Fox Shox F100 X 2005 Front Shocks

Enjoy the same lightweight chassis and TerraLogic performance as the F80X, except with 100mm of travel - perfect for 24 hour racing and other applications where you need a bit more travel. You get versatile lowers that support both linear-pull brakes and 51mm IS disc calipers, 100mm of travel, patented scraper lip seals, and an infinitely adjustable air spring. But the crown jewel is the TerraLogic technology, which distinguishes between rider induced forces (standing to climb or sprint, for example) and bump forces from the ground. This means you can climb out of the saddle, bob-free, yet still enjoy a plush fork that soaks up the bumps.

Since the F100X is equipped with TerraLogic, there's no need for a lockout mechanism - it's all handled automatically. You'll also enjoy tremendous longevity and reliability, thanks to features like Fox-patented scraper lip seals. The F100X also features specially designed, purpose-built internal and chassis parts to further reduce the weight. 2005 F100x's feature a new, slim damper cartridge that helps eliminate cavitation and allows a wider adjustment range. The new cartridge saves 30 grams over '04 forks.

Eric   Weekend Warrior [Apr 04, 2006]
Strength:

1) Automatic lockout simply has to be ridden to be believed
2) Climbs so well, I can almost take it rock climbing
3) Bump-threshhold and rebound damping adjustability
4) Smooth, stiction-free action
5) All metal; no cheap plastic; beautiful!

None (and I have >300 miles on it since I bought it used)

1) Uber-expensive, so I bought mine used (on eBay) to try it. You will be absolutely, utterly amazed at how it the Terralogic performs. (It is so stupifyingly good, I can't believe the other companies are even still in business anymore.) You can attack every climb completely out of the saddle with ZERO bobbing. Incredible.
2) This fork is almsot spookily clairvoyant the way it reads the trail: fully rigid on climbs, immediately plush at the slightest bump from below. It does the thinking for you so you just ride. If you are a trail rider (and not a huckster) you have just got to try this fork. I'll never ride anything else (I've also got an F80X on my singlespeed).
3) I got mine used, have >300 miles on it, have never, ever done any maintenance (aside from occasionally wiping the stanchions), and it performs flawlessly. I never add air. No leaking seals ever. (I'm 180# and I just ride twisty, steep, loose, rocky desert singlerack (no hucks, no jumps over 2 feet vertical)). If that's you, then this is your next fork. Fox forever!

Similar Products Used: Rock shox, Manitou (various forks, but none of the newer, stable platform ones)
Chris   Cross Country Rider [Aug 16, 2007]
Strength:

When working works very nicely, plush, stiff and terralogic fantastic uphills.

The Seals are complete sh1t. I have managed only 15 rides between each set of seals. The importers to the UK charge £90 for servicing which is approx $180. Yup, every 3 months. And that is for dry riding too - I daren't introduce them to mud! So now I ride my road bike unless there is something very special and dry to go off road for.

Anodising began wearing off after approx 30 (dry) rides.

Customer service - if you fancy being insulted give our UK lot a go. "It's clear you don't take care of your bike" errm no - my old bike is still running 97 Manitou SX Ti which are on original seals+bushings - which have lasted 5 years of XC racing. I build all of my bikes - road and mtb and have never suffered with any warranty problems before. Add that to the Scott with the Fox gets put in the loft from September to March to save the XTR, Genius shock etc being ploughed through the mud - and so I reckon I take pretty good care of them.

"Well in that case you must use commercial cleaner which has stripped the legs" - No again, just a sponge and water.

When I told them, the internet review sites were full of people complaining of leaky seals, the users of such sites are "idiots, simply life's whingers with nothing better to do"

The irony of this site is the number of similar reviews means that I can't flog these on ebay and get shut. So having spent all my cash on buying the best I've actually got rubbish and no change for some reba's!

Buy Fox forks at your preil!

Similar Products Used: Reliable old Manitou SX-Ti's.
Gene Furr   Weekend Warrior [Jul 16, 2007]
Strength:

Plush and overall build quality.

Seals leaked with stock set-up.

Outstanding fork once you learn to use Enduro seals. It cost me $75 to have the fork rebuilt at the local bike shop and that included Enduro blue seals. Ever since, not one drop of oil other than a normal light haze. This fork is undervalued for something that is easily fixed. Just don't use the stock seals. Hope this helps with the fork reviews from below.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox
Mark Mack   Cross Country Rider [Jan 24, 2007]
Strength:

It doesn't leak oil on the first day you own it.

THE SEALS LEAK. Seals leaked on both my '04 and '05 forks.

The seals leaked. I had my shop send the fork back to Fox. It was lost. For months. Fox did send me a new (2005) fork along with a pump (you know, for the inconvenience). You'll never guess what happens: THE SEALS LEAK.

The 90 day warrantee for seals really sucks.

So here's a question for Fox: THE SEALS LEAK!!!!

My shop charges $40 for the parts and $20 labor. IF you want to keep oil in the strut so it doesn't dry out and score the cylinder or otherwise permanently damage the fork then this is the gift that keeps on giving -- as in MONEY to Fox.

Pericles   Racer [Mar 02, 2006]
Strength:

I love the intertia valve technology! it really works for climbing!

