RockShox Pilot SL 2004 Front Shocks

RockShox Pilot SL 2004 Front Shocks

[Feb 19, 2013]
Lanvillas

Strength:

Everything

Nothing

I am in "shock" at all the less favorable reviews?! 8 years riding in all conditions with this fork and I couldn't have asked for more. You can increase the PSI and have a very stiff fork or back off the PSI and have a lot of absorption. I have run it at low and higher PSI and have been very impressed with the way it absorbs yet isn't "mushy" when pedaling. In fact, I have taken the bike on 50k rides with roadies and kept up and didn't feel like all my energy from pedaling was going into the shock.

It is as good as any shock I have ever had (including the one on my pro-level fs bike).

[Nov 18, 2008]
T Robot

Strength:

Really good performance, especially on harder hits. Really adjustable.

Does not look too stiff because of thin lower legs

Dirt Cheap and does the job well. Pretty adjustable and alot of bob on the out of seat climbs but perfect if you stay seated when clibing.

Rockshox TORA 07, countless RST's, 04 Rockshox SID

[Feb 11, 2004]
Wim Bonami

Strength:

-Adjustable rebound
-80 to 100 mm
-does what rockshox sais it can do

For the riding i do it's ok, but i guess that if you want to do more serious riding you need a "biger" fork.

Great fork, does the job for you everyday rider who doesn't jump from buildings. Very nice for XC en some freeriding, but don't go to hard on it because it might bottom out when you come down tò hard. But everything is adjustabele, rebound and airpressure, so it is virtualy impossible to bottom out except when you put to little pressure on it! Clear manual for the fork and the maintenance is very simple. Air pressure adjustment via the top of the fork, beneath a cap. --> Easy to clean and adjust, great for riding!

manitou sixsport (with ancient:-) materials)

[Apr 26, 2006]
Brian

Strength:

Plush on the downs. Adjustable rebound.

Bobby on the ups. No fine adjustment to rebound. Plastic (as opposed to aluminum) top caps. Schrader air cap didn't thread well for me.

Good fork for entry level or folks who are new to suspension'd mtbs (as I was). Seemed to require a lot of air adjustment and attention toward the end of its tenure. In my op, not the type of fork to purchase, but the type to come stock.

Up'd to Marz MX comp eta.

[May 29, 2005]
Estiaan Ferreira

Strength:

None except Lockout that does'nt work
None further

In for a service after 2 long rides. Cluking sounds on each bump, rock. Weight.Leaks air
Flexy

This is a S%#t fork I do not recommend it to you. This is A k@k fork that does'nt do his job

Rock shox judy tt

[Mar 25, 2004]
Stevie

Strength:

Well it do is a fork and the looks are okay.

May I kindly draw your attention to the fact that all the pilot and judy crap has chromed steel upper tubes. Now what does this mean in practice.... THEY CORRODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not trying to prevent you from bying this fork, but hell no, I would never buy it again.
I also sent an email to RockShox about this problem, but apparently they didn't even feel like they had to answer this email.
So byebye RockShox and hello Manitou

[Jan 30, 2005]
tyler

Strength:

Good Travel when it has full air. Must have full air for the stiffness to allow good control.

Blown seal twice, this has spent more time in the shop than on the trail!!! GRRRRRR!!!! Wouldn't recommend this to anyone my size, 210lbs. This fork can't hold the pressure rating at the PSI I need.

This fork has been a series of frustrations and near misses for me. I am out on a great ride and the seal blows, I loose all my air and the rest of the ride is scary because of the washout from the fork. I have had the seal replaced and took it home, pumped it up for a ride the next day and the seal blew in my garage. Not a great thing. Don't buy this shock.

[Nov 19, 2004]
Kevin Ballou

Strength:

Worked good for about 3 months, made tons of noise. I took the spacer out to bring it to 100cm travel,worked good for about 2 months. If you are a moderate rider the shock might last longer, but if you want a shock that can take a beating this is not it.

Seal's dont last shock leaks oil like crazy, and constantly needs air. I would not recommend this shock

Shock not built well and will not last if you ride aggressively on a regular basis

Manitou XC

[Dec 01, 2004]
Reed Ellis

Strength:

This fork is great. It is plush, and very adjustable and very easy to adjust via the air pressure. This was my first air shock, and it is much more sensitive to small bumps than my old coiler.

none that i can find, except for maybe it loosing maybe 5 psi at the end of a rough ride at my favorite trail. thats what a shock pump is for though. this was expected because my LBS told me about it, so i will not knock off any chilis.

I only weigh 125 lbs, and i hae the shock set up at 130 psi. I loose very little to no air after rough rides, maybe its just because i'm so light. The fork is good over small jumps, drops, and excellent over rough, choppy xc terrain. i love the fork and see no reason to upgrade. once again, i believe my light weight has alot to do with why all my parts last so long. If your a lighter rider, this fork is an excelent choice.

this was my first air shock

[Sep 14, 2005]
Kevin

Strength:

Don't know of one.

The shock broke at the dropout on a paved forest road. I hit a bump and flew.

Don't use this shock it could kill you.