Fox Shox F80 RLT 2005 Front Shocks

F80 RLT

Same great race-tuned chassis as the F80X, without the TerraLogic feature. Instead, you get 80mm of travel with a compression lockout, adjustable blowoff threshold and save about 2/10 of a pound - perfect for riders who prefer the lightest ride possible. Magnesium lowers support both 51mm IS disc brakes calipers, as well as linear-pull (V-brake) brakes.

You get a forged 7075-T6 hollow aluminum crown, factory-tuned compression damping, plus a 12-click rebound adjuster so you can really dial them in; plus a high-flow open-bath damper and Fox-patent scraper lip seals to keep things running smooth. 2005 F80's feature a new, slim damper cartridge that helps eliminate cavitation and allows a wider adjustment range. The new cartridge saves 30 grams over '04 forks.

marcbryc84   [Feb 09, 2018]
Pros: Light weight, good working, enough plush. Great fork for xc
Cons: Lack of lockout from the handlebar
Price: -   New/Used: -    Model Year: -
Relliott6879   Cross Country Rider [Oct 18, 2011]
Strength:

Durability, dependability and longevity. Plenty stiff enough for me, smooth travel and reasonably light weight (by 2005 standards). Lockout works very well for road work.

Err..... I suppose they were quite pricey at the time and, if I'm being REALLY picky, the anodising on the adjuster caps has faded in the sun. The fork IS 6 years old though.

I thought I'd write this review as I've recently started using my bike a lot more after a couple of years' abstinence. I bought the fork (F80 RLT) new in 2005 and it has never once let me down. I've never had it serviced (slack, I know) but it still seems to work as perfectly as the day I bought it. I'm not particularly heavy (160 lbs or thereabouts) and my riding consists of a mix of XC trail riding and amateur level racing, coupled with road commuting (6 miles each way). The fork is plenty stiff enough for my use, I've certainly never noticed any obvious flex, even using a 185mm hydraulic front brake. The lockout feature is handy for road work (I use 700C Hope Pro II/ Mavic Open Pro wheels for this) and I've certainly never encountered any of the oil or air leakage problems described elsewhere on this site. Yes, it was a little pricey (£600ish), but to be going this strong after so long I feel this fork to have been a shrewd investment that has more than justified the initial outlay.

Similar Products Used: Rockshox Judy XC, Rockshox Judy 100 (OEM)
Kevin Santos   Cross Country Rider [Jul 26, 2007]
Strength:

Really plush. Really stiff. Tracks really well. No bobbing.

Kind of annoying blurping sound it makes when it hits a bump. Little pricey. The lockout knob, it sometimes touches the rebound knob accidentally turning it as you turn the lockout knob, screwing up your rebound adjustment.

This fork came with the 05 Stumpjumper I traded for one of my roadbikes. Since then, I haven't ridden road.
This is so much better than the Judys I've been riding on my first mountain bike. First time I got the Stumpy, first thing I noticed was the fork. I've been on the trails too much, my road bike is collecting dust.

Being a roadie, I have the ability to spin on hills with high cadence. When I rode my beginner mountain bike, I wasn't able to do that. But with this fork on lockout, I bombed up hills. One of the guys i passed even asked me: "do you have a motor on that thing?" I was surprised how the fork held up compared to the crap Judys I started out with.

The fork was an oem F80 RL. Being a highschool student with parents who would never buy me a $600 F80 RLC fork, I think I'll spend my summer job savings to buy a new fork with the compression option or just get my fork PUSH'D. I'm more likely to do that than upgrade my road bike.

This fork is perfect for any cross-country guys. Very plush, stiff, and effective fork.

Similar Products Used: Rockshox Judy C, Marzocchi DJ 3
sidrad mit   Cross Country Rider [Oct 07, 2005]
Strength:

stiff

oil leak

Really like the fork. Super solid. Lockout is nice. But the oil began to leak out. Full Cycle in Boulder replaced a torn O Ring but it still leaked so Fox is sending them replacement parts. They hooked me up with a replacement Bomber so I can keep riding. Very cool. It helped that I scored some bonus $ from my job to help offset the seemingly high cost of the fork. It would rate a 5 if it did not leak!

Similar Products Used: rock shox mag 21 and sid race
Bob Lang   Racer [Feb 05, 2006]
Strength:

It came on the bike, just to let you know, very smooth, doesn't leak air, stiff as heck

when locked out and you hit a big bump or something it squeaks a bit, Fox says this is normal though

Great fork for Cross-Country, Lock out comes in handy in the long climbs in races, handlebar lockout would be nice, very smooth, rebound super adjustable.

Similar Products Used: Marzzochi EXR comp, Manitou Axel Comp, Rock Shox SID Race, Manitou Black Elite, Marzzochi junior T
Craig Ogilvy   Cross Country Rider [Jan 09, 2006]
Strength:

Light, stiff and very responsive.

Price and the fork leaks oil, fox seals are really bad

I would not buy this fork if i new about the oil leaks and less than adequate fox forks seals, recommend going to eduroforkseal.com for better deals. At least fox are consistant, they fail all the time....

Similar Products Used: fox 100x
Neil   Racer [May 31, 2005]
Strength:

Looks great, very smooth when the trail gets rough, does not bind up when braking hard through bumps.

I don't know if it is just me but I have had more problems with fox shox. Last year I ran a F80X and had it sent into fox 3 times for repairs. This year I am running the F80RL and after only a few months it is leaking oil like a mad-dog! I am really disappointed with the fox trying to cut corners on their seals.

Bottom line is that fox shox are hit or miss, some work and some don't. We have a several people running fox shox on there new bikes this year and about 1/3 are having problems with their forks, the otherones have no problems and love the fork. I really think that if fox can work the bugs out they would have a killer set up. I think the fork shines best in braking bumps, when you are hard on the brakes, and hitting bumps it just works like it supposed to, smooth but stiff.
If you get a bad one though, Fox has a great warrenty department, unfortunately they know me by name!!

Similar Products Used: F80X, SID team.
Mark Edwards   Downhiller [Apr 15, 2005]
Strength:

Weight, overall feel, looks, adjustment

Flex, weight

This is a good fork, but it came with a little play between the stanchions and the lowers. Although I am used to a longer travel (5") Marzocchi, I like the fork a lot, even on the downhills. Being a downhiller I thought I would hate the fork but it seems pretty good. The lockout works well. Eventually I think I will replace it with a Marzocchi Marathon Race for stiffness and reliability. If you are racing XC or riding trails, this is a good fork.