Fox Shox 36 RC2 2005 Front Shocks

At under 5 pounds with 6 inches of adjustable travel in a single crown fork, the 36 is in a class by itself.

Weight: sub 5 lbs/ 2.2 Kg
Travel: 6 inches/150 mm externally adjustable with TALAS System 110mm – 150mm
Adjustments: External Rebound, Dual Adjust Compression – High/Low, Spring Pre-load (air)
Downhill-Freeride-All Mountain

rudyrocks987   Weekend Warrior [Oct 25, 2008]
Strength:

Its a really good fork. I have been riding it a lot since I got it and it is amazingly smooth. I love the travel adjustment so I can do the rough stuff when I want to and also hit some jumps and it will bring you though everything. AMAZING

It takes a while to customize it to fit your style, but once you do that, your set.

Its the single crown I have ever rode and one of the best single crowns on the market. I haven't had any big problems with it yet and hopefully it stays that way. I would get it any day and love to ride with it. It fits me perfectly.

Similar Products Used: Pike
John Young   Weekend Warrior [Mar 28, 2006]
Strength:

Stiff, light, plush (for a trail fork), TALAS, strong

loss of 5mm travel, but hey, I ride with the fork stiff so not a massive issue. Could do with better note for not overtightening the pinch bolts expensive mistake)

Great fork, for a trail fork the wind down is the biz, going to get the new 06 version as 13 clicks takes forever when you forget before starting to climb.
Only dropped around 12 to 15ft, but felt OK, predictable in rock gardens, have taken down several H courses and OK, not so good on the boulder fields of Pitfichie DH course in Scotland. makes my Switch super responsive on the front end for he tighter stuff.

Similar Products Used: Z1 - to easy to blow through travel, and heavy
36 VAN - put switch to half the travel on these babies and they are mine.
VAN 130 - loverly, perfect AM fork
TALAS 125 - nice, but stanchions to small for my liking
Dylan   Weekend Warrior [Feb 26, 2006]
Strength:

Overall look of fork is nice. Lot's of adjustment(HS and LS compression, rebound, travel, air) 36mm stanchions are a nice feature to have too. The fork is very stiff. The colour goes nicely with my bike(rootbeer coloured) Light.

Ok.. I bought the fork used, so maybe I had it coming. But to me, I don't see how ANY 1000 dollar fork could just break like this. The travel adjust was stuck. Won't move. Stuck, at 110mm. My lbs couldn't figure it out, so now it's at fox. Seems like a scam, considering service charge is 25 bucks and shipping is 8. So just to get the fork there is over 30 bucks.

Anyways... my man Carl was an honest dude, and said he would pay for the fork to get fixed, since he said it worked(long story. But Carl, props)

Other then that, the fork is nice. It would be better with about 5 click instead though.

while I did get a chance to ride the fork for a day. It is plush, it is light, and it looks sweet. I am not happy, sending in a fork that costs this much, to have it fixed. Not serviced(which should be able to be done by lbs anyways) but fixed. I will ride the fork for this season, and if I don't like it I'm buying a manitou nixon. Maybe I'll have better luck.

Fox.. please work on this fork, and stop letting people down.

Similar Products Used: Nothing really. Had 2 shermans before this fork. Rode a few zocchi Z1's.
Ryan   Cross Country Rider [Oct 30, 2006]
Strength:

Plush and stiff

Lost an inch of travel. This is horrible for Fox to put out a product that cost this much and can't hold up. I didn't spend this much money for a 5 inch fork and I feel burned by a company I thought made a quality product.

Fork feels good but has lost too much travel. I have lost faith in Fox.

Similar Products Used: Rock shock pike, Marzoch Z150
Ted   [Jul 27, 2006]
Strength:

Tunability

Loss of travel!!!!!!!!

THIS FORK IS RIDICOULOUS! FOX IS BASICALLY GUILTY OF FALSE ADVERTISING BECAUSE MY TALAS 36 RC2 HAS ONLY HAD 5.9 INCHES OF TRAVEL FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF 2 MONTHS OUT OF THE 9 THAT I’VE OWNED IT. I JUST SENT IT BACK TO FOX FOR THEM TO FIX IT FOR THE SECOND TIME. NOW, THEY WILL FIX IT, AND IT WILL WORK GREAT FOR ABOUT A MONTH , THEN IT WILL START LOOSING ITS TRAVEL AGAIN AND I’LL EITHER HAVE TO RIDE IT THAT WAY FOR A WHILE OR I’LL HAVE TO BE WITHOUT MY MAIN SQUEEZE FOR 2-3 WEEKS. THAT MY FRIENDS IS A SHI**Y DILEMMA! I WISH FOX WOULD GIVE ME A VAN 36 RC2 OR MY $1000 BACK! BOTTOM LINE: DON’T BUY A FOX FORK

Chris   Downhiller [May 11, 2006]
Strength:

Plush and stiff

Loss of travel, poor customer service, cannot recomend this fork, I would never buy another air sprung fox fork

Rode this fork for a year, it lost travel and now gets 5 inches. My shop sent it to fox canada to get warranty servicing, that was 4 weeks ago, no one knows when I will get it back, absolutely brutal customer service. Makes me wonder if fox did enough testing before they brought this fork out.

