Fox Shox Vanilla R 130 2005 Front Shocks

Fox Shox Vanilla R 130 2005 Front Shocks

The 2005 Vanilla line from Fox Racing Shox is ready, and the change you've requested most is finally here: disc-brake only lowers! Fox has dropped the V-brake bosses from the entire Vanilla line for '05. Also new for '05 is an extra 5mm of travel - these now come from the factory set to 130mm. They are internally convertible to 100mm, if the geometry of your bike calls for less travel.

The same great quality and attention to detail you've come to expect from Fox are still here - you get 12-click externally adjustable rebound damping, proprietary Fox oil seals with scraper lip technology to keep debris out and oil in, and proven magnesium lowers for unparalleled stiffness and rigidity for a difference you can feel when cornering. 2005 Vanilla's feature a new, slim damper cartridge that helps eliminate cavitation and allows a wider adjustment range. The new cartridge saves 30 grams over '04 forks.

[May 30, 2012]
finerbiner
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Smooth as can be. I have had this fork on my bike for 6 years. I only recently even considered it. For the first time I could hear it working. Upon further inspection, I noticed too much oil on the sanctions. After a bushing and seal replacement it is as good as new.

It does not have platform and will bob on climbs if you have to lay down some power.

If you race or want to be the fastest, this fork is not for you. Any other rider will love the simplicity and performance of this fork.

[Apr 10, 2006]
brian
Downhiller

Strength:

it is very good, and very ajustable, and comes with a soft spring and a stiff one

bottoms out too easily

this is a very good reliable fork. i used to have it and when the spring got loosened up a little, i took it to the bike shop and they switched the springs that i got with the fork and then it worked fine! the rebound ajustments are awesome and it is perfect for dirt jumping, cross country, and free ride- i did a 12 ft drop and it didnt even bottom out!

too many to name

[Sep 26, 2005]
Doug D
Downhiller

Strength:

good all around fork

springs come too soft for big drops and jumping.

good fork for beginers and x-country riders handles 4 ft without bodoming out. lots of pre-load and good for small bumps

mar. z1 (150) mar. 888

[Mar 23, 2006]
Petr Gromov

Strength:

easy

In we wash cases quality of assembly

After 1 month of use of a leg in trousers have strongly become loose. Condensation have deteriorated and a lot of oil has flowed out. I do not know about other such cases in Russia, imho it is my failure. The shop has returned money. Unfortunately after that I cannot trust a case to quality Fox.

Manitou Black Sport (2 year), Marzocchi AM II (1 year)

[Feb 23, 2006]
frank conrad

Strength:

this fork is by far the most adjustable fork for me. It is good for dirt jumping but the lip has to be big.

it comes a little soft even for me: I've bottomed it out countless times.Its bad for exterra jumps cause the shock just absords the lip.

this is a good shock and I suggest bying it.

my bros RLC

[May 31, 2007]
Aaron

Strength:

Light, stiff, fairly plush, nice CNC dials

no compression adjustment on a $400 fork?, typical Fox bushing play

Not a bad fork, certainly does the job. Swapped out the stock spring to a heavier one. Has been more reliable than my 2002 Vanilla that had to be sent back twice in a year. But, it still lacks the smoothness of other forks (Manitou's with TPC+ to be exact)in its class. Also, can Fox please offer a Vanilla RC! Would it kill them to offer compression adjustments w/o a unneeded lock-out? For $400, they need to offer at least this one extra adjustment.

2002 Fox Vanilla RLC, 2003 Manitou Black Elite, 2005 Manitou Sherman Flick Plus

[Sep 16, 2005]
Martin Matthews

Strength:

eats up everything ive gone over

none yet

i would recomend this to the lighter type of people becuz the things ive heard about bigger people having this fork it has a alot of flex and it snapped on me and stuff like that but otherwise its such a great fork if ur not a down hiller or a drop kinda guy then id get this if i were u its awesome

[Sep 24, 2006]
Adam

Strength:

Very Plush.

Only comes with light weight springs.

at first i was bottoming out a lot on big hits. i ordered the yellow spring and now i'm very satisfied with the forks performance. rides great and takes a beating. I highly recommend you use the correct spring for your weight or you WILL be bottoming out. and if you change the travel to 100mm you will need a heavier spring. I love this fork but i'm gonna take away a chillie for not providing us fatties (180lbs riders) a spring.

Manitou axel and six. both are junk

[Oct 23, 2005]
dan stephens

Strength:

smooth,light,and sexy

very weak and fragile

The fork was the best feeling ever. I was really impressed at first.Im a 165 pound bike courier who rides 5 days a week , 30 miles a day.I never crashed on this fork and I like to bunny hop gaps downtown, but I'm not an agressive rider.After 3 monthes the fork started to creak when I would turn. Then the rebond started to lock up and make loud scraping noises.I tryed to see if the oil was ok and the caps bent up easy. Then the rebound knob snapped off and I bearly twisted it.Fox is fixing it ,but they charged me 90 dollars for the caps and knob.They shound have just gave those parts to me free for my troubles.For 410 bucks the fork should have not broke down in 2.5 months.They are also hard to get on the phone and are asses. This fork is a pole smoker for the price.

manitou,marazochi

[Oct 22, 2005]
Ryan

Strength:

Plush ride, stiff, easy to adjust travel

Quality control, bad seals, no service

Purchased this fork to upgrade my Black Elite. Reduced the travel to 100mm to match the geometry of my Jamis Dakar frame. First ride I noticed this thing absorbs bumps great and I could take corners faster and with more confidence thanks to the stiffness of this fork. Unfortunately the damper locked up so rebound was constantly in the slowest mode, and the left seal started to spew oil, all after only ONE ride. All my calls to Fox for warranty service were directed to their voice mail box, to which the voice mail informed me that their box was full, and I was promptly disconnected after that. This happened every time I called. After reading the mtbr forums a bit more, it seems to me Fox has issues with quality control and service, and because of that I have lost out about 4 weeks of riding this season. In the end, I've returned the fork to Pricepoint and have a Marzocchi Marathon XC on order, with high hopes.

Manitou Black Elite