Fox Shox Talas RLC 130 2005 Front Shocks

Talas RLC 130

TALAS stands for "Travel Adjustable Linear Air Spring" - and that's exactly what they do: allow you to dial in the travel across a wide adjustment range without changing the spring rate. This feature makes the TALAS line ideal for "all-mountain" trailbike-type riding - turn down the travel for extended climbing, then crank it up when you hit the top.

For 2005, the TALAS line offers disc-only lowers, and an extra 5mm of travel - they now max out at 130mm. They've continued with some of the best features from '04 as well - super-stiff magnesium casting, 12-click externally adjustable rebound damping, and patented scraper-lip seals that keep oil in and debris out, ensuring the longevity and performance of your fork.

The RLC model adds a lockout on the top of the fork leg, with adjustable blow-off threshold to change the compression firmness while in lockout mode. There's also a 9-position, externally adjustable low speed compression damping clicker, making these the most tunable forks around.

Arwel   [May 19, 2012]
Strength:

Three settings, I use the lower myself, but I have had moments when the max had to be used, and it excelled. this shock has improved my personal confidence.

I hear a distant thudding when using the middle setting, could this be the damping incorrectly set up? it goes when I set it to low.

All in all I'm personally happy with the ride, but worried when I read other comments, i.e. that they don't last. I'll have to wait and see.

Jo   Cross Country Rider [Mar 20, 2006]
Strength:

2006 talas shock is improved over last years model now does travel 130mm and slow small bumps taken care of. best fork I've used, been through a lot of hassles with other forks, I'm a heavy guy 220 lbs and ride hard core winter time too. other shocks didn't like that too much, they were not all junk ones either rock shox ect. but hard to compare this one with the others this baby beats all. 3.93 lbs wow !!!

found air shader valve cover too small for my large saussage fingers but at least it dosen't have to come off too often, shock dosen't leak air so set it and forget it.

buy this baby it's the best fork out there for all round xc use and I'm pretty shure I'll be saying this again in a few months too come I ride a lot 19,000 kms in two yrs. My bikes don't get dusty from hangging in the garage they eat tires quicker than I can buy them. never thought i would be rating a fork that cost more than my first car but I can assure you it's worth every penny. if I could give it 10 chilis for each rating I would.

Similar Products Used: rock shocks, duke xc, sid, rlc, manitou stance,
Trevor M   Racer [Feb 11, 2006]
Strength:

Always plush, always works perfectly, very predictable steering characteristics, it's a FOX

You can never blame your bad riding on it.

I have had this fork on my 4X race bike for three years now. The paint has chiped, the stickers are torn, but the shock still performs perfectly. The adjustability, quality and stiffness of the fork really make it perfect for racing. I can adjust the angles on my bike to adapt to any course whether it be mostly big jumps and smoothe berms or flat/off camber and bummy. The only required maintenence with this fork is annual seal/bushing/lube replacing. it is an easy 30 minutes to an hour job and never a hassle.

The real plus to riding the fork is the above and beyond support that Fox and only Fox provides at the races. If there has ever been a problem with any of my Fox equiptment Fox didn't even hesitate to come to the rescue.

I would just like to say that the fork may be more expensive then the compitition but with the quality of the product, feather like weight, and the excellent support it is a hell of a deal and perfect for the avid trail rider, or Slalom/4X racer.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shock Psylo, Marzocci Bomber, Manapoo Black
Michael Lopez   Downhiller [Oct 25, 2006]
Strength:

Has a feel unlike any other fork in its class. You'd have to feel it personally to know what I'm talking about. Rediculously overwelmed with the best technology of its time.

None for two years.

The best 5 inch travel fork I've ever ridden for an all mountain/XC set up. It failed to shine in the freeride department(as claimed on website), but its really not intended for that... The technology is great; superior to anything currently on the market. It can be plush and supple, and stiff and firm with a blow off mech... just like that! To make things more interesting, the 07 forks are even better! By far the most superior forks on the market today (AT LEAST FOR RACE/ but not everything.)
All of Fox's line of forks are race forks... no entry level stuff, all high-end, so their forks aren't for everyone. A little note to all losers who bashed this fork because they cock-rodded their bikes until they corroded and broke, LEARN FROM IT! Don't bash a product just because your stupid. Common sense can go a long way.... remember that before you post a review that everyone's going to see and base their decision on.. Use this website for what it is for... REVIEWS, not frivilous wining by lack of a higher mental standing.......Thank you, have a nice day.

