they fixed it and I was riding it again in a couple weeks. I've replaced the seals once, and changed the oil maybe 6-7 times (they recommend 7.5 wt, 10wt works fine even in winter, don't use 5wt since the hydro-dynamic bushings don't seem to kick in). Recently, I've noticed that the bushings are initially a bit sticky, but still buttery smooth if you actually hit a bump (it still feels far better than terralogic forks, and is remarkably stable).

Similar Products Used: Psylo, Dorado
Bennett M.L. Sansbury   Weekend Warrior [Jan 25, 2006]
Strength:

Butter smooth, endless travel, and a new feeling on the front end thanks to the 32mm stancions (sp). My front end previously was fine, I thought I had control on certain sections but now w/ the stiffness the Vanilla offers it is amazing.

None so far.

If you have the option to purchase the Vanilla, DO IT. You will not be sorry. I am utterly speechless on the performance that the RLC has provided me on the trails. My previous fork was 64mm of travel and the Vanilla is 130mm, so I've got a massive geometery change, but it is still ok. I do alot more freeriding, downhill, all mountain riding (yes, on a hardtail) that I do plan ole' XC riding. Therefore the Vanilla fits right in. You can swap out the spacers to drop her to 100mm which is perfect for that weekend race.

I really can not say enough good things about the Vanilla. I wanted a full on mountain fork that would survive anything no matter where I ride to. The coil spring gives me better feel and butter smooth compression and rebound. Plus, I feel much safer about going out for several days on my bike w/ the coil spring compared to an air fork. The price was nice to! I am very happy w/ my purchase. Wonderful quality and excellent engineering.
Thanks FOX!

Similar Products Used: ROCK SHOX SID TEAM, 98' ROCK SHOX JUDY SL, 2003 JUDY
Joe   Weekend Warrior [Jan 24, 2006]
Strength:

Bombproof, smooth as silk, easy setup, all kinds of tuning options

None.

What a great riding fork! I've had 6 wrist surgeries to date (with hardware) and this fork has saved me from a life without riding. The coil spring is buttery smooth and if I had to taste it, it would be a creamy vanilla. I upgraded the spring (which comes with it) as I am over 200 lbs and haven't looked back since. I can't sing its praises enough. If you are heavy set, got a gimp wrist, or just want a bottomless feeling fork, give this one a try.

Similar Products Used: Rockshok Judy, Cannondale Lefty and Super Fatty
matt   [May 23, 2006]
Strength:

it's a great fork, smooth, adjustable, probably one of the stiffest forks thats a Quick release, has a clean look to it, 32mm stanchions are nice because anything smaller is obsolete and weak, never really had to have it serviced, well... for the internals. pretty damn light also

i broke the crown and luckly i've had it just under one year so i can have it replaced under warrantee

well.. it was a great fork for about 10 months and i bought it thinking all mountain and light freeride was as extreme as i was gonna get, but i got bored of that and started freeriding. Bad decision with a fork like this, it's good for occasional drops here and there and will do good for dirt jumping, but freeriding,,,NO. i got this fork cause when i was looking for forks i was a weight weenie and that decision has come back and slapped me in the face, i could have got a 150mm or 170mm travel but i was worried about that extra pound or 2 and thought i would need that much but now my fork stanchion is loose inside the crown and creaks and wiggles around, very nerve racking and right now it's not to bad i can still ride with it but if i keep riding like this for 1 more month it will bust, so i'm gonna send it in, I would give it a 4 but i know i should have not expected so much from a light weight fork.. that was my bad soo yeah, DON"T FREERIDE WITH IT and when i go to whistler with it fixed i'm really gonna hope it doesn't break again.

Similar Products Used: ... just think everything of anykind
Ben Anastasio   Cross Country Rider [May 19, 2006]
Strength:

Works flawlessly, it's a FOX fork, everything works

It is a coil shock, but it's super plush. A little difficult to get adjusted to the way you ride.

This fork might be "bottom line" for FOX, it might be coil shock, and it might be a little heavy, but it still is a great fork. It is super plush, and just works. Whatever you throw at it, it seems to keep up with and never lacks with rebound.

Similar Products Used: Fox Talas, Marzocci Marathon SL
Janne   Cross Country Rider [Jul 21, 2006]
Strength:

Very plush but still not bottoming. Rather light compared to other oil forks with same lenght. Amazingly stiff.

None yet.

Fork feels perfect for the 5-spot.

Similar Products Used: Reba Race, Marathon, Revelation, Black Elite
Rob   Weekend Warrior [Apr 28, 2006]
Strength:

all machined aluminum (hate plastic knobs), 32mm stancions, 1st inch of travel soaks up the annoying stuff 130 mm allows you to still have some fun

none known of yet

FYI - www.trails-edge.com has the 2006 Vanilla RLC w/free king headset for $490 + free shipping, LBS suggest $35 to install ($525)as of this posting

I asked LBS if they could match they came close ($560), and i prefer keep my money in the neighborhood, but figured there were others might find this info useful.

I am one of those clydes who uses his bullit for everything, Vanilla RLC seems like a fit, i researched and most i spoke to said Zoke ETA is exciting at 1st but after a while set and leave, i figured use RLC lockout for climbs and let the 130mm soak up the XC / FR /DH's. I also my other option was Zoke AM1 or SL,

Has anyone run a 130mm fork on a Bullit? I set the nixon at 130 and rake seems fine but would like to hear from anyone who has run this, or simil;ar setup.

Similar Products Used: manitou nixon elite (too much bob), zoke OEM 80mm on 1999 hardtail (still a great fork)
Mark   Weekend Warrior [Jan 01, 2006]
Strength:

- Great quality engineering.
- Comes with three springs (rates).
- Rock solid and under 4 lbs.
- Lock-out and compression work very very well.
- Solid finish, hard to scratch.

- ZERO issues.

Buy one. Handleing is amazing. Saved by butt a few times rolling drop-offs, where I would have endoed with my Psylo.
Big stepup from RS.

All dials and adjustments work great. All aluminum knobs and controls. Nothing will break like Manitou Minute parts.

Also: Bought it from Blue Sky Cycling on-line. Good experience, as my first fork never arrived, they shipped a new one without question or hassle. Thanks to Eddie at Blue Sky for the great service!