RockShox Sid Team 2004 Front Shocks

Sid Team

Cross Country Racing Suspension

SID® is preferred by more racers and cross country riders than all other forks combined. Could be because they're the lightest XC forks you can ride. Or it could simply be that racers who use SID® win.

mountainclimb   [Aug 30, 2013]
Strength:

very durable and dynamic given all the adjustment settings. very comparable to newer shocks in the market today. super light, great for racing.

lockout for climbing is great, but you must purchase the remote lockout or remember to switch before descending.

after 9 years of heavy use still working great. if you keep up with require maintenance, this shock will last for ever. I weight 170lbs but I have heard that it an flex if you go over the 185lb. you won't go wrong with this shock.

donpepin   Cross Country Rider [Dec 02, 2011]
Strength:

Weight, smoothness, look and size

Slight flex

great fork, 7 years of use. need to check the pressure every now and than, exclusive look. I weight around 79 Kg. and +140/-120 Psi works great for my needs. I do not know if they have improved the flexing problem and I hope not by making more fat arms.

Similar Products Used: Manitu
Mike   Racer [Jun 25, 2004]
Strength:

This is truly one of the best forks i have ever ridden, it is definatley smoother than any others in its class, like the skareb, and even the fox. The 2004 is also supposed to be stiffer than previous models, and i think its true. i used to have an old sid and it flexed quite a bit but the new one is great. Air internals, negative air to control the bob, on the fly lockout, compression and rebound ajustments.

None at all, maybe not quite as stiff as the fox forks, but a hell of alot lighter!

It is the best fork i have ever ridden, ovalized lowers make it a lot stiffer than old ones, BUY IT, dont even Consider the other ones, make the change to SID!!

Similar Products Used: 2000 sid, 03 skareb super (reverse arch doesn't make sense???!!), other various old forks
andy   Cross Country Rider [May 22, 2004]
Strength:

lightweat kick ass race fork. remote lockout is better than i thought it would be.

didn't come with the slippery stantions, but i think that will wear off after time anyways. a little flexy around corners but nothing to cause for concern. rock shox only going back 3 years on replacemant parts is kinda lame

i have been riding sid forks for 5 years now. i have not had any problems with them. the new Team is saweet. i absolutely love it. the only downside is a little flex here and there but the rest of the ride is worth it. remote lockout works great. no problems whatsoever. this is the perfect shock if you are around 160pds, and a racer this is the shock for you. if you weigh more than 180 pounds forget it. too flexy for a heavier rider. cheers

Similar Products Used: 00' SID XC,
Tom Becksted   Weekend Warrior [Sep 27, 2004]
Strength:

Super LIGHT! (2.8 lbs)
LOCKOUT rocks!
Plush dampening
Excellent rebound control

Cheap plastic lockout control tab
Squishy noises when dampening

For $350, this fork ROCKS!! After setting the dampening & rebound, I virtually eliminated that damned pogo effect when climbing and when standing/pedaling on straightaways!

With lockout engaged, the fork still travels a few mm, but that was no big deal. On rough, meandering terrain, reaching down to engage this feature isnt very practical though, one needs remote control to fully exploit this ability. The lockout tab is also made of cheap plastic, its already got cracks in it.

In sharp, hard, fast turns (dirt & paved) it performed beautifully! No flexing or brake rub here, but I'm also only 155 lbs. After some 200 miles though, it still makes squishy noises when dampening, i think thats here to stay.

Overall its a damned good fork & I highly recommend it for XC (Its not for people over 185 lbs!)

Similar Products Used: Manitou 6
Rock Shox Pilot C
Dougal Torrance   Cross Country Rider [Aug 24, 2004]
Strength:

Super light and amazingly plush, very adjustable. The Lock out (when it works) is great

Seals (I think)

It seems I have one of the slightly less well built SID Teams. I lost the lock out after my second race (a 4 hour ride). I think the problem is in the seals as there appears to be a bit much oil collecting on the uppers. Apparently the lock out function on the forks works by restricting (or stopping) the flow of oil through the fork, so any seal leaks will stop this function opperating. If you're wondering, I didn't actually use lock-out during the race, just noticed it pretty well wasn't there afterwards. The lock out lever also started to rotate so that eventually I had nothing but locked forks. Given that I'm a first time user of these otherwise excellent forks, I'm prepared to admit that some of these issues may be because of user error (i.e. over rotating the lock out knob). I would recommend these forks to other riders, on the proviso that if you buy them off the net, rather than at the local bike shop (LBS), you get them serviced by the LBS and get them to have a look at the seals. (Also try to get them with the remote lock out... buying it separately later is proving to be expensive ($AU 300) and difficult). It's going to cost me about $100 (Australian) to get the forks serviced and re-oiled. If it turns out that I caused the problem I'll post another review here telling what it was I did wrong or what the fix was. Happy riding!

Similar Products Used: RS Judy RS Pilot
Hakan   Weekend Warrior [Aug 01, 2004]
Strength:

Lightweigt, Remote lockout, reliable, overall good quality, plushness. good looking.

Riding with this fork is like dream, making xc like never before, very good control.
Remote lockout is a must have for going uphills. Make sure that you let go off the lockout when start downhill or going fast on bumpy terrain- if not it might develop play on lockout, however can be fixed on service (it hasnt happen to me but some friends)
Ýnformation about weight of the fork (digitall scale) 1410gr for the fork- uncut and 77 gr for remote.

Overall I'm very happy with it...
It is for pure xc riding and racing and for the weight weenie in the mind

It is NOT for Downhilling or jumping as Rockshox says in the manual Also not for people weight more than 185 lbs (i think might flex then & bottomout)
If matter I weight about 176 lbs

Similar Products Used: Rockshox Mag21
dalle001   Racer [Jul 06, 2004]
Strength:

This is my first air fork and it is super smooth. My bottom jaw was dragging on the ground after the first ride. The weight is awesome. Doesn't seem to have any of the problems described with previous years' models (ie air loss, bad seals...)

Pricey MSRP.

This fork is one of the lightest on the market and it is SMOOTH.

Nick   Racer [Apr 19, 2006]
Strength:

cheap. Light

Flex

I wanted something light to get into xc racing, collegiate. I am somewhat of a newbie. Got a good deal on an 04 closeout. I weigh 225 and the flex is noticable. Kinda scary on the steeper sketchier descents. I guess with my weight and the light weight of the shock that should be expected. I could sacrafice a lb and get a marz. but will wait till this one is dead first. I am still happy with this shock though. This is the first performance front fork that I have bought and like how smooth it feels. Feels great actually. Havn't had the chance to use it on anything too rocky but have used it enought to appreciate how smooth it feels. This is so much better what I have used before. The lockout is messed up right now though. I think its just the set screw, but havn't had a chance to look at it yet.