Similar Products Used: Manitou sherman, Fox Float, bla bla bla
Serg Koch   Weekend Warrior [Sep 12, 2006]
Strength:

Weight, stiffness,adjustability.

are U kidding.

This fork can handle everything and anything over rough terrain and rocks.With it u can ride and no worries about bottoming out, leaking or malfunction.U dial 90 mm and its CC fork, dial 130 mm and U get Fr fork so plush so stiff.Absolutely great work on loong descents and technical corners.So it is a great Fork for moderate freeride that u can quckly readjust and get Ccountry fork.

Buy it, its your fork!

Similar Products Used: RS Reba, Duke, Manitou splice.
Chris   Racer [Jun 19, 2006]
Strength:

Adjustability, looks, PLUSH, feel, you name it!

to many damn knobs. Read more below

this fork has so many knobs that its hard to kep them all straight. The lock out lever can be a pain in the butt sometimes, it likes to stick half way through turning it. I have to reset it about 3-4 times before it will go all the way. Also when turning the L/O lever with gloves on you also end up turning the blue bezel knob(I think its the high speed comp.)too. This thing has saved my behind more than once though. This fork is just Awsome!!! If this fork didnt come with the bike I definitly would have bought it to upgrade. The onlt thing you caould do to improve on this would be to send it to PUSH INDISTRIES and to put a break hose guide on it, which fox did for the 06 model.

Similar Products Used: ive used a manitou skarib elite on other bike (not nearly similar at all)
VMB VMB   Weekend Warrior [Jul 27, 2006]
Strength:

If it's working properly, it is a great fork, the issue is Fox Forks don't hold up over time (I've got a Fox TALAS on my Titus Super Moto and a Fox Float on my Titus Racer-X).

I've had this fork on my Super Moto 2 years now. It had to be rebuilt within the first year because all the adjustment knobs on the right leg didn't work.
In the second year, I had issues with the right side (travel adjust stopped working). LBS couldn't fix it, so called Fox. Fox's response was "here's a schematic, if you can't figure it out, send it back for rebuild".
Sorry, been there done that....I decided to have Push do the rebuild. After Push got the shock, they called to tell me the stanchions need to be replaced due to wear groves. Found out later this is because the factory bushings have too much play, so this creates flex and wear.

Besides the $255 for the Push rebuild, it was going to cost another $175 to replace the stanchions. So, rather than paying $430 for basically a used fork, I've decided to purchase a brand new Marzocchi All Mountain 1 (the 06 models are now being cleared out for $480.00). At least I'll have a two year warrenty.

The initial performance of this fork was good, however, I don't believe Fox Forks stand the test of time. They feel good in the showroom and for a short time on the trail, but for long term, they are problematic.

They are too complex for anyone other than Fox to fix, so when you have issues, you have no choice but to return it to Fox so you can spend more money and not ride....

Similar Products Used: Fox SID, Duke, Fox Float
Dan M   Cross Country Rider [May 10, 2006]
Strength:

Beefy, sexy, and strong... what more could a guy ask?

Careful when dialing up travel on-the-fly, your bike literally jumps at ya!

After suffering for years on my old-school Rock Shox, the Talas made me feel like I was floating, almost like the time I first got high. Remember that feeling? It's so nice...

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox, Marzocchi
Pentti Aaltonen   [Aug 28, 2005]
Strength:

Plushness, Travel adjustment, linear spring rate

Quality, price

A very nice fork, maybe one of the best available. Very smooth. The Talas system is great combined with linear spring rate. Even at 90mm the fork remains plush, unlike may others.

The crown developed a major creak after one month use and was replaced under warranty. Even my old cheapo oem zoke exr took the punishment of my local trails without any trouble, but this very expensive fork failed in a month in similar use.

Hope the new crown will last a little longer. If it still fails I'll sell the fork after repair and get a new '06 RS U-turn Revelation instead. RockShox quality seems to be better these days anyway, for half the price at least here in Scandinavia.