RockShox Sid Race 2004 Front Shocks

RockShox Sid Race 2004 Front Shocks

Cross Country Racing Suspension

SID® is preferred by more racers and cross country riders than all other forks combined. Could be because they're the lightest XC forks you can ride. Or it could simply be that racers who use SID® win.

[Jun 01, 2007]
KiwiJames James

Strength:

Price vs Weight ratio!! This is light..and durable thus far. Have yet to have it rebuilt. Use this for Xterra...flawless. No air loss....

Lock out would have been handy a few times, but there's another model for that.

This is X-country only...anything more in required travel will overload this shock. I'm a clydesdale triathlete and occasional xterra participants....and I noticed the difference heaving it all up Tunnel Creek to the flume for the NV races.
With the settings maxed out, it has held up great. As for flex, I have discerned it a few times, but not critical.

Dukes for a few years. Manitou Blacks

[Dec 29, 2003]
Steve

Strength:

I'm one of the people out there who ride the cross country hard and for what its worth this fork can cope. I had last years model but it sprang minor leaks from the Negative Air Chamber. One Saturday I had it pumped to 160psi and after four hours riding it droped to 120 (although it was very plush at 120psi),this is not on. The new fork how ever has not given me any grief. Its pressure has stayed the same since I got it in October. It absorbs the bumps like a hot knife through butter and if you set the rebound up nice along with the right amount of sag for your weight you are laughing all the to the single-track and back. And of course it's the lightest fork around.

I could not put in my Hope Head Doctor in the steerer tube, I do not know why but it just did not fit. I had to replace this with a standard top cap and it's fine now.
Also Rock Shox could have used better seals on the upper tubes. I think Marzocchi Marathons or X-Fly's have much better seals. Apart from that minor thing, nothing.

Well worth it, you will see for yourself. You will notice the difference straight away unless u've been riding something sh*t. Now even more worth it with the big UK price cut.

Marzocchi Marathons and X-Fly's

[Mar 20, 2008]
trailmutt

Strength:

Light weight, used a SID (not sure which one) on my hardtail before I bought this bike and did not have many problems so I stuck with it (big mistake)

Keeps having to go to the shop because it loses it's travel and bottoms out all the time. Way too flexy for any hard riding in squamish or Vancouver. I am putting a marathon SL on now instead

This one caused me too many problems and not sure if the shop knew how to fix it properly. Sending it to the commuter, I think it is at the end of it's life.

[Sep 05, 2005]
Mike

Strength:

Very light, great performance, very tuneable, good looks

This has been a great fork for me. It has a excellent feel when setup fairly stiff, won't be a boat anchor on the front of your bike, looks great and has been very reliable. I don't notice the flex like some of the other reviewers. I wanted a nice light fork and the SID Race has worked great. I cannot understand putting a 4.5 pound fork on the front of a bicycle unless your trip is all downhill. Even at the full price, I would still buy this fork again.

Manitou carbon Ti, Manitou Minute One

[Sep 05, 2005]
Dave

Strength:

Very, very light. Great xc race fork and not bad all round performer. For a very light rider like me they work extremely well and with 75% of all adjustment done by air, fine tuning it to rider weight is not a problem.

Even with my minimal weight they were flexy and were not very solid on the downhills, alot of deflection. They are unreliable. I thought they were good value but with all the servicing they will need, the money will add up. Some of the internals broke on mine in less than 10 months of very mild xc use. But i didnt service them in that time.

Great xc race fork, probably the best you'll get. But they flex, are weak, quite unreliable and need alot of maintanance to keep them in running order. I would recommend Rebas over these.

[Dec 19, 2004]
Lars

Strength:

it is great for racing especially for a cyclocross race(if you use a mountain bike) extra light

it is the best xc fork i have used beside the fox vanilla but for cross country it is the best because of how light it is
i definatly recomend this product

rock shox Duke, sr suntoir, rock shox judy xc

[Aug 26, 2004]
George

Strength:

Lightest fork on the planet, great looking fork, very adjustable, can use disc or V-brakes, comes in my favorite color-black.

Not the quality of a Fox or Marzocchi for this type of fork but costs much less. Lock-out would be nice but the additional cost is substantial. As with all air forks there is some stiction.

A very light and good fork for the money that's great for XC. Not made for freeride, Jumping, and general abuse. If you use this fork for its intented purpose, it should hold up well. This fork gets better every year. I enjoy riding on 80mm forks and I'm glad Rock Shox is still making them. Not everyone wants lots of travel.

Lots of forks from Rock Shox, Fox, Marzocchi, and others.

[Jul 30, 2004]
Aaron

Strength:

This is the ultimate in KISS (keep it simple, stupid) philosophy. Easy to adjust, understand, and maintain. SUPER light! Very plush without dampening, stiff as hell with dampening pressure. All adjustments are sensitive AND they cover a huge range. Very little lateral flex, unlike previous years models.

Difficult to find a happy medium in terms of dampening. Riders should consider the lockout version. Definately not as plush as some other forks on the market (FOX comes to mind), but weighs a pound less than anything better.

I don't think anyone's going to be dissapointed with this fork. It is incredibly light. When compared to other ROCK SHOX forks, I think this fork feels the best. However, it does not have nearly the same quality of ride as FOX or Manitou.

Same thing with the lock-out from 2001

[Dec 06, 2005]
Jay

Strength:

very Light, very tunable

fragile, flexy

I've been please with this fork for one season. Worked fine from may to the begening november (tune-up made by the end of august and after the season at LBS)

Second season was'nt as good: worked fine from may to begining of july-lost half of travel (!) Tuned it up at LBS (they are class A mechanics) worked well for another 2 weeks then lost half of travel again. No leak. LBS again.

Even if I'm racing, I ride smoothly. Honnest. I weight 160lb, and the steerer has been cut short. (The longer steerer you have, the more flex you get.)

BOTTOM LINE : This fork has given me great times in the woods, but is not solid enough even if I do use it like I'm suppose to. To be as light as it is, they build it to thiny. It does flex. Compare it! When it flex the bushing (and all the fork) compress laterally and wear. The fork is good and reliable for one season (if you forget the flex issue), but is not trouble free. No more Sid for me.

My next fork will still be light, a little heavier but wont be as fragile as this one. Looking for Magura Ronin, RS Reba WC, fox RLT. dont know yet

life is outside