Although the intertia valve works great for going up, I dindt like it when going down in some types of terrain. for example stone pavement , durability was baaaad. its so damn expensive

I really liked this fork. I had to get used to the lockout because jumping got kinda trickier because the fork didnt compress like a normal suspension fork. For climbing, It was great, I love that the fork got stiff by itself. When going down it was also pretty good, although on some types of terrain it didnt work as it should and my hands got numb. what really was horrible about fox is its durability. they start leaking oil pretty bad and soon. the intertia valve starts getting "soft" and doesnt work as well as it should. although constant mainteinance will keep this thing running ok. this is a full XC suspension fork, although I jumped with it a lot, it still worked fine for the whole year I had it on my racing bike

Similar Products Used: psylo race, marzocchi Mx comp
Tim   Racer [Oct 10, 2005]
Strength:

Virtual Lockout, 100 mm of usable travel that does not require high pressures to eliminate bob

Seals were bad from the first ride with leaking oil. Also, the inertia valve stopped working. This fork has required 10 weeks of warranty work during the previous 6 months.

Great fork when it is working. If I had paid $775 for an upgrade this would be the most diappointing cycling product I have every purchased. At a great price, it is still a big hassle wondering if it will be working during races or planned trips.

Similar Products Used: Rock Shox SID SL, Rock Shox Pilot
Jorge Bastos   Cross Country Rider [Jan 15, 2006]
Strength:

works very well in most terrains and is easy to adjust without any maintenance!

a bit heavy

Its a fantastic fork! I ride more than 4000 miles with it with no need to maintenance.

Similar Products Used: marzocchi Z2
Pablo   Cross Country Rider [Sep 13, 2005]
Strength:

Absorbs small bumps very good. It is good looking. Somewhat light. Somewhat tough.

Seals started leaking on the first ride. Doesn't work well or at least not as a marzocchi in reapeated, large bumps or while punishing it. Automatic lock-out worked well for about a month, now it bobs lightly. After about three months, it already had game and a wobbly feel.

When I took my first ride on this fork, I took it easy. I was amazed by the feel of the fork. However I noticed a bit of oil in the seals that I thought was normal until the fork was used a bit. After a month, the fork's legs were covered in oil all though I kept cleaning it. Because I followed all the maintenance schedule, I was surprised that the fork was dripping oil. I decided to have a full overhaul for the fork done. After that, I obtained no difference and problems kept bothering my ride. Tired of it, I decided to open it myself. I replaced the o-rings with an aditional seal, and tightened the original seals and dusters springs.
Now my fork doesn't drip oil, but automatic lockout doesn't work as when it was new, and it has already developed game.
Durability: O, nothing, inexistent.
When thinking in a supension fork, think only in a Marzocchi if what you want is to ride and not to think about hydromechanics.

Similar Products Used: Marzocchi.
Sam   Weekend Warrior [Oct 13, 2006]
Strength:

This is a follow up from my previous review (ie: after having owned the forks for ~15 months)

Stable platform valving works as advertised. Seems quite stiff

(1) Crown head assembly!!! After nine months of ownership, these things started creaking like there was no tomorrow. The stanchion tubes had warped within the crown so I ended up getting an entirely new crown head assembly. Fast forward another 5 months, and I am in exactly the same situation and in need of an identical repair!!! I have not abused these forks - I ride a 4" Titus Racer X and frankly, I am too chicken to hit anything more than a two foot drop!!!

(2) Fox (Australian) Customer service - my warranty claim was denied by Fox's Australian Representative as it was alleged (assumed?) that I must have had an impact or abused these forks to have bent the stanchions. I can appreciate that Fox must see all types of cases, but I know my style of riding and I NEVER mis-treated these forks. Like I said, I am a 38 year old that rides like an XC chicken! Despite explaining my riding style and asking for technical specifications used for their decision / assessment, I was fobbed off.

Two crown head assemblies in 15 months??? Whoa, something is up. When working, these forks perform well - I liked the conering stability and the way the inertia valving works. BUT the durability of these forks leaves a lot to be desired, which is completely unacceptable given the price paid for these. Apologies for the compelte turnaround from my first post below - the honeymoon is well and truly over :-(

Sorry Fox - between poor product durability and customer service that is frankly, nothing sort of insulting (at lease through your Australian importer), I doubt I will ever use any Fox product again.

Similar Products Used: None previously, just starting to look for replacements now.
Ryan Baumann   Cross Country Rider [Oct 23, 2005]
Strength:

Inertia valve design works. It locks out, but still sags. A very stiff fork. Tracks well. Smooth travel once the inertia valve activates. Threshold adjustment works.

Seals are junk, replace them with Enduro. The fork has a cheap paint job, brake cables rub off paint easily. "Harsh" ride feeling.

A great fork because it is perfect for XC racing. It is stiff enough for the most powerful sprints and descents, but it is plush enough for smooth travel when you need it. The inertia valve design works well, but you need to set the threshold adjustment just right. Too much threshold and the valve will not open while you are seated, and too little and the vavvle will open when you stand on semi-rough ground.

Invest in a pair of blue Enduro seals ASAP, the stock ones will lead on you for sure. Other than that, and the cheap paint that rubs off easily, a great fork.