Matt M   Weekend Warrior [Jul 04, 2005]
Strength:

FORK IS VERY STIFF AND TRAVEL ADJUST IS NICE WHEN GOING UP A LONG CLIMB. VERY TUNABLE.

i HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITHE THE TALAS AND THE DAMPENING SIDE OF THE FORK. THE TALAS HAS BEEN REPLACED AFTER A MONTH OF RIDING KEPT CREEPING DOWN TO 140MM OF TRAVEL. I HAD FOX PUT IN A NEW TALAS SYSTEM AND AFTER ONLY THREE RIDES IT IS BACK DOWN TO 145MM OF TRAVEL. NOT A BIG DEAL BUT THE FULL 150 WOULD BE NICE. I ALSO BLEW THE DAMPENING CARTRIDGE THE FIRST MONTH. IT LOST OIL IN THE CARTRIDGE AND LOST DAMPENING THE FIRST HALF OF THE STROKE. TOOK 3 WEEKS TO GET IT BACK BECAUSE THIS FORK IS ALMOST 100 PERCENT NON SERVICABLE. WOULD BE MUCH BETTER IF FOX GAVE MORE INFO ON REBUILDS AS THE OTHER MAJOR SHOCK MANUFACTURERS DO. THIS FORK IS GREAT WHEN EVERYTHING IS WORKING BUT I THINK THERE ARE STILL SOME BUGS TO WORK OUT.

I FEEL THIS WOULD BE A GREAT FORK ONCE THEY GET THE BUGS OUT, IT RIDES GREAT BUT THE FAILURE OF SOME OF THE FEATURES IS A REAL BUMMER. FOX NEEDS TO MAKE A MORE RIDER MAINTAINABLE FORK SUCH AS ALL THE OTHER FORK MANUFACTURERS. I THINK THE OVERSIZED STANTIONS AND ADJUSTABLE HIGH AND LOW COMPRESSION IS A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. i HOPE TO SEE A MORE BOMBPROOF PRODUCT IN THE FUTURE.

Similar Products Used: MONSTER T, PIKE TEAM, MARZOCCHI Z1, ROCK SHOX BOXXER
Adrian   Weekend Warrior [Jul 31, 2005]
Strength:

Stiff,tracks like a train.Good weight, for 6" travel.Tuneable, good range of adjustment.

None so far, expensive but all good things are.

I've had no problems with travel adjust yet, I don't use it on the trail as I ride always in 6" mode to keep my bike balanced, when climbing you get more traction with the travel so I just lean more forward or stand for the steep pinches. I cycle it as part of my maintenance procedure, I also always use a GOOD torque wrench on all things. I agree that better user service possibilities would be a good thing.
The fork is the only otion when you gotta ride to the top of a steep technical trail, if you don't mind walking you can get something heavier. I find lower psi and more hs compression for general trail use is good and little more ps for qownhill.

Similar Products Used: psylo, exvert, vanilla R
Dano   Racer [Aug 08, 2005]
Strength:

Rock solid, easily adjustable

none so far

very nice fork for my needs, I keep it @ 140 mm for general cross country riding, no problem climbing. Of course, if I'm going to climb a really long hill I'll twist the knob all the way down and if I'm going down a long or steep run I'll twist it the other way. I don't know if the complainers are racers or what, but it takes maybe 5 seconds or less to change the height and if you are agile you can do it while riding. and once you find a setting that suits your riding style you don't need to change it very often if at all. And the BROWN color looks great with my brown ano enduro.

Similar Products Used: talas rc, sid,
El Chingon   Downhiller [Jun 02, 2005]
Strength:

Small bump sensitivity. Bottom out resistance. Fork only has 5 5/8th's inches of travel. You have to stop riding to dial down the Talas adjustment. Price

My initial impression of this fork, was that it was great. But the more I have ridden it, the more it's weaknesses have manifest themselves. The fork has lost some of it's travel, and to avoid bottoming the fork out on drops over 3 feet, one has to add pressure to the fork, thus killing the small bump sensitivity. The travel is much to linear. It would be nice if the high speed compression adjustment only affected the last 3 inches of travel, to help with bottom out. I just sold mine, and ordered a Z-1 FR1. Zoke all the way for me. My advice is to wait until the coil version of the 36 is available this fall.